Police fit up Mitchell?

(122 Posts)
CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Wed 19-Dec-12 08:33:31

Seems like someone at the Met lost sight of the truth in their anxiety to smear the former chief whip. Amongst other things, a little matter of 'several members of the public were present' shown to be a lie. Article. Appalling.

tiggytape Wed 19-Dec-12 11:33:45

I hope nobody thinks it is justifiable to lie about someone, trash their reputation and them lose their job just because you don't happen to like them personally or politically.

Any notion that some people deserve to be treated that way is pretty worrying because whoever you are, there's going to be someone who doesn't like you and doesn't agree with you.

Whatever your views on how likeable Andrew Mitchell is or isn't, if it turns out that he was telling the truth and the police colluded to issue false allegations about him than that is really serious and he has suffered as a result in a way that anyone should feel horrified at.

Nancy66 Wed 19-Dec-12 11:43:13

I've had the police try and manipulate me into giving false evidence.

I saw a police officer use unnecessary force on somebody who was, admittedly, drunk but posing no threat whatsoever.

Police claimed the guy threatened them with violence when I, and two of my friends, heard him say nothing more threatening than 'are there any taxi ranks nearby?'

Police wanted us to say we did not have a clear view of what happened - when we did.

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Wed 19-Dec-12 12:07:00

Just had to say love HQ's headliner on this in discussions of the day .... "Gategate" grin

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Wed 19-Dec-12 12:16:29

I"m not surprised. I was always surprised he admitted swearing and apologised for that but repeatedly denied using the work "pleb" - it made no sense at the time.

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Wed 19-Dec-12 12:18:07

Being a good lass I've had few encounters with the police, some OK, but two less than good ....

When I was a student in Bristol a group of us, including some foreign students, had to defend ourselves after a group of local lads demanded our friend get off a games machine using racist insults. A fight ensued in which my friends were only defending themselves. But when police arrived they seemed to overly take the side of the locals against our racially & culturally mixed group of students.

When I reported a beloved ring stolen (from the changing room lockers during a swim) in Brixton I was persuaded to report it as lost or missing and not as stolen. I wasn't impressed with that either. sad

catsareeasier Wed 19-Dec-12 12:18:36

LikeAVirginMary "I also think that Andrew Mitchell should be given another job in front line politics. Not because I'm a Tory (I'm not) but because any one of us would expect our job back (or suitable compensation) if we lost our jobs in similar circumstances."

I agree he should expect his reputation to be restored (on this point). But he still has his job - he is an elected constituency MP. Anything else is just a bonus at the Prime Minister's whim. Downing Street's loss is Sutton Coldfield's gain.

nochipsthanks Wed 19-Dec-12 12:26:32

I have also had a police officer lie blatantly (in court, over the details of a minor traffic incident) about a family member who was completely innocent. It was gob smacking, not least because the whole thing was so minor that I could not even see the point of lying the way he did. My DH got off though. (We were stopped when going about our business and when my DH enquired with bewilderment 'why have you stopped me' the policeman got aggressive and said 'right, I'll do you for dangerous driving' - and did. It was FALSE)

Oh, and for people who say that Mitchell is 'clearly unpleasant' or a 'knob', why do you say that. Because he is a Tory or something else? Because I am NOT a Tory voter, but work in international development and he was a very good and supportive international development secretary, even when members of his own party were against the ring fencing of international aid.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Wed 19-Dec-12 12:35:30

i saddens me that the actions of the one bad apple will bring the whole service into disrepute.

however - the reports i saw seemed to indicate that there were 3 officers involved and so far only one has been accused of lying. (and rightly arrested and being dealt with)

that means that the fact remains that the other 2 were truthful in their account of what happened.

I think we will find out eventually what has happened but because there is an ongoing investigation no one will be able to comment.

nochipsthanks Wed 19-Dec-12 12:38:28

That is a good point Vicar.

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Wed 19-Dec-12 12:45:59

"that means that the fact remains that the other 2 were truthful in their account of what happened"

Not necessarily. The piece linked shows up some glaring errors in the original statements. The duration of the alleged incident is far too short for the amount of interaction that was meant to have taken place. It's clear there has been a lot of embroidery.....

Nancy66 Wed 19-Dec-12 12:47:43

i don't think the other two can have been truthful - otherwise they would have pointed out that the third officer was lying. Staying silent is as bad as lying.

chipstick10 Wed 19-Dec-12 13:00:06

Some really good points on this thread. At the time I was really quite surprised at how the sun newspaper went with this shabby story hook line and sinker. It was almost like a witch hunt, totally with only the word of the officers involved. I wonder if they were trying to make amends. As in the week before if I recall correctly, the whole hillsborough story had broken again showing the terrible lies and cover ups by the police. The sun had massively ballsed up originally when kelvin Mckenzie, the then editor had printed the infamous headlines.

picketywick Wed 19-Dec-12 13:04:11

"The greatest lies are told in silence" Quote often quoted. I dont know its origins; but it rings true.

Then again, I suppose we all keep quiet when we should speak out at times.
On Plebgate, Channel 4 TVs head ferret seems to have got a big story. He used to work for Newsnight. Likes chasing politicians and asking them questions on the run.

Nancy66 Wed 19-Dec-12 13:06:17

i really don't think you can link this to Hillsborough - the findings of the panel were released about 10 days before this story so, in newspaper terms, Hillsborough was old news.

prh47bridge Wed 19-Dec-12 13:07:26

Vicar - We know the account given by the two officers on duty is at least partially incorrect. They stated that there were onlookers outside the gate who appeared shocked at the language used but the CCTV footage clearly shows that this is false. The CCTV footage is silent so cannot directly confirm or refute their account of what was said but the duration of the incident and the demeanour of both Mitchell and the police officers do not seem consistent with the heated encounter described by the police.

I think this will lead to a huge crisis of confidence in the police but also a lot of criminals demanding the witness evidence in their cases gets looked over again.

It will cost a fortune and more importantly stop people from trying to help the police.

picketywick Wed 19-Dec-12 13:14:21

Truth is the first casualty of war. And it looks as though this was a war between politicians and police.

gingercat12 Wed 19-Dec-12 13:20:11

It seems to me the nasty party is back. I am so enjoying this!

Takver Wed 19-Dec-12 13:20:48

"Met fits up member of the public" . . . not exactly hot news, is it grin

prh47bridge Wed 19-Dec-12 13:25:03

It seems to me the nasty party is back

Why? Does the police lying about a politician somehow make his party nasty?

Callisto Wed 19-Dec-12 13:32:45

Personally, I couldn't give a shite whether a member of the cabinet comes across as nice or nasty or a complete nob. As long as he/she can do their job effectively and well then personality should not come in to it. And as far as I am aware, Mitchell was extremely good at his job and well respected by most.

The police are facing cuts like everyone else, the scary thing is that unlike most civil servants, they can do serious damage to peoples lives at will. Holding cabinet ministers to ransom like this is truly appalling.

niceguy2 Wed 19-Dec-12 13:32:48

Mitchell is unpleasant at best.

I don't know him so cannot comment on that but regardless of whether he's a nice man or not. The police cannot make stuff up because they dislike someone.

Mistakes of course are made and I could have accepted that maybe the officer misheard and genuinely believed he was called a 'pleb'. If that was the only issue then maybe....but it does seem like that as time goes on, there are more inconsistencies coming to light and it's starting to look like a total fit up.

If that is the case, not only should the officer in question lose his job, I'd like to see him prosecuted and put in prison.

gingercat12 Wed 19-Dec-12 13:41:26

prh47bridge Police allegedly lying. Even a policeman is presumed to be innocent until found guilty. Mitchell's deputy had it in for him though.

picketywick Wed 19-Dec-12 13:46:48

War between Tory Party and police is news. They traditionally were on same side. So this may be a runner.

LikeAVirginMary Wed 19-Dec-12 13:50:42

catsareeasier - yes I should have said given his position back in front line politics, rather than getting his job back, as I realise he did not lose his seat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now