Disability hatred in action. Woman with MS finds note on windscreen calling her a scrounger after hospital appointment.

(38 Posts)
Darkesteyes Tue 27-Nov-12 01:14:26
Darkesteyes Thu 29-Nov-12 21:56:21
cory Wed 28-Nov-12 21:11:21

In the olden days (say when my granddad was diagnosed in the 40's), cancer was pretty well a death sentence, so you wouldn't be hanging around for years requiring disability support whilst receiving treatment. You wouldn't, of course, recover either...

Granddad went into hospital, wasn't even told that he had cancer (they didn't discuss things with patients in those days) and died within months. Cost the taxpayers very little. Unlike my inconsiderate MIL who is still alive, though partly paralysed, 17 years post-diagnosis and consequently requiring a fair bit of care.

44SoStartingOver Wed 28-Nov-12 17:50:18

My mum was issued a badge when being treated for cancer.
She could walk, but chemo left her wobbly, weak and tired.
On good days, she would maybe come out for an outing, sometimes somewhere exciting and glamourous like the local shops. Being able to park close by made this a realistic possibility.

It meant the difference between getting out in public every so often and never leaving the house, other than to visit family or the hospital.

To look at her, you might think she was a bit slow getting about.

I guess without some experience or imagination, people decide that without a wheelchair, people must be hale and hearty. People can be very dim.

PerryCombover Wed 28-Nov-12 17:38:31

I'm sorry ExitPursuedByABear I missed that you did it on doctor's advice
I apologise wholeheartedly.

Makes sense why you would have felt very uncomfortable applying, especially given the criteria

cory Wed 28-Nov-12 12:21:12

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 27-Nov-12 11:52:23
"There was a steady trend over the last 10 to 20 years to determine more people to be unable to work than ever before. This despite a free healthcare system employing all the latest technologies which should, in theory, mean that we are healthier as a nation rather than less so."

Should it? Might one not expect this to be offset by the fact that more disabled children and children with chronic conditions survive the early years and that elderly people whose disabilities would have killed them before they got to retirement age might now be able to live for many years after? And does not the prevalence of blue badges reflect the fact that disabled people these days are expected to work and look after themselves as far as possible: not be locked up in an institution or languish on some Victorian sofa waited on by their relatives?

I think I mentioned in one of my posts that I had been advised to apply for a badge by a doctor to whom I had been referred by the Occupational Health Service via my Employers.

I answered all the questions honestly.

Thanks Joyful for your support.

Perry I am sorry if you felt that I was minimising the scheme - that was not my intention.

<exits>

PerryCombover Wed 28-Nov-12 01:46:47

Also, tone clear, it really wasn't an attack

PerryCombover Wed 28-Nov-12 01:23:20

Good lord that wasn't an attack ( this is an attack)*
Why when you disagree with something someone has said is it an attack? I was polite and educational.

Being granted a blue badge involves not only permanent severe disablement relating to mobility and also a rather an involved application process with strict guidelines.

Given the thread and the on going disabled person bashing in the press and on the board at times I found exit's comments unhelpful.

This was because I felt that her post implied that although she wasn't severely disabled (but had some pain with movement) she had simply applied online and was automatically granted a blue badge.

(I could have asked why she was applying for a disabled badge if she didn't feel she required one? I didn't.)

I felt it right to publish the criteria necessary to be granted a blue badge. So that people are educated about the blue badge scheme.

If exit had fulfilled those very stringent criteria, which are questioned and explained during the application process then imo she would feel very strongly that she required a blue badge.
The blue badge application terms are very clear in detailing that you must be permanently severely disabled in terms of mobility.

If this were the case why would she be minimising the scheme ( IMO) by saying ..I just filled in a form online and next day they said I'd qualified..v uncomfortable with this (paraphrasing)

* said in Crocodile Dundee fashion

Why attack exit? confused She was relaying her experience, not saying that blue badges are handed out willy nilly!

PerryCombover Tue 27-Nov-12 19:55:01

exitpersuedbyabear

The conditions required are:
Permanent and substantial disability, which means very considerable difficulty in walking. The distance considered is usually less than 100m.

Badges are provided to people who are unable to walk or virtually unable to walk or who are able to walk only with excessive labour and at an extremely slow pace or with excessive pain.
Applicants should generally be physically incapable of visiting shops, public places.

If you fall within these guidelines ...of being permanently virtually unable to walk without excessive pain then you may qualify for a badge
Without higher rate DLA your claim will be examined for eligibility.

Doesn't sound like an easy or ideal qualification to be able to prove to me...that the application is online is possibly to help those who already meet the criteria of being in receipt of higher rate DLA or are registered blind or a disabled war pensioner.
Otherwise it's the beginning of a very strict criteria based process

I find your comments not very helpful in these circumstances given that most people have no idea how difficult it is to get a blue badge or the level of mobility/life impairment required for eligibility.

Yellow

I knOw that area well it is the only place you can park . The so called official car park has about 20 spaces

Hopeforever Tue 27-Nov-12 18:51:46

CogitoErgoSometimes the new ATOS assessments are using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Yes there are people who abuse the system, but not the huge % who are being taken of ESA (what was incapacity).

An average of 35 people a week die while waiting for their case to be reviewed after they have been told they are well enough to return to work.

I have been fighting the system, I can't work due to chronic health problems, I'm only out of bed for about 6 hours a day at most, can only be active for 20 - 30 minutes at a time. Some days i cant get downstairs. Who would employ me?

voddiekeepsmesane Tue 27-Nov-12 18:43:46

Though I suppose he dosen't drive ....but then again we get the looks as a couple with a young family in our 40's having a blue badge ... a majority of the lookers and tutters are over 60 until DP reveals his cane. As for parking as long as I park without causing obstruction I will get as close as I bloody well can so it is less stressful for DP AND me.

voddiekeepsmesane Tue 27-Nov-12 18:38:01

Makes me laugh ..."because she can walk"!!?? DP can walk but because he is blind he dosen't know WHERE he is walking!!

Tanith Tue 27-Nov-12 18:27:59

Agree with Toughasoldboots.

You forgot the "cowardly", though. And the "loathsome".

Interesting.
I've been asked to do some press about the 'scrounger' perception.
Watch this space....

Oh and for info, anyone who thinks that a blue badge means you can park ANYWHERE think again. You can still be ticketed for causing an obstruction. Yes you can park on some double yellows (as long as there's no loading restrictions denoted by a vertical stripe) but if you cause an obstruction or a danger to other road users or pedestrians you can be prosecuted.

There is nothing more to say other than it's a spiteful, nasty little creature who wrote the note.

steppemum Netherlands Tue 27-Nov-12 13:41:41

sorry, been off line for a while
No, I have no sympathy for the writer who was a lying and rude. I do not agree with anything he/she says, and the letter should not have been written. There is never any excuse for the things in the letter, and it is none of anyone else's business whether she claims benefits or not (and it isn't relevant to how she parks)

And I know that blue badge holders can park on double yellows which is also fine, and totally appropriate, and I think it is in principle a good system.

What I was trying to say was that there are times when the choice of where to park is better than others. I can think of one or two places which do severely hinder traffic. As we have no idea where she parked or if she had chosen well, or if she had a choice. The point is that we don't know.
I will back out now as this has gone onto a whole other level

MiniTheMinx Tue 27-Nov-12 12:28:33

Cog I agree, that at first glance Wolfs assertion looks barmy, as did that piece written in the mail a few months ago where the women journo likened the Conservatives of Nazis.

But where do these stories of disabled people carrying wardrobes come from? The media hype these things up, they purposefully skew reality to fit with an agenda.

It is not an overstatement to say that conservative ideology (read Edmund Burke in his own words) feeds into right wing economic and political theories of the deserving and undeserving welfare claimant.

If you consider the multi-national nature of some media empires it can be proposed that media, not only share these right wing ideologies but actively promote them because it fits with their agenda over wealth and power protection. Look at Murdoch as one example.

There is a very hostile attitude now towards people with disabilities, maybe because some claim to be more disabled or their children have minor afflictions that can be "assessed up" so that they can make claims, I am not completely ignorant of the rising tide of "disability" but the fact remains, the neo-liberal state confers freedom on some, enslavement of most and actually created this headache in the first place. Added to which "experts" are always very keen to find all sorts of new conditions and the big pharma companies are keen to flog drugs (how many MPs have shares in health and pharma)

If you sell people the idea that freedom is money, don't be surprised to find that people equate more freedom with more money and claim accordingly! especially against a backdrop of falling wages and rising costs. All too easy then to equate rising claims with rising taxes, lower welfare payments and cuts must follow on the back of selling people the idea that the poor, sick and disabled are "useless eaters" the whole thing is sick beyond words, Hitler was very clever, he didn't just round the Jews up, he convinced the German people that the Jews were scum eating their food, impoverishing the state, causing inflation etc..& bankrupting Germany.

threesocksmorgan Tue 27-Nov-12 12:01:50

here we go.....
must tell dd to stop pretending she is disabled.

I genuinely didn't know that about double yellows and blue badges, I suspect not many people do (that's not a defence of the note-writer by the way).

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 27-Nov-12 11:52:23

"So when Wolf says that there are similarities between the early years of Fascist dictatorship and the states authoritarian measures at control, I believe her."

And I think that's a pile of crap.... There was a steady trend over the last 10 to 20 years to determine more people to be unable to work than ever before. This despite a free healthcare system employing all the latest technologies which should, in theory, mean that we are healthier as a nation rather than less so. It wasn't just the sensationalist 'allegedly disabled man videoed carrying a wardrobe!' stories that meant someone had to look into this. It was also the RL experiences of too many others - myself included - that meant the system had lost integrity. And whilst I'm sorry if anyone feels they have been unfairly judged by the new assessment procedures and that some ignoramuses have chosen to jump on the bandwagon, we are a long, long way from a Fascist dictatorship....

I can walk, but never without pain. I just filled in a form on line and got a reply the next day that I was entitled to a badge. Mind you, it hasn't turned up yet so maybe they have changed their minds.

I feel very uncomfortable about it.

Apparently because my degree of mobility varies (somedays I can't walk unaided to the bathroom, some days I can walk the half mile or so to the village and back) I'm not entitled to one. But as I say, I see that as a positive thing most of the time .

Really Joyful? I was advised by a doctor I saw through an OHS Referral from work to apply for a Blue Badge. I never in a month of Sundays imagined I would be entitled but apparently I am. Maybe it depends on your Local Authority. It has not arrived yet, but I feel very, very strange about having one, and will probably use it only rarely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now