Savita Halappanavar- the thread to actually talk about the case

(106 Posts)
ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 15-Nov-12 16:00:11

Away from the madness of the other thread.

I see I have had my first post deletion on five years of mumsnet! Given the circumstances though, I am unrepentant.

madwomanacrosstheroad Sat 17-Nov-12 02:06:08

Belfast Telegraph tonight has an interview with a woman who was in a very similar situation in the Royal Victoria Hospital in 1990 and only survived because her husband put up a massive fight for medical staff to induce. Staff at the time said they could not legally authorise an abortion even though there was no chance for the baby at 17 to 19 weeks. She was showing signs of infection and only after her husband brought in their 2 year old SN child and basically screamed the place down that this child needed his mother was she given treatment. She just about made it.

pointythings Sat 17-Nov-12 17:59:37

verylittlecarrot you're right not to be repentant, you were right. I'm amazed I wasn't deleted too, given my response to your deleted post.

madwoman I just hope Savita's husband doesn't feel he could have saved his wife if he had screamed the place down sad.

And the original Hippocratic Oath dates back to before Christianity, medicine has moved on since then. The oath is not relevant in and of itself. The principle of medical practice should be 'First do no harm'. Going by that principle, the doctors treating Savita failed dismally in their duty of care.

squoosh Sat 17-Nov-12 18:17:41

An estimated 20,000 people marched through Dublin this afternoon in protest.

edam Sat 17-Nov-12 18:21:21

Very glad to hear it. Hope the politicians and medical profession were listening.

Morloth Mon 19-Nov-12 07:59:38

What was done to that woman was pure evil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now