Will Amazon be convinced into dropping Yodel?

(47 Posts)
Empusa Tue 28-Aug-12 01:13:13

Story here

^"Amazon is facing mounting consumer backlash over its use of delivery company Yodel, with shoppers complaining of missing and damaged goods and orders that never turn up.

In the past week alone more than 100 people have joined about 5,000 others who have posted messages in Amazon's online forums calling for the online retailing giant to stop using the parcel delivery company. Some of these have also taken to Twitter to vent their anger, while yet more have posted tales of woe on Facebook."^

I suspect those 5,000 are just the tip of the iceberg.

Have definitely had more problems with Yodel than successful deliveries. In fact, if a parcel hasn't arrived, or we've received a "Sorry you were out" card without anyone knocking then I can pretty much guarantee it was a Yodel delivery.

cocoachannel Tue 28-Aug-12 23:00:36

Ah, Hortia, we have a mutual friend...

OMG!! Do you also have the whooping cough friend?

cocoachannel Wed 29-Aug-12 10:43:08

No, NN is a very good friend of my sister's!

Aha, well waves anyway and you'll have realised my real name from my comment on her post!

cocoachannel Wed 29-Aug-12 18:44:30

smile I will reveal myself so we're square!

SunWukong Wed 29-Aug-12 19:06:48

My postman regularly just leaves things on the doorstep without knocking, City Link adamant that they tried to deliver twice and carded me found out they was trying to deliver to the wrong house. Yodel had my ps3 going round and round in the van for 6 weeks with the idiot on the phone blaming delays due to snow (what snow?) and the chump on the net saying they can't find the address and refusing to let me go pick it up even tho they are like 10 mins from my flat. In the end i contacted the parent company and a guy from hdnl turned up with it.

Ithink twice now before ordering large items from amazon this tablet i am using now i just got and paid extra for express in the hope of avoiding them which i did

Aha...!

xkittyx Wed 29-Aug-12 20:28:09

I had awful service from Yodel, delivering a mattress from Dreams. Didn't turn up during my allotted delivery slot, had to then go to work and about an hour later the driver phoned me for directions. Explained I was no longer in. My DH then said he'd pop home and take the delivery if I wanted to phone the driver back and let him know he could deliver after all. Phoned driver back - he told me rudely that he'd set the order status to "delivery refused" so that I'd have to pay for redelivery!

Phoned Yodel, after an hour going in circles and being given other numbers to calll, and waiting on hold, I was told that they would have to refer it to a customer service team as the deliver status meant I'd have to pay another £35.

At this point I phoned Dreams and told them it was their problem to deal with or I'd cancel the order. They had a bit of a nightmare with Yodel themselves but at least they did it for me and kept me up to date, and eventually got the mattress about two weeks late.

EldonAve Wed 29-Aug-12 20:31:40

City link are just as bad - don't ring the bell & leave parcels in the yard

pixiepoopoo Thu 30-Aug-12 19:20:45

Just repairing my letterbox and recovering from a Yodel delivery.
After tracking my parcel online to find a delivery had been attempted, failed and my parcel was now back in the depot imagine my suprise when I returned home to find my letterbox vandalised .
Yodel had made a suprise delivery and had forced the parcel through a painted over with several layers of paint letterbox so strongly that the back flap was on the floor with the parcel.
I have a secure postbox in the lobby of the apartment block I live in so I have no use for the letterbox in my front door. So in common with many other residents I have painted over it.
Still can't understand why the Yodel courier walked past the post boxes in the lobby to get the lift to the 3rd floor and then discovering the letterbox sealed still insisted on stuffing the parcel through?

Would you believe it...?

Today a Yodel driver parked outside my house, rang the doorbell, waited for me to answer, handed me my parcel in perfect condition and smiled nicely.

Am in shock.

NakedButNotFamous Fri 07-Sep-12 11:21:12

Never had a problem with Yodel. Royal Mail and Parcel Force are far worse. Never get a parcel when I am meant to. Complained to Amazon but it's pointless really

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 07-Sep-12 11:36:30

It's often down to the individual delivery driver rather than the company. And a lot of them are franchised. It is a really shitty job, impossibly short times to deliver parsley, financial penalties if parcels are returned to depot....

Of course you could get better service but you would have to pay more.

LizzieMint73 Tue 11-Sep-12 15:42:11

Always get the feeling of dread when the 'Good news your item has been despatched!' email arrives and it says that it will be delivered by Yodel.

It really is a classic example of 'pay peanuts, get monkeys' and I think it really is time that everyone stopped pretending that parcel delivery is ‘free’ and accept that to provide an acceptable service, the customer needs to pay for it.

I agree that parcel delivery is a crappy job and it would seem impossible to make a living wage out of it, in fact BIL did something similar for a while and he couldn’t make it pay – it is considered to be ‘self employed’ which means that the driver takes all the financial risk and there is also an expectation by Yodel etc that the driver exploits the tax credits system and the HMRC 45p per mile for vehicle use allowance to make up their wages.

LizzieMint73 Tue 11-Sep-12 15:48:22

Sorry, meant to say, 2 of my memorable Yodel deliveries, one was left on our front step in full view of the road (the card said it was in our 'porch' - we don t have a porch confused). Luckily I had only popped out for about half an hour, so picked it up quickly, but typical - I was otherwise in all day and they turn up when I go out for a short while!

The other wasnt a delivery at all because the parcel was stolen from the van - they actually entered this on the online tracking system and seemed surprised when I called them to find out what to do next - they obviously thought that, as they didn't have my parcel anymore, their job was done!

Chocchip88 Tue 11-Sep-12 15:55:22

Just thought I'd go against the grain and say I have always had good service from Yodel. The local delivery driver is great, always remembers I have little ones sleeping so knocks rather than ringing the bell.

NicknameTaken Thu 13-Sep-12 11:12:38

Had a horrible time with a particular Yodel driver (for an ELC package, not Amazon). I went out of my way to make myself available for the delivery, with the exception of one time-slot when I had to collect DD from nursery. He made about 6 or 7 attempts to deliver, all during that one bloody off-limits time-slot. It wasn't a misunderstanding, as I spoke directly to him when he managed to deliver part of the order (not his fault that the order somehow got split up).

Never had any problem with Royal Mail.

whois Wed 10-Oct-12 17:37:09

ARGH Yodel are the worst delivery company ever.

Latest parcel from amazon hasn't arrived, despite saying on the tracking it has been delivered.
I have never had a single parcel form Yodel actually arrive.
The queues outside their depot are always long (me thinks they don't try and deliver, just hold it at the depot). I have seen them turf people out of the queue at closing time!

I wish Amazon would go back to RM. Never had a parcel lost or late with RM and their sorting offices are much handier than the cheap-o delivery companies.

CaptainHetty Wed 10-Oct-12 17:44:15

Oh Yodel grin

They attempted a delivery here on 28th September. Stuck a card through the door that said he'd left it near the bins... No parcel. We searched for 15 minutes for the fecking thing. Called the company who'd sent it (no point trying to contact Yodel, there's a number on the card but if there's actually another human being at the other end I'm the Queen of Sheba) and they said actually, it had been returned to the depot hmm

Two rearranged deliveries later, still no parcel. Hasn't even left the depot since it was taken back. Store I bought from has assured me it'll be here tomorrow, we shall see. I don't hold out much hope, to be honest. They're beyond awful.

Paradisefound Wed 10-Oct-12 17:48:42

Agree!
Still awaiting delivery due Monday this week. Have a feeling this one has gone AWOL.
A few weeks back I was waiting for a parcel and yodel tracking said it had been delivered and signed for at 9.40 am. That morning I was at home.. There was no delivery. So I phoned yodel, they gave me the drivers mobile number. I phoned him and asked him where my delivery was. He said he was doing his other job and would deliver after 4 pm!! He was obviously fiddling the tracking system ... So I guess yodel have no control over their staff.

picnicbasketcase Wed 10-Oct-12 17:55:40

Yodel left an Amazon parcel worth £170 inside our wheelie bin in the day the bins were to be emptied.. Thankfully we got home before the binmen came and the Yodelling bloody idiot had posted a card through to say they'd left it there. Wouldn't have thought to look in the bin otherwise and it would've been landfill half an hour later. angry

Acumens100 Wed 10-Oct-12 18:09:30

Every time Yodel deliver to our house they claim we're not in, despite the fact that DP has been bedbound for three years.

He's definitely in!

We have CCTV entry system and have resorted to sending them logs on occasion. They remained unmoved. They are not a reality based company.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now