Bridgend plans 'McPath' between school and fast food outlet

(17 Posts)
MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 07:08:30

This makes me furious. Here you go: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jul/04/mcdonalds-bridgend-wales-school-mcpath?CMP=twt_gu

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 07:09:09
CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 05-Jul-11 10:29:59

Save your fury. If they're risking their little lives trailing along a busy road to get there, makes sense to give them a footpath. (And if they get nicely fat on chips it's not going to hurt so much if they do end up in an RTC....)

Panzee Tue 05-Jul-11 10:32:33

When a McD's was built near a school locally to us, they realised that the quickest route from one to the other included a very busy road with several lanes. McD's sprung for a pelican crossing. Traffic would not have stopped those children, so it's better to make it safe.

bruxeur Tue 05-Jul-11 10:36:37

The penalty for eating fast food? Death or disability from a ped-v-car RTC, the fat little fuckers. That'll teach 'em.

Did Leni Riefenstahl do your wedding video?

Pixel Tue 05-Jul-11 19:15:32

Mmm, well 'in my day' they would have just made it out of bounds if it was dangerous, not spent 100 grand on a route to a shop. It's not like they will starve if they can't get a burger in the middle of the day, I bet McDonalds can't believe their luck!

SecretNutellaFix Tue 05-Jul-11 19:23:00

It's not McDonalds building it ffs.

It just happens that the route the path would take for the children to safely get to their homes that are nearby happens to pass a fucking McDonalds.

On that same retail park is a huge Tesco, a Comet, a Next is opening this week, a Currys, a Lidl, a Brantano, a Pets at home. Oh and a KFC, homebase and Wickes.

TheFalcon Tue 05-Jul-11 22:03:47

McDonalds should not be allowed to have outlets within a 1 mile radius of any schools.

SecretNutellaFix Wed 06-Jul-11 00:08:17

Neither should any food places, by your argument. It's just as possible for the kids to go to tesco and buy tons of crap instead of lunch. For less money too.

mayorquimby Wed 06-Jul-11 00:54:20

I knew as soon as I saw the title that this would be reactionary bollocks.
"Supporters say it will create a safe route to the McDonald's and also to a residential area. "

The proposed path linking Brynteg School in Bridgend, south Wales, to a retail park and homes is being discussed by councillors and the school

"The road, as a major route, is extremely busy and presents a significant hazard for our pupils. The establishment of a footpath along the proposed route would significantly enhance the safety of our pupils.

So not some carefully planned attack on our children where by a path specifically links the door of a school to the mcdonalds, possibly with a travelator which then forced them inside and compels them to purchase the food until they are obese, all due to an evil ploy by McDonalds. In fact it's a safety precaution by the council to enhance the safety of a route which is being used regulalry by scores of children daily to access a retail park that has a McDonalds and which also provides access to a residential area.

MilaV Wed 06-Jul-11 09:54:00

Oh I admit I went too quickly through this... you're absolutely right, it's sensationalist. Will read more carefully next time before unleashing my fury ;)

Still, McDonalds (and the like) sucks, and I think it's shameful the way they target young children.

pickgo Wed 06-Jul-11 17:09:43

*Teenagers interviewed inside the restaurant also supported the money being spent on the McPath.

One said: "It's really dangerous. Nearly everyone in my year goes down at lunch [at McD's] and the sixth formers are always there. Let's face it, school dinners are rubbish."*

Unlike McD's then?

TheFalcon Wed 06-Jul-11 17:13:49

I wonder how many kids in that school are obese?

Aren't 6th formers supposed to be intelligent?

bruxeur Wed 06-Jul-11 19:09:50

Oh, I'm sure they are a bit. Maybe some of them can even read whole articles and threads before commenting!

cowboylover Wed 06-Jul-11 19:16:56

The School has an excellent sports programme and has in recent years produced some of our best Welsh rugby internationals and Gavin Henson!

That is all smile

MilaV Wed 06-Jul-11 20:39:07

oh touché bruxeur. It's my ADHD. ;)

nightingale452 Thu 07-Jul-11 18:31:46

In my day (80s) we were not allowed outside the school grounds unless we had a special pass to say we were going home for lunch - why are schools letting them wander around at lunchtime?

I went to a very ordinary comprehensive - was that an unusual rule? My DD1 will be going to high school in 2 years and I'm not sure I like the idea of her wandering around at lunchtime buying McCrap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now