Teachers to strike - 30 June

(1002 Posts)
meditrina Tue 14-Jun-11 15:16:47

breaking now on SKY

Overwhelming vote by 2 teachers' unions (92%)

chipstick10 Tue 14-Jun-11 15:18:01

Selfish buggers.

meditrina Tue 14-Jun-11 15:18:15
IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 14-Jun-11 15:24:31

why is selfish? teacher pensions are self sustaining so nothing to do with the deficit.

meditrina Tue 14-Jun-11 15:25:24

Presumably all union members will strike (perhaps only covering public exams). Is the the majority of teachers? Will it inevitably close all schools? (State and independent?)

It's just the NUT and the ATL so far - dh's union (Nasuwt) not finished balloting I don't think.

exams are finished by then (thankfully)

telsa Tue 14-Jun-11 15:30:14

Good on them - huge walkouts everywhere on 30th!

Isitreally Tue 14-Jun-11 15:45:14

All union memebers are supposed to strike if their union votes for the action.

I don't know how many strikes will be called, if any, in addition to June 30th but can see teachers rapidly losing public sympathy and support if it goes on and on.
Too many people are facing working until 68 or don't have pensions at all or have been made redundant to be totally sympathetic. Having to juggle additional childcare right before the Summer Holidays is also going to be very tough fo rmany working parents.

slug Tue 14-Jun-11 15:49:34

How is it selfish? It's being done at a time that will cause no damage to the children's education or their exam prospects, thereby probably shooting themselves int he foot at the same time. But I guess that depends if you view teachers as haighly qualified educators facing a forced reductionin their terms and conditions, or unpaid babysitters.

chipstick10 Tue 14-Jun-11 15:50:48

well said Isitreally

Saltire Tue 14-Jun-11 16:02:40

isitreally - I agree.

psiloveyou Tue 14-Jun-11 16:04:59

Also agree with Isitreally

bobbysmum07 Tue 14-Jun-11 18:38:16

Teacher's pensions are ridiculous. There should be reform. The teacher puts in something like 5% while the state puts in 20. It's obscene.

As ever, teachers are totally out of touch with reality. It would serve them right if the pension scheme was abolished.

Strutter Tue 14-Jun-11 18:41:10

PHEW i dont work on the thursday

MaureenMLove Tue 14-Jun-11 18:42:52

Does anyone know, if it makes any difference if you work for an Academy or not?

We are newly appointed as an academy, so I'm not sure if the same rules apply. I really should know this, but I don't and as someone who will be at work on 30th June in a school, I'd quite like to know, how bad it could possibly be!

Are you in a union? It is a union action so members will be expected to strike wherever they work.

EvilTwins Tue 14-Jun-11 18:46:19

"As ever, teachers are totally out of touch with reality. It would serve them right if the pension scheme was abolished."

What ignorant bollocks.

Hooray. Another teacher bashing thread.

nicespam Tue 14-Jun-11 18:49:12

any stike action isn't generally supported on mumsnet, whatever industry

Lucycat Tue 14-Jun-11 18:50:21

My Union the NASUWT didn't ballot us - we had a ballot along the lines of 'if we were to ask you what you thought about a strike what would you do?'

We have had our latest pension statement and we are working until 68 too isitreally although I can totally sympathise re the unemployment thing.

MaureenMLove Tue 14-Jun-11 18:50:34

Not a teacher, so although I am in a union, it's not me.

Thanks though. smile

LawrieMarlow Tue 14-Jun-11 18:53:31

The ATL voting for strike action is very unusual.

Wonder what will happen in DCs school. I remember when I was at primary school and there were longer NUT strikes some classes had to go in (think I was in a class with an NUT teacher both times it happened).

herbietea Tue 14-Jun-11 18:53:38

Message withdrawn

donnie Tue 14-Jun-11 18:56:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

maxpower Tue 14-Jun-11 18:56:31

I sympathise with the teachers, but they have to appreciate most of the working members of UK society are in the same boat (or worse). At present, from what I understand, their jobs are safe albeit they have to work a bit longer - for that they should be grateful. I'm public sector, I'm facing changes to my pension and longer working but my job is under threat. If I had to choose, I'd have job security and accept the pension terms.

This thread is not accepting new messages.