So child benefit to go for higher rate taxpayers

(1017 Posts)
foxinsocks Mon 04-Oct-10 07:22:32

So says George osbourne on breakfast telly. Missed the details but sounds like it comes in from 2013!

HowAnnoying Mon 04-Oct-10 08:02:14

MuminBeds If he's not paying 40% then you'll keep you're CB.

They must be planning to adminster by using tax codes?? So if you're tax code is in that band no-one in your household gets CB?

(I know nothing of tax-codes but just guessing!!)

Lovely way to start the day.

DH earns £43,800. Doesn't pay higher rate tax (on the cusp of it although will check). I earn about £7,000. If we do lose CB would seem a little annoying that two people both earning £30,000 say, wouldn't.

But can see a few more details are needed.

"So if you're tax code is in that band no-one in your household gets CB"

But how would they know that I am in my husbands household? I use my maiden name still, and being in the same house doesn't mean anything.

Oh great!
We have three children and our CB is £188 per month. That will be quite a hole in the finances when that goes.

HOw are they going to handle the home responsibilities aspect of CB?

DuelingFanjo Mon 04-Oct-10 08:05:50

I am confused

the BBC says that it will effect families earning £44,000 a year. That's the combined wage?

That's me then, just about. Me and DH have a combined wage of £46,000. Jesus Christ. We may sound well off but it's really not true.

peppapighastakenovermylife Mon 04-Oct-10 08:06:14

Libra

The household income is NOT THE SAME.
Single income household £44,000 take home £32,270.40

Dual income household on £22,000 each take home £34208

That is why childcare costs need to be taken into account in these things I think- if you add childcare for two into the dual income household they will effectively have around
£20,000 yet will not get CB, TC etc.

However if a family only earns £20,000 in the first place they will be entitled to CB and TC probably pushing their income up to around £30,000.

DuelingFanjo Mon 04-Oct-10 08:06:34

And.... this is yhet another Consrvative policy which will push women back into the home against their will FFS!

MumInBeds Mon 04-Oct-10 08:06:34

A family with more than one or two children is really going to be hit hard, especially with the tax credits too.

HowAnnoying Mon 04-Oct-10 08:06:44

"But how would they know that I am in my husbands household? I use my maiden name still, and being in the same house doesn't mean anything."

The same way that they know if you're in the same household for Tax credits, everyone will have to fill out a form when they claim the benefit.

Avantia Mon 04-Oct-10 08:06:48

Ok Child benefit is paid to me - I pay basic tax rate (just earn over the personal limit ) .

The benefit is paid to ME not to me AND DH so intrigued how it will work . DH earns just over the £44,000.

confused

DuelingFanjo Mon 04-Oct-10 08:08:24

Also - don't Child benefit payments count towards the NI payments of many women?

Grrr. The whole point of child benefit is that it was paid to the mother regardless of father's income as it was for the child/ren and last time I looked, my DCs were earning zero.

southeastastra Mon 04-Oct-10 08:09:30

they really are targetting the benefits and services of women and children aren't they? bastards. angry

Avantia Mon 04-Oct-10 08:10:33

dueling fanjo - yes CB has somthing to do with womens NI - wish someone could explain it fully . Tried to explain it to my MIl but failed [embarrassed]

scaryteacher Mon 04-Oct-10 08:10:36

The HRP aspect has already been altered if you check the Direct Gov website. Once your youngest hits 12, there is no more HRP. That started in April this year (thanks Gordon).

I don't see how they can withdraw this from the person that claims if that person has no income, even if their partner is higher rate. As we have independent taxation, they cannot know (I presume) who is married to whom, unless they go by address, if no benefits other than CB are claimed. I also assume that that would break internal data protection? Big can of worms opening here.

Same here - dh is the higher rate taxpayer butI have always claimed CB. It was always my money, my contribution - when I wasn't working, when on mat leave and it's great because everybody gets it and everybody relys it as being there. NOw there will be a new system which will be expensive to run and complicated and nobody will rely on anything because the thresholds will shift and this beautifully simple benefit which supported the raising of children and the parent taking time to do that will be immersed in a marsh of red tape and acrimony.

Bloody outstanding from the Tories I think angry

sweetkitty Mon 04-Oct-10 08:11:17

Oh great, DP earns just over this just now and we have four children, Child Benefit of £225 a month.

We need that money it pays for the childrens clothes and school activities.

44K is not a lot of money especially if you are in the South East.

So not only are you taxed at a higher rate after 37K you are also losing Child Benefit and Tax Credits remember?

Avantia we are in almost the same position. I can't imagine it being not on household income tbh although the higher rate tax being bandied about wouldn't suggest that.

HowAnnoying Mon 04-Oct-10 08:11:43

Avantia, then you won't get CB after 2013. Tax credits are paid to me and so is CB but I don't work, but because DP earns more than £40k I won't get tax credits next year, nor will I get CB from 2013.

LadyBiscuit Mon 04-Oct-10 08:12:43

What a lovely way to start the week. Yet another way that the Tory cuts are hitting women hardest

sarah293 Mon 04-Oct-10 08:13:42

Message withdrawn

Guacamole Mon 04-Oct-10 08:13:55

They're talking about it again now... BBC

MarshaBrady Mon 04-Oct-10 08:15:04

Ah dh just heard on r4. What a load of shit!

HowAnnoying Mon 04-Oct-10 08:15:11

Riven, the tax band limit rises every year with inflation anyway, so he is just assuming that's what it'll be by 2013.

MumInBeds Mon 04-Oct-10 08:15:12

"Around 15% of families - 1.2m people - will be affected by the reform." (also from News

I wish I had time to search for the statistics this may be based on so we could then work out exactly what's going on.

This thread is not accepting new messages.