Biro pen on leather sofa - tried hairspray and bicarb and it's not working!

(19 Posts)
PollyFlinders Fri 15-Aug-08 08:07:40

There's quite a large scribble of biro in the middle of our new leather sofa sad. It's a browny coloured leather, and have tried hairspray and nail polish remover on the sample and both stripped the colour off...

I thought bicarbonate of soda might lift a little of the colour off, but that didn't work either.

Help!

prettymum Fri 15-Aug-08 08:18:30

try perfume, its taken out biro off our cream leather sofas and permanant marker off various other things!

MaryBS Fri 15-Aug-08 08:25:17

Can you claim for "accidental damage" on your house insurance, ours covers us for "acts of children" hmm. If so, then get a professional company in. Alternatively, did you buy it on a credit card? Some cc companies include 3 months insurance on items you buy.

Other than that, stain devils do a biro remover, may be worth a try, I think we've used it on our leather suite at some time...

watsthestory Fri 15-Aug-08 08:26:02

Message withdrawn

superloopy Fri 15-Aug-08 08:37:32

Methylated spirits got the biro off of our sofa (big thanks to DD!!).

I dabbed it on with a cotton bud and it did the trick.

You may want to test on and less obvious spot first tho'.

Good luck!

littlemissloopy Fri 15-Aug-08 08:41:18

Try a baby wipe, you would be suprised at how many marks they get rid of. Won't hurt the leather either.

PollyFlinders Fri 15-Aug-08 11:55:26

I might have to try the professional company then. Nail polish remover stripped all the colour out (did it on the sample swatch to test), and the baby wipe didn't move it.

Might have to check the house insurance too, worth a try...

Thanks!

PinkPussyCat Fri 15-Aug-08 11:58:21

We got blue biro on our cream sofa a few years back and managed to remove it with milkshock

(Just regular cow's milk, not any other sort!)

A long shot I know....

PinkPussyCat Fri 15-Aug-08 11:59:08

(That should obv read 'cream leather sofa')

I second the baby wipe, gets biro off everything.

NotDoingTheHousework Fri 15-Aug-08 12:03:33

Message withdrawn

cremolafoam Fri 15-Aug-08 12:15:51

Magic sponge from JML will do it
in woolworths

CountessDracula Fri 15-Aug-08 12:17:03

try vodka

MascaraOHara Fri 15-Aug-08 13:00:17

butter

PollyFlinders Sat 16-Aug-08 04:52:04

The milk faded it! Thanks for all your suggestions. You can still see the stain but it's barely noticeable now, hope it fades eventually.

Phew.

missbeetha Tue 30-Sep-08 18:04:22

Yes! The perfume really worked! Luckily I found one of those counter samples to use instead of my nice (running very low) smellies. I have a cream leather sofa and the blue biro came out easily after applying it with cotton wool. I wish the baby wipes were the miracle workers but I was using Tesco's and they only removed a shade of blue. Maybe the brand makes a difference?

bumbling Fri 03-Oct-08 17:45:33

Just seen on another thread. A cream leather sofa with hair dye on it and someone suggested Cuticle Remover. Principle being leather is a natural fibre, ie skin. The OP tried it and said it worked fabulously. Thought I'd put this here for the record!

Snapey66 Wed 18-May-16 19:00:03

Just want to say ..The milk idea works !!!
Bloody fantastic . Pen mark has disappeared smile (real leather sofa (brown ) )

Snapey66 Wed 18-May-16 19:00:56

It actually worked !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now