Withdrawing your child from school (Scotland)

(103 Posts)

A thread for bumping up, to keep general information easily available.

The law in Scotland on Home Education is different from that in England. For full details, I'd recommend reading through the Schoolhouse site, but the basics are as follows:

If your child is attending a state school in the area, you must seek the consent of the education authority to withdraw them from school in order to home educate. To do this, you need to write to the Director of Education for your area, asking them to remove the child's name from the school roll. You will also have to provide outline proposals on your planned educational provision - you can either include this with your letter, or wait for them to ask, but it is quicker to include it. The local authority then has to consider whether there is any existing evidence indicating that there is good reason for refusing consent, eg child protection concern, and also whether there is evidence of the intention to provide "efficient and suitable" education. If there are no problems, they can in theory grant consent straight away, but certainly in most cases they should give a decision within 6 weeks.

You do not have to seek consent if your child has never attended state school in the area, or the school has closed down, or they have finished primary school but not started secondary.

Whether or not you have to seek consent, you will still have to give details of your educational provision, if asked by the local authority.

julienoshoes Tue 25-Nov-08 14:14:20

bumping up in case happyfaceschildcare lives in Scotland

julienoshoes Tue 02-Dec-08 22:40:18

bumping up for jammydoodarh to read in case you are in Scotland

Glad I found this! Thanks everyone.

julienoshoes Mon 15-Dec-08 10:20:19

pleasure!

If we can help in any other way, please do ask.

Have you seen the 'books on home ed' and the 'websites about home ed' threads?

oh someones there! Just attempted to post a thread, still new to mn! I am filtering through the list, thanks!smile

julienoshoes Mon 15-Dec-08 13:40:36

My dd2 says I am always here!

Don't often post on other MN threads-but I am passionate that parents should know that home education is a legal, viable option equal in status with schools. If folks have reliable, accurate information they can make an informed choice about what is right for their family at that time.

Home Education saved the lives of two of my children, they now tell me. We have had a wonderful life together since we deregistered them from school-hence me shouting from the roof tops-and posting on MN! wink

Well done, really hope to get it together for my four! Can't thank you enough, had more help from you this morning than attmpting to trail the internet!grin

julienoshoes Thu 15-Jan-09 19:56:30

bumping this for you to reread mrsdisorganised

grin

julienoshoes Mon 19-Jan-09 17:02:50

bumping-important info for people new to home education.

julienoshoes Sun 01-Feb-09 10:12:42

bump

julienoshoes Sat 07-Feb-09 23:14:40

bump again for newbies to home ed read

julienoshoes Wed 18-Feb-09 10:30:28

Bump

julienoshoes Mon 02-Mar-09 22:34:43

bumping back up

julienoshoes Wed 18-Mar-09 20:29:52

bump

julienoshoes Mon 27-Apr-09 11:45:34

bump

julienoshoes Tue 26-May-09 16:34:02

bump

julienoshoes Thu 30-Jul-09 08:08:35

bumping up useful threads

julienoshoes Mon 03-Aug-09 10:09:29

bumping in case AramiteCane
is in Scotland

julienoshoes Sun 30-Aug-09 12:48:41

bump for newbies

julienoshoes Mon 31-Aug-09 19:18:08

bump for CheesedOfsted in case you are in Scotland

julienoshoes Wed 16-Sep-09 09:50:35

bump

julienoshoes Mon 09-Nov-09 06:18:16

bump

julienoshoes Thu 10-Dec-09 15:46:51

bumped in case autonomy lives in Scotland

julienoshoes Sat 26-Dec-09 17:49:53

bump for whispywhisp and other newbies to HE, in case you live in Scotland

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now