How to find other home educators

(132 Posts)
Julienoshoes Mon 25-Feb-08 18:29:23

We keep posting this information, so I thought I'd make a topic that we can bump up when it falls down the list (but not every half hour, please).

If you join Education Otherwise (£25pa), you will receive a national contact list, divided by county. On the web they have lists of:
- local groups
- Internet lists

Home Education UK has similar but not identical information:
- local groups
- Internet lists

EHEers here will provide advice but these threads often get hijacked. We recommend that you try to meet local EHEers. They know about meetings in your area and can give more specific advice on your LA. They will also help you to see that EHEers are normal people doing their best, for their kids, just like you. You'll also see that people are successfully EHEing kids right across the range from SEN to prodigy and with all sorts or issues.

fillthatnappylittlekiwi Mon 24-Mar-08 18:45:04

Thank you grin I will off and have a look.

fillthatnappylittlekiwi Mon 24-Mar-08 18:48:18

Have applied to join now so thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Julienoshoes Tue 25-Mar-08 22:42:36

bump again

Julienoshoes Sun 30-Mar-08 06:38:20

bump

Julienoshoes Fri 04-Apr-08 07:57:25

Bunping for avenanap

Julienoshoes Sat 19-Apr-08 11:52:29

bump

Could I just ask a quick question here!!??

Are LA's generally okay about HS, - or do they kick up a fuss!

Will it improve the chances of my DS to get into chosen primary if I put my first choice as 'local school', and second choice as 'home education'!??

Thanks!

Julienoshoes Sat 19-Apr-08 13:27:26

Some LAs are better than others but once you show them that you know the law, which makes HE a viable choice, that has equal status in law to schooling, they are usually fine.

I am afraid I have no idea of the answer to the second question. TBH I wouldn't have thought so.

Thanks for replying Julienoshoes <and sorry for the hijack>, - it isn't a bluff though.

If DS doesn't get into school of choice (which is very likely) then I'm planning to homeschool!!

Julienoshoes Sat 19-Apr-08 15:29:25

Cool! grin
Have you checked out the main HE websites?

Education Otherwise
and
HE-UK
These two websites have articles that are well worth a read.

and I think Home education in the UK is worth checking out-full of resources and info.

then there is
HE-Special-UK for resources and information for families with children who have special educational needs.
and
Muddle Puddle is a webpage especially for HE families with children under 8 years old.

Give us a shout if there is anything else you need to know.

samkearsey Sat 19-Apr-08 15:30:13

sorry to butt in on this thread but speaking from experience, we got our daughter into our only choice of schools, but she did not last even half a term! so what i am trying to say is just because you get them into the best school does not mean its the best school for your child and cannot guarantee happiness for you both!

sorry to butt in again

Samkearsey: It's not the best school. It's the closest school!

I don't want my child travelling for ages before and after school when imo this is essential non-structured, non-academic development time!!

And, - I want to spend as much quality time with him as possible. I don't drive, so a long commute would be hell for us both!!

Julienoshoes Sat 19-Apr-08 15:33:06

EEkk!
One of those links is wrong!
Try his one for Home Education in the UK

samkearsey Sat 19-Apr-08 19:38:04

i totally understand about the commuting side, i live in an isolated area so need to drive to get anywhere!

i found that since my dd was removed from school we have got to know each other more and our relationship is getting stronger.

i hope it all works for you, there is so much information on this website, and many others, this is were i found my strength to take the decision and knew it was right for us.

good luck, let us know how it goes

Julienoshoes Wed 30-Apr-08 19:22:49

bump

neasels Wed 30-Apr-08 20:40:33

Hi ya

Just decided to HE my son. He is due to start school in Sept 08. Any groups in West Kent area?

Any help really appreciated.
Dx

Julienoshoes Wed 30-Apr-08 23:32:41

Hi neasels
Welcome to the wonderful world of home ed.

If you click on the to links for local groups
in the first post on this thread, both have links to contacts in Kent.
If they are not in your exact area, it would be worth contacting them anyway as I am certain they will point you in the direction of groups local to you.

neasels Thu 01-May-08 20:23:00

Thanks ever so much! x

Julienoshoes Thu 01-May-08 20:27:19

My pleasure
Anything else we can help with?

bringmesunshine Fri 02-May-08 08:34:33

Good Morning!

My DS is sat beside me and is not going to be returning to his current school!

The sense of relief is enormous!

Not going to rush our decision as to the next step.

Not sure why I am posting but just wanted to say hello really! smile

Julienoshoes Fri 02-May-08 09:22:28

Hello bringmesunshine
smile

have you sent in a deregistration letter to the school, to prevent problems with accusations of truancy?

bringmesunshine Fri 02-May-08 09:35:52

Hello Julienoshoes

No we haven't sent that in yet. I am planning on taking it in on Tuesday. I have informed school that DS will not be in today as he is poorly which is actually true.

Will that be ok?

DS has had a lot of time off since he started school in September due to multiple illness. However when he is not there he quickly becomes healthy relatively quickly - so I am starting to think that illness and school are linked in DS' case. We have always kept school informed however as I was told recently they have tragets to achieve with regards to attendance hmm DS is not yet 5.

Feel a bit wobbly, emotional and guilty that I have subjected my DS to a regime at such a young age sad I am sure a whirl of emotions is quite normal smile

Julienoshoes Fri 02-May-08 11:17:00

Yes That's fine
Remember when you take it in on Tuesday, to get a receipt for it.

Have you found the wonderful Muddle Puddle website for families who home educate young children? They have have a Early Years support list and a connection to many blogs that tell of home educating lives on their Muddle Puddle Blogring

It would also be worth finding home educators local to you and going along for a chat and some company and to find out what they get up to. They will help with your whirling emotions, I'm sure.
There is a thread here about finding other home educators.

bringmesunshine Fri 02-May-08 12:52:15

Thank you Julienoshoes,

I shall keep you posted as to how we progress smile

julienoshoes Thu 08-May-08 10:32:29

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now