How to de-register a child from school (England and Wales)

(142 Posts)
Julienoshoes Mon 25-Feb-08 18:19:42

A thread for bumping up, for information, so we don't have to keep repeating ourselves.

You'll find a sample de-registration letter (England and Wales) and other information about the realities and legalities of home education on the Education Otherwise and Home Education UKwebsites.

It is recommended that you get a receipt for the letter.

You are not obliged to have any further contact with the school once they have received this letter.
You are not obliged to contact the LA yourself at all, that is the school's responsibility.

Note that if you were already being pursued for truancy, that offence still stands but your child cannot be a truant if they are not a registered pupil. If you are providing an education under s7 of the Education Act 1996 by the time it gets to court, you may be fined for the earlier truancy but it seems unlikely a court would order a parent to prison.

For information about home education in Scotland contact Schoolhouse

Saracen Fri 15-Apr-16 13:15:38

Bump for RyanLondon

ommmward Mon 11-Jan-16 17:12:51

Well, if you are in England/Wales, you can just follow the instructions in this thread and send the right sort of letter in, instead of her, and then you are in charge of her education from that point onwards.

Best to start your own discussion within the Home Ed topic (you're in the right topic, but this thread is so general that you probably won't get much advice on it - people won't bother to click on it. So start a new discussion with a title that shows what kind of advice you are looking for, and we'll all be straight along to help!)

Saffy84 Sun 10-Jan-16 23:51:58

Hello my daughter has been badly bullied and its got to the point where its started to get nasty with other parents I had a really nasty letter from the head teacher over allegations that are to do with a member of staff and face book Its that bad my daughter cant go to school without parents or staff speaking about her and i really want to pull her out but dont want school to cause me trouble im at my witts end and my daughter is currently signed out by her doctor who has signed her off till next week with anxiety due to bullying, The school also failed to inform me she wasn`t eating when she was saying she was packed lunch when she was meant to be school dinners and has lost weight ect any other mums in my shoes id gladly appreciate your help!

Saracen Tue 01-Dec-15 00:09:44

Hi Kerry, yes you can do this. It will not affect your son's eligibility for a place in the new school. Just make sure everyone understands the plan, so the council won't assume you have changed your mind about wanting the school place. They shouldn't make that assumption, but they might. When you send the dereg letter to the school, you could copy it to the LA and enclose a covering note saying that you only intend to HE temporarily and you do want the place at the new school.

There is no minimum time for home educating. There is also no set curriculum and no fixed number of hours for education.

As it is only for a few weeks, you could just use this time for whatever you feel your son needs right now. If he has had a rough time at his current school then he might benefit from a break from anything that looks like school. If you'd rather do some formal work, you could just get a couple of workbooks and do a bit of maths and reading every day, or a project on a topic of his choice, or visit some museums. There are lots of options and no "wrong" way to do it.

Kerrymatch Mon 30-Nov-15 22:15:12

I'm wanting to take me son out of school and home school until I can have him transferred to another school . I've filled in forms for transfer but now have to wait and have been told by council can take at least 15 school working days and I will be prosecuted if have him out of school for more than 10 school working days .
Can I deregister him just from his current school while I await transfer?
I would home school while waiting ?

ommmward Mon 07-Sep-15 19:21:38

Phaedra11 Wed 08-Apr-15 20:21:54

Phaedra11 Thu 15-Jan-15 18:56:33

Thank you. Very helpful.

Saracen Tue 06-Jan-15 22:56:05

Yes, you can choose the date, and it can be whenever you want. In the deregistration letter, it would be a good idea to tell the school when your child's last day at school will be. Or if your child isn't coming back, say "with immediate effect".

maxybrown Tue 06-Jan-15 20:30:45

when you send your de registration letter do you give a date of when they will leave school? Can it essentially be when you say? Thank you smile

Snowfire Tue 25-Nov-14 18:23:02

bobbysgirlfirst Thu 25-Sep-14 21:51:31

Saracen Fri 18-Apr-14 03:33:55

IncognitoErgoSum Fri 11-Apr-14 08:23:44

julienoshoes Wed 26-Feb-14 15:18:41

julienoshoes Sat 07-Dec-13 20:45:05

bump for newbies

julienoshoes Mon 28-Oct-13 17:57:54

julienoshoes Mon 12-Aug-13 09:36:49

julienoshoes Sat 20-Jul-13 18:31:11

julienoshoes Tue 04-Jun-13 10:56:08

MollyNollyNoo Mon 01-Apr-13 09:46:34

No warning notice needed, I did book an appointment to chat with the headteacher and handed the letter to her, as per this link here it I asked her to give me a receipt for the letter. Then I went home, DD was taken off the register that day. The 2 websites in the OP have loads of information plus a very good standard letter which I used.

twinklesparkles Sun 31-Mar-13 23:48:07

Is there any notice warning you have to give the school?

Can you just show up one day, hand in deregsiter letter then take dcs out straight away? Or do you have to notify them of such and such a date they would be finishing school?

MaddestMother Sun 31-Mar-13 11:56:48

Thank you for this, I'm looking at withdrawing dd from school after the holiday and this, along with other interesting threads on here, has helped me realise I am finally doing the right thing for her.
She has had an awful year 7 so far in school & has become really anxious and showing signs of depression. Just the thought that I don't have to even talk about going back after Easter makes me feel like a huge weight has been lifted smile

SDeuchars Thu 21-Mar-13 23:23:13

SDeuchars Wed 13-Mar-13 22:34:10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now