Interhigh-Pros and Cons

(14 Posts)
mumof4darlings Sun 13-Jan-13 08:46:36

my daughter attends interhigh. She loves it there. She is in year 10 now studying for her igcses. She is a girl that likes to be taught, she likes to know she is learning something, unschooling didnt work for her, whereas my son tried another internet school years ago and he couldnt cope with the structure and opted for unschooling :-)
They offer geography, history, french, spanish, double science, english lit and english language as IGCSES. There are also free afterschool clubs which include science club, creative writing, chess club.
At christmas they put on a play at the end of term and once a year there is a meet up in brecon for a weekend.
You also have the option of briteschool they offer primary, My daughter did primary with them.

firefly11 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:04:42

Thanks for all your comments. I will consider Interhigh for when my DDs are older smile

Alonglongway Wed 09-Jan-13 21:49:34

DD1 (yr10) has done one term at Interhigh and I think we're going to stick with it through to IGCSEs. Agree with the comments above about the good quality of education. She was at school before and is loving the notion of education without a lot of the hassle that goes with school. The only real downside is that she's starting to feel isolated - I always saw this as the biggest risk but was willing to let her find out for herself. So we're making a real effort to get some exciting activities together, and she's up for that now.

DS did English, Maths, French, Geography, History, and Double Science. There wasn't any choice then, I'm not sure whether or not it is still the same or not.

For science there were obviously no practicals, just demos etc, and they had to do an extra exam paper for each science to cover the equivalent that they would do in a practical exam normally.

For DS the advantage was covering the academic subjects in the morning, giving him lots of time for music in the afternoons. But it's really about weighing up your available options, like everything! They do try to provide some social stuff, but it's not the same as actually being with a group of people every day - but for some children, in some settings, that can be an improvement...

chocaholic73 Wed 09-Jan-13 19:35:07

You would have to ask about a month's trial, I don't know. It is "live" so different to Mathletics etc as there is interaction between teacher and student and the students in the class. They also have very successful extra curricular activities - end of term play, concert etc and speakers and activities in the "Common Room". I don't think at GCSE level it would be more difficult than a FE college (although I can't say for definite as DD was there in Year 7) as there is not much actual practical, it is all demonstration I think which can be done via You Tube etc (unlike when I was at school and got my hair singed by a bunsen burner!)

firefly11 Wed 09-Jan-13 17:26:47

sorry meant to say "I would be deciding between secondary school, Interhigh or the local college".

firefly11 Wed 09-Jan-13 17:26:17

Thanks AMumInScotland. Without knowing what subjects your DS did in Interhigh, I am wondering if doing Science subjects like Biology or Chemistry would be more difficult on Interhigh compared to say, a local FE college? I know currently as the law stands, FE colleges can only take on 14-16 year olds on vocational courses only and academic subjects would depend on the college. My DDs are not yet 14 yet, in fact a few more years to go, so I'm just asking out of interest. I suppose depending on the situation I would be deciding between college, Interhigh or the local college.

DS was at Interhigh for Yr 10 and 11, a few years ago now. It worked very well for him, and he got a similar set of IGCSE results to what I would have expected.

It is definitely "school" just delivered via conference call etc - the technology may have changed a bit since DSs time, then it was just voice call, IM and whiteboard. But you are tied in to a teacher + class methodology, a set of subjects, a daily/weekly/termly timetable. For us, that worked fine - DS was only out of bricks&mortar school because of practicalities, otherwise the school way of doing things suited him fine.

We found them helpful and profesional to deal with, before and after signing up - that was a major factor in our deciding that they would suit us.

firefly11 Wed 09-Jan-13 11:43:21

Ah okay... thanks choca. Do they give a one month trial sort of thing then? I mean, I wouldn't know if learning in a virtual school would be something my 10 yr old would take to. I have bought her Mathletics, Education City and Babbel.com packages before, all because she said she liked them at first after I introduced them to her. She'd ask me to purchase them because she wanted to continue, but a few weeks on, grew tired of them and didn't touch them anymore. I thought Interhigh would be different from those things because I have the impression it is done via something like video conferencing during lessons? Correct me if I'm wrong. So I'm not sure at all if it's worth spending on it for my daughter but I would take a one month trial and just pay for the month if there was such a thing. Otherwise I don't know if I would be happy spending on it.

chocaholic73 Tue 08-Jan-13 20:16:04

It is normal practice with private schools to give a term's notice and Inter High consider themselves to be a virtual private school. We used them for DD a couple of years back and were very impressed. Brilliant pastoral care and teachers very willing to put themselves out to help. It's a question of whether this type of learning suits your child or not but, so far as Inter High themselves are concerned, we found them to be very good.

firefly11 Tue 08-Jan-13 15:19:03

Yeah you are probably right, Itchy. It's probably a term rather than month! LOL.. I had a 4 hr long chat with her a few days ago and talked about loads of other stuff so I remembered month instead of term! But yeah my friend says she's stuck having to pay one more of the £700 odd fees before she can stop paying it. So do you need a month or a term's notice then? Just curious. I don't think my kids are up for this yet but I'm not altogether ruling it out in the future.

ItchyTeeth Tue 08-Jan-13 15:12:53

Hi, I am using Interhigh atm for my son who is 11. He has just completed half a term. The cost is £740 per term (not month) and I think it is quite reasonable. My ds saw the website and was keen - he seems to really enjoy it and is doing well. He only has lessons in the morning and therefore we can do whatever from noon onwards to do anything that we want, art, music practice, whatever. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The virtual classroom seems to be a pleasant and calm environment and my son has found it very relaxing after his experience of secondary school.

firefly11 Tue 08-Jan-13 00:36:30

Friend of mine had enrolled her son on it last Sept. He was enjoying it at first but gradually grew bored of it. She told me it was a similar story with some other boys she knew who had used Interhigh. She said the girls however liked it a lot. Anyway her son has decided to quit around Christmas last year so she will be paying for one more term (one term's notice is required if a child wants to pull out during the year) even though he is not using it anymore.
Its not cheap at over £700 per month in fees. Maybe you can try negotiate with Interhigh some sort of a trial month/period without the one month notice thing? She did mention that they are very friendly and helpful before they take your money ! So maybe try to do all your negotiations with them before signing up for anything.

lamoseley Mon 07-Jan-13 16:32:19

Hi all...

Has anyone had personal experience with Interhigh??

Love to hear your opinions please...good and not so good! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now