Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Can anyone recommend a cheap-ish but reasonably robust and stylish sofa bed?

(19 Posts)
Jaynebxl Sat 16-Mar-13 23:12:56

We have an ektorp sofa bed as one of our two main sofas in our lounge. It is great as a sofa and as a bed.

Kneedeepinshittynappies Fri 15-Mar-13 20:10:31

Try nabru! Very reasonably priced and you can create your own.

Thanks Wibbly and Tugamommy smile

Wibblytummy Fri 15-Mar-13 10:31:18

I can definitely say the Ikea Ektorp range. We got one for our spare room/office back in 2007, it was super comfy and better as a bed than the extremely expensive one the IL's had made to measure for their house. It was passed to my SIL two years ago when our DS took over the spare room. It is now a main living sofa in her house with two very boisterous boys and still has plump and comfy cushions! The covers come off completely as well which is not too common for sofa beds, they wash up beautifully or you can change the look if you fancy a change later on. Would definitely recommend! (Although beware with delivery, they sent a very lovely but slightly useless older woman to deliver our sofa on her own, up 4 flights of stairs to a flat.. hmm thank heavens DH was just leaving for work so he could help or it would've sat in the car park all day..)

tugamommy Portugal Mon 11-Mar-13 09:19:41

Have a look at made.com. they're very stylish and reasonably priced.

happyjustobeme Sat 09-Mar-13 21:57:30

We've had a relyon for years. Almost double bed width when in sofa bed (about two cm narrower than a double width bed) and a proper 10 cm deep sprung mattress. I would v much recommend.

Lots more options, thanks all. smile

ikea sofabed
I have this one. I love it. Really comfortable, looks good, easy to use and reasonably priced grin

MustafaCake Sat 09-Mar-13 19:19:22

We saw this in John Lewis today and it's really lovely and v v well priced.

We are going to put it in DH's office for when friends stay. It is quite modern/stylish but if you put some bright kiddy cushions on it it would be fine for a playroom.

www.johnlewis.com/house-by-john-lewis-smart-large-sofa-beds/p308428?colour=Slate

ToTeachOrNotToTeach Sat 09-Mar-13 19:08:23

Ikea ektorp sofabeds are really good. We've got the corner sofa from that range and it has a mattress topper, proper metal fold out mechanism and we've slept on it fine. Have other adults on it fine.

fossil971 Sat 09-Mar-13 19:06:21

The Ikea Lycksele is very comfortable as a bed (have slept in it myself). Way better than any other sofa bed I've tried, it has actual sprung slats under the mattress. It has an OK choice of colours, a bit funny looking as a sofa but you could put a blanket over it I guess.

VerityClinch Sat 09-Mar-13 19:04:05

We have sofa bed from Sofa Sofa which has stood the test of time and many occasional guests without going saggy. Ours is the Newport one.

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Sat 09-Mar-13 18:54:39

The futon mattresses are much more robust than they used to be so look better. Also you get bolsters etc to match for the arms. They have styles that are much less futon-y looking than others.

moondog Sat 09-Mar-13 14:32:49

I have a solid oak futon style one but got a local seamstress to make me foam pilllows for it in my own choice of fabric (blankets actually).
It looks great and is about 15 years old.
I don't like the futon mattresses on it-they look cheap and saggy and a bit 80s.

Thanks Yellow smile

I think we have one of those locally too. Daft question but are they all futon-style sofas or do they do more traditional ones too? Will definitely take a look either way.

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Sat 09-Mar-13 14:13:50

I like futon company, not that cheap but make brilliant beds.

Ahem? Should have put this in Chat smile

Anyone? smile

It's for a new playroom which adults will use too, so want it to look OK but needs to take wear and tear.

Looked at Ikea natch but only online as have no chance of getting DH to an Ikea now that the horsemeatballs are no longer a draw. I'd be willing to buy online if everyone tells me that a particular model is OK in the flesh.

Anywhere else? John Lewis is my default store but not sure I want to pay their prices on this occasion.

TIA. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now