Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Preteens girl's rooms?

(15 Posts)
thebestpossibletaste Thu 21-Mar-13 23:28:41

I should add that dh too busy to help and I'm no good at DIY so I really am limited in what I can do!

thebestpossibletaste Thu 21-Mar-13 22:06:28

I love the sound of your daughter's room!

Unfortunately I'm having to do it on a low budget, ideally not buying new furniture, so am hoping to paint the walls and change bedclothes, pictures on walls etc but can't do much more.

Looking at white and gold walls, maybe stencilled. She has a white bed, will look for a gold throw and cushions, new curtains and blind. Hoping I can spray her purple picture frames gold. I'm also looking for a huge corkboard sort of thing.

She hates her old dirty cream carpet so I'm looking for a nice big cheap rug to go over it as can't recarpet.

My dd is 9 and has declared she doesn't want pink. She's chosen duckegg blue wallpaper from Laura Ashley with birds on and then she wants French cream antique furniture. what she has chosen is quite grown up, in fact I prefer her room to mine. I set up a pinterest page for her to save images she liked.

thebestpossibletaste Thu 14-Mar-13 20:25:01

Thanks. I love iron beds but can't afford to replace her bed at the moment.

She fancies a white and gold colour theme at the moment so need to paint first. It's her birthday in three weeks and I'd love to get it done for then but don't have a lot of money to spend so I'm looking on eBay at the moment.

lolalotta Thu 14-Mar-13 18:59:40

Iron beds look lovely if you are after a vintage vibe! PLUS if you buy some second hand furniture, you could give it a shabby chic look by painting it! Annie Sloan paint is fab, no prep needed, just slap it on and then finish with a coat of wax. Good luck!

thebestpossibletaste Sat 09-Mar-13 09:13:15

The chest of drawers sounds great, I'm sure my dd would like something like that. Going to start buying some Home magazines and she can cut out stuff she likes. She still loves making collages so will enjoy that. She also needs a huge pinboard to pin up her creations.

thebestpossibletaste Fri 08-Mar-13 23:25:32

Good idea.

BanjoPlayingTiger Fri 08-Mar-13 22:42:30

Or do that the modern way and get her to do a Pinterest board grin

BanjoPlayingTiger Fri 08-Mar-13 22:42:04

We found it didn't cost too much - dd needed a new bed anyhow and the chest of drawers only cost £30 from the heart foundation. So making it look more vintage-y didn't cost much more than decorating it any other way really.
You could perhaps start a scrapbook and buy some home magazines and get her to put stuff in the scrapbook that she likes - at least then she might get her own ideas of what she likes?

thebestpossibletaste Fri 08-Mar-13 18:30:22

I'll have to start putting some money away for a shopping trip I think!

BanjoPlayingTiger Fri 08-Mar-13 12:06:09

We got her a new bed, we took her to various places and she picked one. Then we got a chest of drawers that had a big mirror attached from a charity shop, we have a rocking horse so that went in there too.
She put her music certificates on the wall, and a couple of cross stitched pictures too. She's never been one for posters.

Essentially, we have her a budget for each item and went with her to look at things and she picked them. It seems to have come together but there was no overarching plan to begin with.

thebestpossibletaste Thu 07-Mar-13 10:36:44

My dd has been watching Kirstie's Vintage programme that we recorded around christmas time and thinks she'd like vintage ... unfortunately I don't have a clue and am also rubbish at art and craft stuff, useless at carboot sales ...

Apart from the walls, what sort of stuff did your dd want in her room, i.e. mirror, pics, posters, etc.?

BanjoPlayingTiger Thu 07-Mar-13 00:20:55

My dd was about 11 when she asked to redecorate from the purple. She went very victoriana with her choices. Imagine a room at a living history museum and that is what she wanted. We managed to calm it down a bit by painting 3 walls cream and one wall had the wallpaper she loved.

My dd can be fairly untypical of kids her age though so don't take that as definitive.

thebestpossibletaste Thu 07-Mar-13 00:15:51

Anybody? smile

thebestpossibletaste Tue 05-Mar-13 11:19:27

My daughter has fallen out of love with her room sad

She's eleven and a couple of years ago we painted the walls lilac, with a small chandelier, white bookcase, white bed, lilacy rag rug, pink small desk, a pine chest of drawers with fish tank on top, pink beanbag. On the walls she has purple framed prints of cats and some photos and a pinboard. Her bedding is lilac with hearts.

I need to go through her books as they are overflowing onto the floor, she has so many and won't part with them!

She doesn't know what she wants, just thinks it isn't cool anymore. I want her to feel happy in there and to feel she can sit in there with her friends, talking etc.

She has two storage boxes under the bed full of magazines and Lego, although she rarely plays with the Lego now.

Anyone fancy putting up photos of their girls' rooms or linking me to their pinterest page so I can get some ideas? Can't spend lots but would consider a quick outing to Argos or Ikea or similar? Or Ebay?

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now