What historical things happened where you live?

(37 Posts)
TunipTheVegedude Fri 18-Jan-13 16:19:29

It gives me a huge kick that I can look out of my window and see a line of trees where the main road is that Henry VIII travelled along on the way back to London from his Progress of the North with Katharine Howard.

Actually given that it's a main road there have probably been all sorts of significant people travelling along it, but that's my favourite.

What things happened, or famous historical people have been, near where you live?

Pleiades45 Sun 27-Jan-13 21:20:00

I grew up in a village a few miles from Stamford Bridge, where Harold did battle with the Norwegians. He then marched his troops along the main road passing the village to go do battle with William.

AphraBehn Thu 31-Jan-13 09:27:51

Anne Boleyn's family owned land and property near where I live. Don't think she ever came here though.
It's mentioned a lot in The Other Boleyn Girl!

KatherineKrupnik Sun 03-Feb-13 20:48:46

I live near the Bridgewater Canal & lots of industrial revolution stuff which I think is bloody fascinating. Love days out at Styal Mill.

oldsilver Sun 03-Feb-13 20:56:48

The church that Queen Elizabeth I described as "the fairest, goodliest, and most famous parish church in England" is just down the road from us. Um, we were part of the slave triangle, Isambard Kingdom Brunel had a lot to do here and we can see his bridge from our house ... Civil War was quite a thang round these parts too and we are quite well known for our rioting.

poozlepants Sun 03-Feb-13 21:14:44

A woman who lived in the old house that stood on this site was tried and hung as a witch in the 1640's.

Umlauf Sun 03-Feb-13 21:50:28

There is a big mansion up the road where lots of ETA prisoners were tortured to death in the early 80s:-(

General Franco's summer residence is just up the road.

Very recent history, and not British, but still!

TeamEdward Sun 03-Feb-13 21:52:56

The Norman Conquest.

Do I win? grin

poorbuthappy Sun 03-Feb-13 21:53:10

Lots and llots of Romans.
Oh and a very famous golf tournament a few years ago.

SoniaGluck Sun 03-Feb-13 22:24:12

Bunbaker Was that the Huskar Colliery disaster?

That's quite local to me, too.

LiviaAugusta Mon 04-Feb-13 15:55:15

We live in a tiny little village but it's got the most beautiful little Saxon church. We live quite close to a major Roman centre so quite a lot going on there. I still kick myself that until a few years ago I lived not to far from part of Hadrian's wall and I never got around to making a trip to see it.

Sunnymeg Sun 14-Apr-13 17:36:31

The last British battle on English soil took place about 10 miles away. We are in the middle of Monmouth rebellion country.

ZebraOwl Fri 19-Apr-13 23:21:48

I live in Inner London so there is Famous History at every turn. I am a very spoilt Zebra in that respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now