Do you know something that history doesn't?

(14 Posts)
confuddledDOTcom Tue 25-Sep-12 00:13:14

I posted this in talk because I didn't know this board existed shock so thought I'd post it here too.

I thought this could be interesting, unless I'm the only one!

My granddad is descended from a very important French noble couple, his ancestor took on their title as a surname (like William Wales, Andrew York etc) this woman was the only one to ever hold this title. But history records them as childless. What we know is that they had a little boy who was secretly sent to the UK to protect him from the issues of the time.

Sadly it's my Mum's dad so I don't have a cool name my own family name is a rather boring typical British name, although my married name will be a German noble name (not so secret though) so can't complain too much

So, does anyone else have a cool "history doesn't know this" story?

nickeldaisical Tue 25-Sep-12 13:05:30

that's brilliant grin

MrsjREwing Tue 25-Sep-12 14:31:57

I wonder if you can get history corrected to reality.

confuddledDOTcom Tue 25-Sep-12 14:51:53

Wouldn't it be cool? I'd love to see historians faces if I told them she wasn't childless! I can understand why she kept people thinking she was childless as there were a lot of executions at the time, including her own, a close friend (after her death) and all her children. I think I'd like to protect my child too!

MrsjREwing Tue 25-Sep-12 17:12:20

If you can track down paper you can present it to a few and change wiki.

confuddledDOTcom Tue 25-Sep-12 20:26:24

It's about 300 years later though so I don't know what would still exist or where. Would she have even allowed there to be something that could out her son?

mathanxiety Wed 26-Sep-12 02:02:23

If there are any descendants of this woman's close relatives (sisters, brothers) do you think you might be able to do some sort of DNA search?

kiwigirl42 Wed 26-Sep-12 09:33:07

thats really interesting. Who were they?

confuddledDOTcom Wed 26-Sep-12 21:57:15

I don't want to say directly because as I said my grandad's family have a name that is still their title and there's only about 20 of them in the country so it would be a real out. There should be enough clues in my posts though.

My OP should have said "this couple" were the only ones to hold the title. It was created for them and as he supposedly died without issue it wasn't passed on (as a title) and then events at that era would have stopped it from being created again.

confuddledDOTcom Wed 26-Sep-12 21:57:49

*still have a name that is their title

BurlingtonBertieFromBow Wed 26-Sep-12 22:00:37

confuddled - interesting - I think my mother's family might have the same name! Does it begin with B, with 3 syllables?

confuddledDOTcom Wed 26-Sep-12 22:15:11

It's not - that would have been cool! It's L and has two, slightly different (Anglicised) spelling to the title.

BurlingtonBertieFromBow Wed 26-Sep-12 22:22:48

Ah damn. There are very few of 'us' too

MrsjREwing Wed 26-Sep-12 23:00:59

If you have the name go back through church records to get documents for historians.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now