If you could live in any time in history...

(59 Posts)

which one would it be and why?

What would you want to see and experience, and was there a particular event that you wished you were part of?

MamaMary Tue 25-Sep-12 20:53:22

Mid-Victorian era. I would love to go back to 1850s. I have studied the period at length and I wonder if I would actually feel quite at home! I also think I'd be surprised at how familiar everything was.

Second choice: a century earlier. Georgian times. I think it would be quite different to Victorian.

stubbornstains Tue 25-Sep-12 20:42:30

Celtic times (pre-Roman invasions, when it all went horribly wrong). Small farming communities, women playing a strong role in society-as far as we can gauge- and I'd like to know what the Druids reallygot up to.

ProphetOfDoom Tue 25-Sep-12 20:27:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TunipTheVegemal Tue 25-Sep-12 20:16:00

Good thinking Margery. Go back to an era when there are antibiotics.

margerykemp Tue 25-Sep-12 18:45:35

the 1970s- I love flares and men with hair

LiviaAugusta Tue 25-Sep-12 17:13:58

I'd only like to go as a visitor but I'd love to go back to Rome at the time of the five good emperors to see whether it was as brilliant as Gibbon said. Not Marcus Aurelius though, don't fancy catching the plague! I'd also like to sample life as a Regency lady too, trips to 'town' and Bath, or balls at my country house. Possibly read too much Jane Austen...

Don't think I'd last five minutes any time Victorian or earlier TBH, the smells, heads on spikes, casual violence and poo-filled streets of many historical periods would mark me out as an outsider in no time blush

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 25-Sep-12 17:04:24

Now!!!
And the time I would defintiely notlike to be living is the 14th century.
Just reading 'Hawkwood' by Frances Stonor Saunders - unputdownable - as good as the other masterpiece of that period, Barbara Tuchman's 'The DArk Mirror'

1900-1930. I know its not very long ago, but how I 'd have loved to have been a Suffragette and then to kick up my heels during the roaring twenties.

Empusa Wed 19-Sep-12 00:46:16

Now, but I'd like to be able to nip back to the 40s and 50s to steal clothes and go to dances, and to the 70s and 80s to go to some gigs.

LettyAshton Tue 18-Sep-12 14:11:58

If I had been rich - Edwardian. No contest. I'd live in a JS Goodall picture book.

Poor - I'd live in a mediaeval village. All family around, rhythm of the days and seasons - and I'd choose from a number of decades when the menfolk weren't forced to straggle up and down the country fighting.

MrsjREwing Tue 18-Sep-12 14:05:04

Oh, I also agree she was put to death unjustly.

MrsjREwing Tue 18-Sep-12 14:03:24

AB did harm people. I agree her family used her, she had great teachers.

monsterchild Tue 18-Sep-12 14:03:18

Ooh, there's so many. Probably with Ghengis Khan and his Mongol empire. Religious tolerance, women had some say in things, meritocracy, and learning!

Or pre-Columbian Americans.

lljkk and Nan have you seen the jungles there and the roads the Inca/Mayans made? there's no where for a wheel to go. Also, llama aren't all that strong to pull a cart. It just wasn't practical to have wheeled vehicles without oxen, horses or elephants to build/clear a path for wheeled vehicles to travel on. It was a lot easier to carry the stuff. And it obviously didn't slow them down any...

TunipTheVegemal Tue 18-Sep-12 13:58:13

No way do I want to live in any time in history other than our own thanks. It will be full of lunatics who go around believing in witchcraft and the divine right of kings, and people dying of minor injuries that get infected.

NanBullen Tue 18-Sep-12 13:52:08

No MrsjREwing Anne Boleyn was a pawn in her families social climbing games. She wasn't snow white but she didn't deserve to be killed on charges that were obviously false. She didn't harm anyone; her tyrant, psychopath of a husband on the other hand....

MrsjREwing Tue 18-Sep-12 13:38:55

There is a thread somewhere, the Golding family were posting on, Cognito.

nickelcognito Tue 18-Sep-12 13:28:18

i loved the way they did that show on The Family through time recently - tiny bites of history, but them actually being there.
less severe than the 1900/1940s House that C4 did, but more interesting in that it encompassed more time periods.

tethersend Tue 18-Sep-12 13:25:27

The late 60s/early 70s.

The clothes.

The music.

The hair.

And then perhaps a trip to wartime London.

elfycat Tue 18-Sep-12 13:22:30

Smallpox... wink

MrsjREwing Tue 18-Sep-12 13:19:49

AB why on earth her? She was a fake who appeared religious, who was mistress who harmed so many.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Tue 18-Sep-12 13:13:09

Assuming I could take things like antibiotics, painkillers, deodorant and really good conditioner with me, I'd go back to the 1940s and become a land girl. I'd be great, I'd know how it all ended so could keep morale up.

ticklemyboobsofsteel Tue 18-Sep-12 13:01:26

Fairly predictable, given my other posts on history, but it would be the Tudor times for me. Kind of torn as to whether I'd prefer to be someone 'important' at court (but far away enough from matters to avoid losing my head over something) or a servant/maid to someone really important (to see all the comings and goings, but not be dragged down with them..!)

Leaning towards the former. Who wouldn't want to wear those gowns?! I'd love to meet all of Henry's six wives. Mostly AB though.

NanBullen Tue 18-Sep-12 12:42:13

I'm reading Alex Scarrow's Time Rider books at the mo (as recommended on MN grin ) and they are fab. It's so interesting when the characters go back to say medieval times and have to try and fit in or even the Triassic (sp?) period and try not to influence history too much. Fascinating.

Also, connie Willis' books about time travel back to WW2 and the victorian era. They really make you think how you would react in theses situations.

nickelcognito Tue 18-Sep-12 12:40:40

yes, bits of the Roman world would be great.

I'd like to wear Elizabethan costume.

i'd love to live back in Nottingham in Robin Hood's time for a little while - maybe a week or so. just so I can see what it was like to live in a time of the Crusades.

NanBullen Tue 18-Sep-12 12:38:31

Yeah, smells would put me off too. Even in the 50s and sixties, hygiene wasn't the best was it, and there was no aerosol deodorant was there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now