If you could live in any time in history...

(59 Posts)

which one would it be and why?

What would you want to see and experience, and was there a particular event that you wished you were part of?

Empusa Wed 19-Sep-12 00:46:16

Now, but I'd like to be able to nip back to the 40s and 50s to steal clothes and go to dances, and to the 70s and 80s to go to some gigs.

1900-1930. I know its not very long ago, but how I 'd have loved to have been a Suffragette and then to kick up my heels during the roaring twenties.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 25-Sep-12 17:04:24

Now!!!
And the time I would defintiely notlike to be living is the 14th century.
Just reading 'Hawkwood' by Frances Stonor Saunders - unputdownable - as good as the other masterpiece of that period, Barbara Tuchman's 'The DArk Mirror'

LiviaAugusta Tue 25-Sep-12 17:13:58

I'd only like to go as a visitor but I'd love to go back to Rome at the time of the five good emperors to see whether it was as brilliant as Gibbon said. Not Marcus Aurelius though, don't fancy catching the plague! I'd also like to sample life as a Regency lady too, trips to 'town' and Bath, or balls at my country house. Possibly read too much Jane Austen...

Don't think I'd last five minutes any time Victorian or earlier TBH, the smells, heads on spikes, casual violence and poo-filled streets of many historical periods would mark me out as an outsider in no time blush

margerykemp Tue 25-Sep-12 18:45:35

the 1970s- I love flares and men with hair

TunipTheVegemal Tue 25-Sep-12 20:16:00

Good thinking Margery. Go back to an era when there are antibiotics.

ProphetOfDoom Tue 25-Sep-12 20:27:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stubbornstains Tue 25-Sep-12 20:42:30

Celtic times (pre-Roman invasions, when it all went horribly wrong). Small farming communities, women playing a strong role in society-as far as we can gauge- and I'd like to know what the Druids reallygot up to.

MamaMary Tue 25-Sep-12 20:53:22

Mid-Victorian era. I would love to go back to 1850s. I have studied the period at length and I wonder if I would actually feel quite at home! I also think I'd be surprised at how familiar everything was.

Second choice: a century earlier. Georgian times. I think it would be quite different to Victorian.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now