Thinking of becoming a slimming world consultant.

(59 Posts)
Horsiemummy Thu 24-Jan-08 20:13:27

hi all,
just wondering if there were any slimming world consultants on here who would dish the whole truth!!. all i can seem to find on the net are consultants who are deleriously happy and chirp on about how much money they earn. TBH i went to a oppertunities evening and was a bit shocked by how much its costs you to get started and also by the percentage of your takings that goes back to slimming world. i kinda dismissed it but the idea just keeps going round in my head because i think i would be a good consultant - ive lost 2st on SW and am always raving about the plan to anyone who will listen.
just wondered if there was any downside to being a consultant, and tbh how long before you have made back your franchise fee and you start to make any money for yourself.

heres hoping someone can help

Cadburysmirnoff Sun 11-May-14 09:19:19

I'm considering SW as a career opportunity. I have been a member for a number of years and feel I have the confidence to support others. I'm not afraid of hard work and I have a full time job 37 hours per week. I'm attending an ops event soon and this thread has highlighted some questions for me.

1. Will I recoup my money ... Yes if I work hard.
2. Will people attend? Probably but I will need to consider social team etc if it's a new group.
3. Credit check ... No CCJ or bankruptcy so I should be ok
4. Will I be able to inspire people to lose weight? I hope so
5. Best buy some flat shoes for leafleting !

Babyboys03 Mon 28-Apr-14 16:37:55

Hi I'm currently looking to buy in to a sw franchise I've read loads of comments and found most of them very true full and helpful but only thing that's missing from the feeds is r u guys buying into 1 franchise or more has folks aren't explaining this so when they put there figures up I'm thinking oh dear! I'm looking I to buying a 2 double franchise has I'm going into this 110% !!!! has the fees are increasing very soon !!!! So I'm i guessing right theses figures is just a single franchise. ??? Can someone help please xxx

purplejo1010 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:10:36

Hi does anyone have a copy of the licence agreement? It would be interesting to have a read of it before I get bombarded with info and set up costs....you know, read it and make a more informed choice on expectations etc. Thank you x

Legg1234 Sat 08-Mar-14 21:20:25

Can anyone help? I'd like to start a sw franchise after attending an opportunity event. I know sw run a credit check even if you don't want finance to set up. Through no fault of my own I have a poor credit raiting. I know I will fail,the credit check. Does anyone know if there is a way around this and if you can still become a consultant. I am more than happy to do a criminal records check. Just because I have bad credit doesn't mean I can't be trusted with running a franchise! Would really appreciate any thoughts/ help. Thank you.

NicQ Mon 18-Nov-13 20:55:35

I'm 100% commited to SW and have lost over 5 stone since having my daughter 11 months ago.
I've read this whole thread and thx to every1 that's added there experiences it's a great insight to the world of SW!
I'm going to an ops event in a few weeks, I went to one a few years ago so know what to expect but was full time at the time so know I couldn't give it my all, I've now recently returned to work 4days per week after mat leave and feel it could be the right time to become a consultant to not only help members but hopefully in the future earn enough to maybe drop another day at work and spend more time with my lil'one, my day job is long hours which I miss my daughter terribly but it's my career so don't want to give it up but would love to drop another day at some point so I had more 'day time' hours with my daughter as could do the majority of SW when she's in bed (obviously not the leafleting)

joyhg Mon 28-Oct-13 16:28:52

Cor, that really is an interesting thread and explains why I have an ex-sw consultant working with me now in my business!
It doesn't sound terrible, just a little hyped up. All these things take hard work and time, which most people are happy with... if it pays well!!! Good luck to you all x

fluffy74 Tue 22-Oct-13 21:41:18

Hi, sorry to sound ignorant but I've not heard of the Cambridge diet, how does it work? X

sallyp79 Sat 19-Oct-13 19:28:02

hi, I looked into slimming world and a few other and in the end went with cambridge weight plan. it was a smaller outlay and you are allowed to run it much more as your own business. You dont run groups (although you can if you want) but more often see people one on one. Each consultation lasts about 15 mins and i make about £15 for each consultation. Your aren't tied to doing the same times each week as you just arrange meetings with your clients on a week by week basis on what suits you so its really flexible. I have a child so this fits perfectly. Feel free to ask any questions and i'm more than happy to answer (or give me a bell on 07843411144).

fluffy74 Wed 16-Oct-13 18:19:23

hi everyone, i know this thread is quite old but hope that there is someone on here that may give an insight. i too have been to an opportunities event and decided to 'go for it' despite the upfront fees. my interview appointment has, to say the least ,been a whirl wind of yes this day, no sorry that day and time, oh sorry again this time! i have been nothing but open and accomadating to every change but when i needed to cancel my interview due to problems beyond my control i have been blanked! i had said i was still interested but would had to put it off for a few months. i have also read that the amount of earnings isnt exactly what was 'promised' at the meeting either, most people are saying they earn only £25-£30 per meeting, not going to feed my family is it?! i am prepared to do all the promoting it takes and know that it will be hard work to build up a group, but is it worth such a large outlay for such a small return?

24slim Sun 01-Sep-13 01:32:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Emilysmom Mon 26-Aug-13 18:30:48

Hi I'm also thinking of becoming a Sw consultant, I'm still on maternity leave so am wondering can I do this whilst I'm on maternity, will my maternity money be stopped or altered? Thanks 😄

ldt2911 Thu 15-Aug-13 09:30:44

Hi
I have recently been to an opportunity event and have all the information to make an informed choice about becoming a SW consultant (or not!)
I am excited by the prospect of doing a role such as this but also a bit nervous, like anyone - thinking 'will I get people through the doors'? 'Will I make more money than I spend?' 'Will people take me seriously and see me as inspirational as I have not got to target yet- still 1.5 stone away?'
Thank you all for your frank discussion comments - it helps to know that I'm feeling similar to how others feel. I guess as many have said, you get out of things what you put in and it is a business so it's up to me to make it grow!
I am just coming to the end of my maternity leave and have resigned from my well paid full time job to care for my son and as I am passionate about food optimising I feel that's am the right person to help others - especially when my former role is in the nursing profession - it's in my nature!
I'm thinking of asking friends to assist with the leafleting (as well as my husband!) and will repay them with a SW dinner or meal and get together!
I am a positive person and although it gives me the jeebies when I think of not getting 25+ folk through the doors, but if I don't try then how will I know? What I do know is that it will be less stressful and demanding than my previous role and that can only be a good thing!
Anyone else got any experiences - good or not so? flowers

Fairygen Wed 24-Jul-13 13:12:48

Our group has been without a permenent leader for over a year. Although i've been to sw before, this time, I've only been at group for 3 weeks and only lost 7lbs ( minimum of 2 stone to go).

Do you have to be near/ at your goal weight to become a consultant? I know at WW you used to have to be within so many lbs either side.

It is certainly something I would be interested in in the future but don't feel I have enough experience of the actual diet yet.

WestDentonCC Tue 16-Jul-13 12:40:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

carlsmam Tue 02-Jul-13 03:32:24

Hi folks, my consultant mentioned to me a while ago that she thought I'd make a good consultant. When she told me she'd paid £600 for the franchise though, it put me off, as I don't have that kind of money to hand, and the thought of setting up a new group and the possibility of no one turning up kind of put me off!
Last night though, she told me she's giving up at the end of next month due to family commitments, and asked me to think about taking over. It's an established group, and I know most of the members, as I weigh for her at present, so seems like less of an initial risk.
Just looking for advice/tips really? Is it still £600/£1,000 initial fee, or has it gone up?
Cheers x

jojo5568 Mon 17-Jun-13 14:30:37

babyjane1 Sat 11-May-13 15:56:51

Hi guys, I'm currently on the plan and my friend is a consultant, I'm ready to get back to work now my wee one is 3 and really like the idea of joining slimming world as a consultant. Can anyone update me with how they got on following the last posts when a few of you were checking it out.

2jaysmum Mon 26-Nov-12 15:37:08

Hi Chrissie74, was wondering how you got on with the interviews and the credit check. I too am in similar position and would love to know if it was an issue.

Chrissie74 Tue 20-Nov-12 14:08:09

Hi, I'm really interested in becoming a consultant and I went to the opportunity event and went really well. Interviews are on Sunday however I'm a bit concerned as I've heard they credit check you, this may be a problem as we got into problems a couple of years ago when my husband was out if work due to an injury. Will they refuse you point blank if you fail the check? I will be totally gutted if this is the case. Thanks x

Ready4newcareer Sun 23-Sep-12 21:42:39

I too have just been for an open day and am considering being a consultant. One of my concerns is that two consultants I know have bad backs and I've helped with carting the bags into class(prior to having back problems myself) .Do you need to be physically fit to do this job? I was medically pensioned out of the Police Force(service now) and have not worked for 16 yrs,this seems a good way of broadening my horizons .

JanisDibDab Tue 10-Jul-12 10:20:33

Catching up with the message on here from a while ago - I'vee been a slimming world consultant for 18 years now and mostly love it! I work full-time, run 2 evening SW groups and also run a jewellery making business. I still have the same passion today for SW as i did when i started, and thats not to say there haven't been some tough times. Its the same as anything in life though - you get out what you put in ;-)

salsajan Fri 21-Oct-11 09:21:51

I've been a consultant for over 10 yrs now and invested when my youngest was just 2 months old. It was cheaper back in 2001 for the licence fees and there were fewer groups too. It is hard work and initially you are just recovering costs like any business you invest in. I think it took me 4 months to get back what I invested before making a profit.
It is hugely satisfying and rewarding but you do need to put alot of time and effort into it to promote and support members. I have 2 successful groups and work approx 15 hours a week. My average weekly earnings are approx £150-£200 per week. Much of the work feels social. You arent tied to an office (9-5) and apart from when you turn up at specified group times the hours are as flexible as you want them to be. I have been able to take my children to and from school for 10 years which has been a major positive for me.
There are also career opportunities to move up the ladder when your children get older if you want to.
The few negatives are that sometimes you have to attend unpaid meetings on Friday evenings or Sunday Mornings and you are inundated with Slimming World Post & Stock. It is a franchise and you have to comply with the Slimming World guildlines and as you are self employed you have to manage your accounts and keep on top of any tax you have to pay etc (like any business)
I have the pleasure of working alongside some fabulous people, consultants and members. All I can say is if you are passionate about the eating plan, have a warm, friendly personality and a desire to help other people feel happy about themselves and get healthy .. Its a company worth investing in but be prepared to push it 100% initially to reap the benefits.
I hope this helps x

u751904 Sat 06-Aug-11 16:43:20

cookiemonsta did you go for it?

cookiemonsta Sun 03-Jul-11 20:04:35

I have my interview tomorrow night with Slimming World. Thanks for all the posts, it's given me a huge number of questions to ask before I make my final decision. SW has been great for me I lost two and half stone in 4 months after having my 2 girls. I hope I can make it work, i want to be there for my children and earn some money as well as helping people like myself!

WellnessCoach26478 Thu 23-Jun-11 01:07:31

I looked into the slimming world consultant thing when my local group had helped me lose a lot of weight after I had 2 children within 11months. The weight off was great but I suffered for years with extremely bad excema, which I was told by consultants was caused from within my body not from contact. I then studied diet and nutrition and realised my eating habits had become too samey and was lacking vital nutrients, probably because it was easy to have what I was familiar with and new what worked. I came across Arriba and started a class for a change and now have become an Arriba leader, and with an amazing improvement in the condition of my skin, I'm much happier teaching what I teach in my Arriba challenge as it not only helped me understand the whole 'fat' thing better but also my excema seldom flares up after 7 years of suffering and the business structure seems much more rewarding. I'd recommended it to anyone considering teaching a weight loss group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now