School Holidays

(27 Posts)
Watto1 Fri 08-Mar-13 09:01:28

I realise that I am looking far into the future but I need advice please!

I'm planning to go back to work in September 14 when both DC will be at school (assuming I can get a job). DH and I have worked out how to manage on school days. My question is, how the hell do you cover 13 weeks of school holidays with only 5 weeks leave each? The DC will be too young for the local playscheme (the playscheme lets the kids come and go as they please so obviously not suitable for a 4 and a 6yo).

What does everybody do?

TIA

missprocrastinate Sun 17-Mar-13 17:17:20

We don't have luxury of relatives nearby who can help out. Me & other moms rely on each loads & help each other out. I've got 2 friends who don't work & they usually help me by having my kids (I return the favour as and when I can). There are quite often activity clubs/holiday schemes but these can be expensive if used regularly. My advice - pool together with friends & help each other out as much as poss.

Mutley77 Mon 18-Mar-13 03:41:35

It has never been a major problem for us (although I did only work 3 days per week so 2 days a week of the holidays were obviously already covered).

I used to take AL usually for half-terms, then we had a two week holiday together in the summer. Easter and Christmas were managed by a few day swaps with other parents, and bank holidays I didn't work anyway. For the other 4 weeks of summer holidays my parents would usually do a week, DH might do a week on his own, then that left 2 weeks for a holiday club or similar - there are so many options now including sports clubs, formal playschemes.

I did have a CM, who I used during termtime and she would cover some holiday time for me but I found I didn't really need her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now