How many of you have both parents working f/t?

(60 Posts)
YoSaffBridge Fri 21-Dec-12 23:01:32

Just saw a thread that made me think about this. I know I am in a rarity: DH and I both work f/t. Luckily DH works shifts so DD isn't in childcare any more than about 30 hours a week. Anymore than about 40 hours and I think I would prefer a nanny, which we can't afford. But at the moment, I am in a profession which is struggling through the recession so a f/t job is preferable to no job at all.

However I don't know anyone else who have both parents working f/t, or anyone else whose DH is probably doing more childcare. Now my friends are starting to go back to work, I'm beginning to get comments on us both working f/t.

I guess I'm just interested in a rough straw poll - how many people have both parents working f/t? I feel in a massive minority here.

LadyWidmerpool Sat 22-Dec-12 23:48:31

Both FT. Only way we could afford to start a family so we always planned it like this. It's not easy but what is? It works fine for us overall.

scottishmummy Sat 22-Dec-12 23:51:20

my parents worked ft when I was wee through school
I wouldnt have it any other way.I need stimulation and brain food of work
mn seems skewed to housewives and pt work,not so many ft two parents on mn

Flosshilde Sun 23-Dec-12 00:31:33

We both work f/t, albeit I do my hours across 4 days with evening and weekend working at home and a late finish every other week. We also both have a 30ish mile commute which takes around an hour.

DS is at nursery and I have also booked a place for DC2 as I have every intention of going back to the same working pattern after mat leave this time.

It has been fine, generally, but very difficult for me during this pregnancy as I have been constantly sick and exhausted. ILs help out in so far as they will cover if my DH wants to go out to his hobby at 7pm and I'm not in till 9pm, say.

My job is reasonably flexible and I have no problem leaving at 4.30 every day other than when I have an evening meeting. DH happily takes leave to cover me when I have to work on my usually non-working day, every couple of months or so. He has no limit on his leave, but he isn't paid for it.

It does seem to be unusual though and I do get some hmm looks when I have the temerity to say I work because I love it rather than being forced to by financial necessity.

drcrab Sun 23-Dec-12 08:26:11

We both work full time and until dh got made redundant he had a 2 hr commute each day so was out of the house 7.30am-7.30pm everyday. He's now set up by himself so works for himself which is probably more hours (nights etc) but its made it much easier in terms of work life balance (eg he does drop off at school and pick up although I do 1-2 days) and I drop off and pick up my younger at nursery.

We can't do without both in ft jobs ESP after he got made redundant. I cannot imagine what would have happened if we didn't have my job bringing in the money for bills!!!

Recently was at a school parents meal and I mentally took a poll and realized that all the mums there bar me were working part time or not at all. All in career type jobs but all pt. most of them also of the brigade of cake making for Christmas fair (I don't have a problem with that but I don't appreciate the comments like 'oh are you mum? Haven't seen you before...' And other similar bollocks). hmm

housesalehelp Sun 23-Dec-12 08:33:05

we both work full time - but its only be since september and my DS1 is just 7 - part-time before then I do have a flexiable employer/boss - I know a few people would work full time hours but its often at least some days start early and finish early say so they can do some school picks up - I think its still quite unsual - most mums I know work part-time

redskyatnight Sun 23-Dec-12 19:33:09

We both work f/t but our children are in school. We have no family help but I start early (dropping DC in breakfast club) and am home by 4.30, and DH works flexible hours so he can do after school pick up and then works later when I get home (he works from home!). I'm finding more and more families where both parents work full time as the children get older. Also, in the current recession, people are losing p/t jobs and then taking any job they can find - which is often a f/t one.

Also know many couples where e.g. they work different days (e.g. dad works Mon-Fri and mum Wed-Sun) or different hours (one works days, one evenings/weekends) to minimise childcare.

AnnoyedAtWork Sun 23-Dec-12 20:37:33

Very exhausted with no family help but a school that runs 7.30am to 6.30pm means we can both work full time (in London so 30-45 mins travel just from work to school then 15min home). I work 6/7am to 5.30pm and DP works 8.30ish to 6.30ish. He does morning school run I do evening. I do laundry he does cooking. Wish we could have better work life balance but we are lucky to both have good jobs and we are building a secure future for us and DD (7).

AnnoyedAtWork Sun 23-Dec-12 20:44:21

Wanted to add, no idea how we could have a baby in our current setup, not only cos double FT childcare cost but also sheer logistics. Really hoping to get to a point in career (soon?) where one or both of us could WFH a couple of days a week. I also have no social life or time for hobbies, but I guess that is normal for working parents shock

AfterEightMintyy Sun 23-Dec-12 20:44:43

Have to say I am scratching my head to think of partnerships I know where both work full time.

I suppose my boss does, but between them they earn an absolute fortune and employ a full-time Nanny.

I has never been possible in my marriage - my dh works 60+ hours a week sometimes, often away at a day's notice etc, and if I had worked full time too then my dc would barely have ever seen a parent. Which is not what we wanted for them.

AnnoyedAtWork Sun 23-Dec-12 20:47:28

All the parents (that i know of) at DD's school both work full time. It's nice to be around fellow evil careerists people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now