Can anyone advise on the best way to job hunt, the last time I did it there was no internet

(10 Posts)
solveproblem Sun 16-Dec-12 12:45:28

I got my job by sending the company an email telling them about myself and why I'd like to work for the company and I attached my cv.

I was very lucky though as a person had just handed his notice in and I got his job.

pennyhasset software, so I would imagine it's more paper light than most industries.

PenneyHasset Fri 14-Dec-12 16:25:52

Out of interest oneLittleToddlingTerror what sector are you in? In my pre child life I worked in the media.

MrsHoarder depending on the sector you are in, I haven't seen a printed out letter or CV for years.

PenneyHasset Fri 14-Dec-12 12:18:16

Lots of great ideas, thank you everyone. I think I'll get to work in January trying to find something.

It's so hard trying to work out childcare too, my eldest is old enough to be alone after school for a couple of hours but the younger two are just a bit too young at 10 and 11. I'm determined to work again though so I will find a way.

chutneypig Fri 14-Dec-12 06:01:50

I would say a LinkedIn profile would be a good showcase for you and could put you in touch with past contacts who could be very useful. I found it probably the most single useful thing I did when job hunting.

MrsHoarder Thu 13-Dec-12 15:48:25

One tactic I've found has had quite a lot of sucess, in a field which doesn't deal with consumers, is to find every company that you can in the area you want to work in, and if they aren't advertising jobs on their website, write a letter (obviously use the PC to write it, but try to send it via post if at all possible) to a named person. This information is generally available if you dig a bit on the company website/LinkedIn/companies house.

Then ideally follow up with a phone call. I never had the nerve for that, so asked for them to contact me if they were interested in employing me. Had something like a 75% success rate in getting interviews even when no jobs were being advertised.

I use indeed website they cover loads of websites and throw up jobs from said websites like reed etc easy to use to just google indeed jobs

housesalehelp Thu 13-Dec-12 15:12:43

ok - are there employers in your area you might like to work for - look on there websites - this has given me the most success
also telling everyone I know I am looking for a job
if you are in reach of london women like us do really good courses and I think there is one about looking for work online
do you know the area/sector you would like to work for -- if you are on twitter you can follow people in the area - and that keeps you up to date and sometime jobs come up
some people get jobs via LinkedIn - but I would say for some one returning that might be a bit of long shot

PenneyHasset Thu 13-Dec-12 14:25:11

I have been a SAHM for twelve years although for I did work for myself for a couple of years during that time. I've got itchy feet now and am ready to get back into work. Clearly there are lots of job websites, but there are also recruitment agencies and I've also heard of people finding work via twitter. Other than trawling through the general websites (they all seem to list the same jobs) and applying online I wonder if there is something else I ought to be doing. Is there a better strategy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now