Pre Teens (10yr) Reading at Young Adult/Adult Level - Book Recomendations...

(51 Posts)
rockinhippy Wed 13-Mar-13 12:16:27

My 10yr old DD is a very prolific reader & reads above her age, now loving young adult books & I'm finding keeping up with her & often getting "safe" book recomendations for her a bit of a nightmare, especially as I need lots of books to keep her busy,

I've posted on the chat section before, but have only really had recommendations that were more aimed at her age, or not far ahead, or old classics that really dont interest her at all - so I'm hoping posting here will be better (she is G&T) & I also thought I'm probably not the only one dealing with this, do starting a "Book Recommendations" thread might be useful to us all, or does a site or something exist that rates books as you would films ?? & if not, why notgrin it would make my life so much easier

I naturally want to avoid anything with sexual content, the odd nod to it is fine, but however grown up she seems, she is only 10 - but horror, science fiction, etc etc - she is fine with, she has a very analytical mind & isn't bothered by even more disturbing stuff, if anything she really enjoys it & sees it for what it is, rather than be frightened by it - I know she would love James Herbert books, but every time I pick one up to re-read - odd bits of heavy sexual content make it no good & though I'm sure I remember some being okay, I can't remember which onesconfused

So I will start off with recommendations of books she's read recently & loved & hopefully you could add yours too & we can share smile

*Maximum Ride series - James Patterson*- 8 Books in the series & she was very upset to finish them.

Shift - Em Bailey DD reckons this is one of the best stories ever - sadly no more by this author yet sad

Eve & Adam, Michael Grant & Katherine Apple Gate

I think these books appeal to both girls & boys, DDs taste isn't particularly girly, but she did also enjoy Mean Girls & others by the same author, which helped her though bullying at school

Please add your suggestions smile

TIA

lljkk Thu 14-Mar-13 20:03:12

I read a lot of Agatha Christie at that age, can see why DD doesn't take to them, though.

There are plenty on here I wouldn't want my 10yoDD to read.

DD is 11yo and especially recently enjoyed:

Anne of Green Gables
My story (the history diary series)
Judy Blume
Lady Grace mysteries
Darren Shan (when I let her)

Mortal Engines is very depressing, 13yo DS says (he love-hates them for it).

madamehooch Thu 14-Mar-13 20:59:26

Hunger Games and James Patterson are very 'readable' books - not particularly challenging but pretty addictive.

Other 'readable' books with a suitable content (taking into account what she is currently reading) are:-

Half Brother
The Medusa Project series by Sophie McKenzie
Shiverton Hall
Wonder
Secret Hen House Theatre
Hav3n (bit gory but good)
Cherub series by Robert Muchamore

alienbump Thu 14-Mar-13 21:05:41

Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness is fantastic, brilliant writing, my son read them first, passed them on to me and I've been forcing people to read them ever since.

alienbump Thu 14-Mar-13 21:10:31

Ooh, and if she's up for a bit of zombie fiction, Jonathan Maberry's young adult series is one of the best I've read. Think Rot and Ruin is the first one, but it's got great ballsy female characters in it which I really liked.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 14-Mar-13 21:12:02

John Grisham has read a couple if books for young peo

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 14-Mar-13 21:14:14

For young people. I bought them for myself featuring Theodore Boon young lawyer.

Dd us 11 and has the same issues. I was shocked when she bought noughts and crosses home from school. She likes H.I.V.E and Anthony Horowitz.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Thu 14-Mar-13 21:19:24

Curious incident drops the c-bomb. Just to let you know!

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 14-Mar-13 21:31:18

A really off the wall suggestion - Stephen Leather the Spider Shepherd series no sex fairly gritty very up to date. I would depend though on how aware she is of terrorism.

lljkk Fri 15-Mar-13 07:58:41

What is the c-bomb? It certainly drops the masturbation bomb.

RedHelenB Sun 17-Mar-13 09:35:25

At 10 I read anything & everything! The bits that were too adult to me were skipped over or just not understood but it didn't spoil the stories. I loved the Anne of Green Gables & the Emily of New Moon - the themes don't change over time like worrying about boyfriends & issues with friends.

cory Mon 18-Mar-13 13:31:47

"She really isn't interested in the classics at all, we do have plenty of them on our books shelves, but she says they are stuffy, boring & no-one talks like that any more - & I can see her point - she is 10 & its a modern world, so why would they interest her & she hates anything with vampires, werewolves etc etc -"

I think your dd may find herself out of the loop in a few years time as the bright girls will be reading Jane Austen (because of the films), Les Miserables (because of the musical), and Sherlock Holmes (because of the TV series) and quoting out of them all the time.

Dd goes to an ordinary state school with a not very affluent intake, but even so, wide and eclectic tastes do seem to be very much part of popular culture, at least in the upper sets. It's a modern world where you can get famous (as in Oscar-parties-girls-drooling-over-your-poster-famous) by playing Dickens or Tolkiens characters.

rockinhippy Mon 18-Mar-13 13:39:41

Cory, she may well change her mind by then, but if not, so what, I'm very proud to say, that so far "being in the loop" really isn't top of her list of priorities, she very much knows her own mind & doesn't read or watch just because its the popular thing to do, she follows her own interests, not others

rockinhippy Mon 18-Mar-13 13:40:31

& thanks for the other suggestions too everyone smile

Movingtimes Mon 18-Mar-13 13:50:41

Rockin - have a look at my website here list of books for 11-14 year olds - the website is mainly for secondary school English teachers but there are lots of suggestions of books your DD might enjoy.
Recent books I have read that she might like include Burn Mark by Laura Powell and Breathe by Sarah Crossan. I've reviewed both of them on my blog here.
My own 10-year-old precocious reader is reading a lot of Ali Sparkes at the moment which I think your DD might enjoy as well. The John Grisham Theodore Boone books might appeal as well.

rockinhippy Mon 18-Mar-13 13:55:46

Thanks Moving having just nosied at your book list & reviews, it looks fantastic for her - thank you

cory Mon 18-Mar-13 17:59:04

Following your own interests is admirable, rockinhippy, I was just picking up on your statement that she (and you) doesn't see the relevance of oldfashioned reading in a modern world.

And my answer would be (in part) that the modern world comprises a huge entertainment industry which is to a great extent based on traditional material. If you are talking of what is relevant to the modern world, then presumably you are talking of what is relevant to the people who live in the modern world.

rockinhippy Mon 18-Mar-13 19:53:59

But you are missing the point Cory, she just isn't interested in what is perceived as typical "female" literature & I doubt you would be so persistent if she were a BOY!!!

mrsmuffintop Mon 18-Mar-13 22:59:11

My 11 yo DD has been reading adult books since about 6. Here are some that she has enjoyed recently that (I think) others have not suggested:

Pony Club Rivals series by Stacy Gregg
Millicent Min Girl Genius and others by Lisa Yee
Two Weeks in Grade Six by Anna & Mary Pershall
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken (I loved this myself at that age!)
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler, and Jennifer Hecate MacBeth and Me by E. L Konigsburg
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Eleven etc series by Lauren Myracle
Secret Horse trilogy by Jane Smiley (what a wonderful writer)
Scat, Flush and Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
Charmed Life (Chrestomanci Series) by Diana Wynne Jones
The Edge of Nowhere by Elizabeth George
The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner
My Father's Glory and My Mother's Castle by Marcel Pagnol
Mao's last Dancer by Li Cunxin
Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah
Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson
Hating Alison Ashley by Robin Klein
Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden
Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer
A Traveller in Time by Alison Uttley
Frost in May by Antonia White
A Really Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

We also had a good laugh together at "May Contain Nuts" by John O'Farrell

mrsmuffintop Mon 18-Mar-13 23:13:25

Just to clarify: not all the above are adult books. They are books that I thought a precocious 10 year old might enjoy. Mao's Last Dancer did lead us into a long and convoluted discussion about why homosexuals were persecuted in cultural revolution China.

FriendlyLadybird Tue 19-Mar-13 17:45:16

I'm definitely siding with Cory in that I don't think you should dismiss the classics wholesale in the way that you are doing. Older writing is not 'typical "female" literature' -- it is, by and large, good literature, which is why it has survived.

I am all for people reading books they enjoy for relaxation. I know a very eminent philosopher who reads Len Deighton, for example.

But you asked for recommendations for books that would challenge her. Adult non-literary tat will not do that. Classic literary fiction, being all about human nature, is always relevant and will be challenging and thought-provoking.

She's 10, so of course she follows her own interests and thinks that things outside her immediate experience are probably 'boring'. Just don't support her in being closed-minded.

bunjies Tue 19-Mar-13 17:58:10

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.
Nancy Drew series.

rockinhippy Tue 19-Mar-13 21:19:19

Thank you all so much for all the relevant suggestions, lots of grat suggestions & we now have a good list to be going on with

I shall ignore the presumptious assumptions as far as my supporting DDs closed mindednesshmm around here we are open minded enough & not so up our own backsides to feel the need to read to just to show intellect & PUSH DCs into reading what really doesn't interest them - if that's off the mark, then apologies, but I know too many people in RL who make a big deal of reading classics for show, barely understand them & pushing their own DCs into reading such material & nothing else, its become a bit of a status symbol - Darling X is reading blah blah blah & I'm so proud & then the following week they excuse their DCs illiteracy with suspected SN & the DCs themselves own up to hating books - I don't care if allowing my DD to follow her own tastes & not put her off reading by pushing others highbrow ideas of good literature onto her - we rule nothing out - but I want to feed her passion for reading, not put her offwink

aliasPrickleandJones Sun 24-Mar-13 21:32:56

My dd is 11 yrs and a prolific reader. It has worried me for a while that she is increasingly pushed towards the 'young adult' section as she is running out of books that she has not read. She has a wide taste in books and reads very fast.

She has not really hit puberty yet and she is still very much a 'girl' rather than a 'teenager' and it worries me that she is reading books that are a bit heavy on sex and relationships she does not quite understand.

Her Easter holiday reading supplied by her school is A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly which I think includes an account of a real life murder hmm

She's recently enjoyed I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith and Fearless by Tim Lott.

Having said that she is currently doing a lot of comfort reading and revisiting some old favourites including Pippi Longstocking and Magic Faraway Tree!

archfiend Sun 24-Mar-13 21:42:21

Have skimmed thread so apologies if i am repeating anything. Kathy Reichs has a YA series called Virals I think - quite similar to the maximum ride series.

The Giver is excellent - think there are a couple more books after that.

What about Brave New World? Might be a bit adult in places but stunning book.

City of the Beasts by Isabelle Allende is great too.

archfiend Sun 24-Mar-13 21:48:44

Also try The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson - some adult content but nothing explicit IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now