Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena Coil removal - mood crash

(100 Posts)
michelle2706 Tue 05-May-09 23:10:04

Hi,

Has anyone had problems once their coil has been removed?

I got mine out 8 days ago after it being in for 6mths. Was constantly tired, spotty, headachey, nervous, depressed anxious, no sex drive...etc.

2 days after removal i was spotting. 4 days after I got a feeling like i was going to faint and be sick and this continued for 2hrs. Husband took me to a&e as i hyperventilated (didn't know this at the time) and brought on pins and needles in my arms and legs.

I have been so down then my period started properly on the saturday, full swing on sunday, but my mood is like a roundabout stops and starts very quickly and my tummy feels weird. Am used to having pms and cramps with my period, but this feels weird and it's horrible.

When will i feel normal, how do I know when I ovulate and will that make me feel better?

Any thoughts would be great!

Michelle

nasher23 Thu 11-Sep-14 06:59:07

Just had mine removed after a year and a half and do not regret it in the slightest. The minute that beast was pulled out it was like giving birth all over again without the pain, 2 seconds and then the relief! I bled as a normal period for a week and am now getting back to normal. No bloating! Yay. I have a lot of weight to lose, 2 stone I gained with that coil. Doctors telling you the side effects are talking out their rear end. I'd never had trouble with weight before and I've had 2 kids and lost weight straight after having them. The mood swings, lack of libido, acne, fatigue, never had any of that before - the doctors are not gonna tell you that as they wouldn't sell any if they did. My mother in law thinks hers is amazing so it does work for her but these forums tell you otherwise for some people. I heard the doctors are on a bond system from the pharmaceutical companies to get rid of these things, so they aren't gonna warn you coz its not beneficial to their pockets. You know your body better than anyone and no amount of research is going to tell me any different. I have yet to lose any weight but there's already a difference with the bloat ing. I am starting a healthy eating plan asap. If it doesn't suit you, get rid!

SailorGirl4 Mon 25-Aug-14 22:50:26

I am having mine removed tomorrow after 6.5 years. Heavy periods stopped, but the weight gain, hair loss ( around 50%), tiredness, insomnia, foggy feeling, numbness of mind, angry outbursts, inability to enjoy life ( previously was the life and soul ) are just not worth it. I feel like I have lost 6 years if my life. Hate, hate, hate it. I do concur tho' that for some women it died indeed work - just not for me!

deee23 Sat 23-Aug-14 22:52:24

I had my coil removed 2 months ago as was getting stomach cramps and my partner had been given the all clear on his vasectomy, so no need to keep it in, I have noticed some weight loss, which is good and that I do feel better in myself. I bled for about a week after removal, which was pain free, then had a month with no bleeding but am now on the start
of the 3rd week of bleeding, which has at times been very heavy, with large clots which I had never had before so caused a panic! The bleeding isn't constant, it's heavy for couple of days then eases off and I think it's ok to not wear a tampon, then it comes back really heavy. Getting really fed up with it now and its making me feel quiet down about it but suppose I need to just see how the next few months go and hopefully it will just go back to a normal period, fingers crossed! x

livelovelife Tue 19-Aug-14 18:00:54

Hi I've been on this site at various different stages reading about the coil and it's side effects and I find it harrowing to read some of the experiences and the possible mood crash also after removal.
I have had the Mirena for just over 3 years now and it's served me well for preventing pregnancy, no periods and been very convenient as I was living and traveling abroad for 2 1\2 years and this would have been very tricky if I was on the pill. I'm happy that I've had it for these reasons but from time to time have worried about how it's affecting me. I've gotten used to it I think and have not had severe problems like some but all in all in the last 3 years I have seen that I've suffered with mood swings, ache, weight gain or constant bloating feeling.

I eat healthy though my appetite has increased and I'm even more addicted to sugary foods hence the weight gain, I look after my skin and have never had bad skin though some hormonal time if the month spots previously. My weight gain is only about 1\2 stone but enough for me especially as I do loads of exercise so it's quite frustrating.
Today I saw my nurse about it after returning home, she does not believe these side affects r fully Morena but then they could be as all women react differently, in the leaflet she gave me they say they are common side effects!!?? She told me to way up living with some spots small weight gain with having a good form of reliable contraception but also went through a dozen different pills etc to consider and also the new jaydess coil which is smaller and has less of the hormone in it compared to Mirena so likely to have a period but not regular and again it's a lottery is what she basically implied. She was understanding but cannot predict how it will affect me changing etc and really recommended me staying on it esp for pregnancy protection as I don't want a baby right now. I like the coil for the convenience and no period but not sure if actually it feel better in my own body if I didn't have it? I'm 34 don't need ache and don't need this extra few pounds or bloated feeling sad what other contraception have others considered who have had the coil removed and have experience similar to me?

Any thoughts much appreciated x

passion3flower Tue 29-Jul-14 00:38:26

There's a very informative site with lots of information on how to lose weight and get rid of the mirena iud side effects and find other natural birth control options. Check out: mirenadetox.com/mirena-weight-gain/ Her detox has also been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it

RadicalRunner Thu 24-Jul-14 12:19:33

Oh no - had mine removed yesterday and going on holiday on Saturday hope the crash doesn't hit me then. I echo everyone else, it was the single most destructive factor in my life! I have gone from happy, easy gong to low moods, depression, anxiety, bloating and many of the other issues described above. I shall be prepared for the crash!

CJW123 Thu 24-Jul-14 12:12:59

I have just registered as I feel so compelled to share my experience with the mirena coil after hearing all your stories.

I had it fitted 4 years ago to reduce my heavy periods. My periods were so heavy I was loosing too much blood it put me in A&E twice . After tried and tested every other contraception this was a last resort, the idea being that the hormones in the coil are locallised to the womb meaning that side effects compared to the pop are lower as there is less hormone in the blood stream. The procedure wasn’t too bad but I had the following day off with severe cramps (may have been ok in an office based job though).

After a few months my periods stopped all together. I was GREAT for 2 ½ years and didn’t miss the debilitating periods!

Then 18 months ago I started to feel bloated all the time. I changed all my clothes so they were baggy, stopped having sex as I didn’t feel sexy anymore. The IBS symptoms got worse and I had permacramps to the point where I couldn’t exercise anymore. I then got depressed, which is a severe mental health issue that should never be overlooked and I would not wish it on my worse enemy. I nearly lost my job and stopped eating for over 2 months.

I saw 9 doctors, none of which believed it was the coil. Yes there were other factors in my life that contributed to the depression and a year later I am finally recovered, however I have had colonoscopys, scans, blood tests and been on several diets to discover what has been causing the bloated. 4 more doctors later I begged for the coil to be removed. Instant success!

Its been 2 months out. My mood is constantly better and although the periods have returned with vengeance I feel great. I am taking herbals (agnes castus, anyone else tried?) to try and reduce heaviness but will never have the coil put back in.

The last doctor said that because the coil can stop ovulation that “yes of course the bloating is likely to have been caused by the coil”. But the bloatedness has come back again recently. I am hoping it because my periods have not regulated yet again, however I am BEGGING for any response from anyone with regards to timeframes post coil removal as to how long it takes to get back to “normal”.

Fellow coil users, I cannot thank you enough for your messages and feedback, this thread has really helped me (sorry for long msg).

Corrie3344 Wed 16-Jul-14 13:08:41

Hey

Just wondering how long it took you to get back to normal? I am also 23 and experiencing the horrible side effects.
I am a month post removal!
X

Trigeroo00 Wed 25-Jun-14 08:00:10

Hi, just had my mirena removed yesterday. No pain as yet so hope it stays like that. Had a coil for the last 14 years and never really thought it was causing problems but reading on here mood swings weight gain palpitations just thought I was getting old I'm 42. Me and partner would like a baby so had it removed will see how things go. Thanks got this thread

Magicmum1978 Mon 26-May-14 11:21:46

Well had my MC removed 4 days ago and have already lost 2lbs! I am not as bloated, and feel so much better, my moods have defo lifted and do not feel anywhere nearly as irritated as I did! It came out in seconds didn't hurt at all, only had a little bleeding on day 3 no pains! I feel free now it has gone!!

Magicmum1978 Wed 21-May-14 11:30:08

This thread has been a breath of fresh air! I thought I was slowly going mad, I had my MC fitted 21 months ago as I can not use the pill due to horrendous migraines, and I already have 5 children. I spoke to the doc on several occasions about my options and this coil seemed the best choice for me, I was advised it would take 6 months to settle well that was not the case it took about 14 months, my periods were a lot lighter but no pattern to them, they can last a day or 3, then stop and start again without warning, I also have period pains and pmt with no bleeding! I have been trying to loose weight for over a year, I swim 4 times a week and have cut our surgery foods and carb and a glass or 2 of wine and have lost nothing and some days put on weight!! Extremely frustrating!! After reading this thread and seeing other symptoms I have nearly all of them, weight gain, very moody (my poor kids!!) depressed, hair constantly falling out (which I blamed on my thyroid as I had a lump growing on it, I had the left lobe removed in jan 14 and hair still falling out!) acne, bleary eyes etc
I am having it removed tomorrow so fingers crossed I don't experience to many of the after effects, but do think I will be so much happier once it is out of me! I will not be putting any more hormones in to my body they really don't suit me!! My husband is very supportive of my decision, he likes me better when I am pill and coil free!!! It hasn't effected my sex drive, and unlike the pill I have not suffered from anxiety and paranoia or migraines/headaches.

bee4ilph Sat 17-May-14 20:40:06

Had my MC removed 3 days ago. Had it in for 7 months because of heavy periods. Did it work? Yes and No... Bleeding was much lighter but I was bleeding for 3 weeks out of 4. I gained weight, I was severely depressed and had no libido whatsoever,but worst of all: I have Addisons disease and I'm also hypo thyroid. Since having the MC my other conditions have become more and more difficult to manage. None of my drugs which I had been taking for the last 12 years seemed to work for me anymore. My blood pressure is all over the shop and I've had to give up work for the time being as I am totally unable to function. And then a couple of weeks ago I started having problems with my heart. An echo scan showed "diastolic dysfunction". I've been keeping a diary since the day I had that bloody coil fitted and there is no doubt in my mind that I have steadily deteriorated ever since.

Well, it's out. I've been bleeding a bit since then but I have felt a lot less anxious already. My boobs have been a little sore since yesterday and I have had a mild headache since I woke up this morning. Feels a bit like the period headaches I used to get. I'm guessing it's going to take a while for the synthetic progesterone to to disappear out of my system.

roddel84 Fri 16-May-14 07:20:52

Do you feel any better a week or 2 on?

roddel84 Fri 16-May-14 07:19:28

Hi
I get married in September this year and we was going to try for baby number 2 more or less straight away. I'm a bit worries now to have the coil removed as we go away the day after the wedding. It would have been great to get caught after on the "honey moon" but I'm dubious now as I don't want all this trouble for my wedding or holiday.
Also the wires that are meant to be felt haven't been there since day one although a scan shows the coil is still in place. I'm a bit worries how they are going to remve it? :-/ is it a local and a bit of surgery or down to bare basics and gonna be seriously uncomfortable!

Just72 Thu 08-May-14 13:09:33

Hi, I had mine moved yesterday... I was asked to give a good smokers cough & it was out... Pain free & simple.
I hope I will return to normal soon... I'm feeling very tired & not in the best of moods but I'm sure it will pass. Good luck!

Just72 Thu 08-May-14 13:06:30

Hello I had the marina coil fitted for very heavy periods ... I had it removed yesterday after 7 months of being on a permenant period... It varied from being heavy to spotting - but my mood, libido & general well being where all affected.. I have never known such fatigue & depression & I'm so glad I've had it removed...my weight stayed the same but my hair was falling out, my skin was breaking out in spots, it just didn't agree with me at all..I'm not sure what my periods will do but it can't be any worse than when I had the coil in.

exodus1414 Fri 02-May-14 11:53:36

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for posting your post mirena 'crash' here as it has helped me understand what is going on in me at the moment. I had a MC in for 5 years and had a replacement last November..which didnt go well..so I had it removed on April 16th...I had bleeding for3days after 2days and now 10-14 days later I am suffering with anxiety, low appetite, nervousness, feeling down and unmotivated. Please could you let me know how you are and how long these symptoms persisted with you. kind regards xxxx

mads82 Sat 26-Apr-14 08:46:52

My first advice would be that everybody is different & what works for one may not for another. You will only know by trying.

I just had the MC removed this week after 18 months of use & have had no crash, in fact I feel like the old me & back to being bouncy & happy immediately. Though it's only a small amount of hormones, after 20 yrs of trying various methods I have now decided I am a much happier & better person without any false hormones. I had the copper coil for 2 yrs before the MC & whilst that was brilliant in terms of I felt well within myself, the cramps I would get regularly became too much. I had to weigh up the options & went with the MC - which was the exact opposite, no cramps (though period took about 5 months to settle, & then stopped) but I was depressed, sad, angry, crying for no reason - all the really bad PMT affects but constantly.

I was on various different pills for 10 yrs & never knew how much the false hormones affected me until I came off them. I tried the implant (fine for 18 months) but deep down, the happiest I've been as a grown woman was when I wasn't on anything. So have told my partner of 6 yrs that we are using condoms from now & he agrees, he's seen the affect these hormones have had on me & wants me to be happy. Frankly I couldn't give a damn if we use condoms & the thought of going through all that hormonal emotional trauma just so the man can enjoy sex more is insane. Wish I had made a stand sooner! Good luck ladies x

Square1 Thu 24-Apr-14 01:32:43

I had my MC removed today.
I had it put in 6 months ago for heavy periods. Since then I have developed severe anxiety ( I am on antidepressants, beta blocker and sleeping tablets and receiving therapy)!
My eyes are out of focus - not blurry but as if I'm about to get a migraine constantly and I have vertigo symptoms. I have had blood tests and been back to dr but everything normal. I happened to put in mirena coil symptoms and up came all my symptoms! I've felt like I've been going mad. I'm hoping these symptoms will now go! Has anybody else experienced these and if so how long until I'm feeling better? Like many others I read the info leaflet after insertion!

Tanya1973 Sat 19-Apr-14 10:42:15

I had my mirena taken out after three years,it was very good ,but for last few months before taking out it was hurting. I now am experiencing a crash.its been out a week,and i had a light bleed for four days then nothing for a week.i had a really moody day at work and felt so tired in the evening i wandered,whatever is going on here?By the next morning i had a blood clot and bad cramps thought i was on a period,that night i had heart palpitations,my belly felt sick and nervous,i had insomnia the whole night i woke up like every hour and felt so much anxiety. The next morning i had a headache,no bleeding no cramps but a sore feeling.I hope this is not gonna take long to sort out .so IM going to take women's essence from Australian flower remedy to see if it will help regulate it quicker

Hannah636 Fri 28-Mar-14 11:11:09

Hi, ive had my mirena coil in four years now and had severe depression for three, low sex drive , abdominal pain and pain and bleeding after intercourse. I have an appointment to have it removed in a weeks time at the hospital as the strings are no longer visible. I was just wondering if anyone could explain how they go about removing it and if its painfull and also how long it was before you return to your normal self ? Thanks

BitchPeas Sun 23-Mar-14 17:22:05

I'm so glad I've found this thread.

Had my mirena coil out 1 month ago as wanted to give my body a break before ttc in November.

While I had it in I gained 1.5 stone.

When I had it out I bled for two days, but since then nothing but I have continuously felt like I'm about to come on, I'm spotty, pale, nauseous, my boobs have gone from a C to a DD. My stomach in so bloated I look 5 months gone, it's also rock hard and tender, I ache all over, I cry at everything, I'm so short tempered and depressed, my hairs falling out and I veering between diarrhoea and constipation every few days blush

When will this stop? When will my period come back properly? I'm sick of feeling like this! Has anyone lost the weight they gained?

YankNCock Sun 23-Mar-14 16:16:04

I had a copper coil fitted when DS2 was 8 months, due to not wanting hormones. Unfortunately, this caused really heavy periods, where I was scared to leave the house due to needing to empty my mooncup every hour! So doc suggested swapping to Mirena. I had it put in about 5 weeks ago and I've not stopped bleeding since.

I had terrible headaches the first week, then mood swings and irritability, then acne (I'm 37 FFS!), then swelling in my hands so bad that I've had to remove my rings. Constant tingling/numbness in my hands too, like I experienced with both pregnancies. And I've gained about 4 kilograms, even though I am fairly sure I'm not eating differently--assume this is water weight.

I phoned up the clinic crying, asking if they could take it out asap, but there are no appointments till Tuesday when my 6 week check is scheduled. I asked if I could have it out then, and the receptionist hemmed and hawed and said it was up to the doctor! Surely if I want the fucking thing out it should be MY choice???

I'm ready to yank the thing out myself. Was promised 'the hormones are localised' and 'no side effects except your period disappearing!'. FUCK the FUCK off stupid lying wankers!

<disclaimer: I am very very moody and irritable now, see above for evidence.>

SuperMum84 Fri 21-Mar-14 21:28:17

Hi,

I had my coil removed 7 days ago. It was in for 2 years, my 2nd coil, the first was in for 4/5 months as I had a bartholin cyst & blamed the coil. The 2nd coil I had fitted also caused a bartholin cyst a few weeks later so I think they're definitely related.
I have put on a stone since having the coil, I was feeling bloated, grumpy, lower back pain, cramping around my c section scar area, I'd had spitting for the first 3 months of getting the foil fitted but that was all.

I've had it out 7 days, I had some spotting on the Friday it came out, mood swings Monday, what seemed to be a very light period tues-fri, I've always had clear skin but I'm on my 3rd spot since the coil came out, not even a small spot, a beasty! My back is less achy but my breast are tender and sore, I used to get this when I was on my period or due on. I'm really tired but that may be stress from other things. I'm going to give my body a break and see what happens, I suffered really bad with heavy periods before the coil was fitted, super heavy tampax and changing every 15 mins! Hoping they stay away!

Kelkel1980 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:20:59

I suffered with extremely heavy periods was changing sanitary wear ever 15-20 minutes it was affecting everything i did and was ruining my life
I had the coil fitted a year ago but now want it taken out to try and start a family with my partner
Has any one with heavy periods like this have it out and successfully have children as this is really worrying me and the doctor isnt that helpful and just says having a baby will help with the bleeding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now