Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena Coil removal - mood crash

(111 Posts)
michelle2706 Tue 05-May-09 23:10:04

Has anyone had problems once their coil has been removed?

I got mine out 8 days ago after it being in for 6mths. Was constantly tired, spotty, headachey, nervous, depressed anxious, no sex drive...etc.

2 days after removal i was spotting. 4 days after I got a feeling like i was going to faint and be sick and this continued for 2hrs. Husband took me to a&e as i hyperventilated (didn't know this at the time) and brought on pins and needles in my arms and legs.

I have been so down then my period started properly on the saturday, full swing on sunday, but my mood is like a roundabout stops and starts very quickly and my tummy feels weird. Am used to having pms and cramps with my period, but this feels weird and it's horrible.

When will i feel normal, how do I know when I ovulate and will that make me feel better?

Any thoughts would be great!

Fairythoughts58 Mon 16-Feb-15 22:34:18

Hi I have just joined to add to the discussion. I have had a more a coil for about 5 years ... Heavy periods and the start of the menopause.... It has been brilliant. I had it removed about a week ago because I don't need it any more ... Oh my god to I feel horrible ... Vomiting, passing out, disoriented, bloated etc etc and just started spotting too, thought it was some new medication instead of HRT glad I found this thread I'm sure I feel so bad because of the removal ... and hope it goes soon .... Nobody said i might feel like this

LigiaLiji Thu 12-Feb-15 18:32:03

Mirena causes all kinds of side effects, hormonal imbalances, estrogen dominance, silicona and copper toxicity, etc. I recommend everyone who is serious about stopping all their unbearable side effects to watch the video on this page:

noddyholder Sat 07-Feb-15 15:47:38

I know they give some women a certain amount of freedom etc but a friend of mine had one and she developed neck pain and dizziness which she just learned to live with and did swimming/painkillers to keep on top of it. After about 2 years she developed severe lower back pain and was about to have surgery when a female doctor in another country suggested she have the coil removed as it can trigger autoimmune symptoms. Within 4 weeks she was back to normal so its not for everyone

LigiaLiji Sat 07-Feb-15 15:43:35

Mirena causes all kinds of side effects, hormonal imbalances, estrogen dominance, silicona and copper toxicity, etc. I recommend everyone who is serious about stopping all their unbearable side effects to watch the video on this page: mirenadetox

Chimp007 Sat 20-Dec-14 18:00:54

Wow! I am Soon glad it's not just me!
Have the marina coil they said.
Its a bit uncomfortable to fit!
But you won't have the hormone side effects as it's localised!!
All lies
It was extremely painful to fit, it continued to be extremely painful for several weeks. Cramps, shooting pains down my legs and continuous on off bleeding for several months. Which 18 months later is still random.
loss of libido, bloating, weight gain, horrible big painful spots, excema, hives, asthma out of control, blurred vision,,palpitations, anxiety through the roof, panic attacks, brain fog, forgetting to breath! All caused by synthetic hormone. How do I know this?
Because I had the exact same thing on the pill. Except I could just stop taking that.
Can I find anyone qualified to remove this spawn of Satan from me! Can I hell.
It is driving me insane.
If I didn't have really bad adhesions from a previous ectopic I would risk pulling it myself, I've delivered lambs, piglets and calves. I pretty confident that I can manage this INSIDIOUS evil satanic piece of plastic.
Rant over. I think grin

Any hoo I still feel like the hormonal wreck from hell. But at least it's not just me. Courage Ladies, we will defeat the monstergrin

michelleGrace Mon 15-Dec-14 21:45:59

I had to register after reading your posts!! I had the coil fitted 15 months ago for no other reason than stopping my periods.... Slowly but surely I got more and more spots... Not just spots like you got as a teenager but lumps too that were quite painful even to touch!! I became more and more anxious and my thoughts were not rational... Crying at silly things.... Feeling insecure...turning the air con on at work as it made me have hot flushes!! . As a nurse and a mother of two ... Usually quite organised and patient but my patience and ability to cope were wearing thin!! I actually thought I was going mad.... I have only had it removed today and within hours felt calmer and felt my chest relax.... I have had it removed to save my sanity and my relationship!!

Caz121973 Thu 11-Dec-14 11:33:27

I registered just to add this post...
Had the Mirena coil fitted in early 2011 when my daughter was 1.
Initially thought it was great...mainly no periods! (Although thinking about it during the last year my skin has been really awful and my libido has been non-existent). However, since approximately April of this year I have been experiencing constant lower back and hip pain/stiffness. I initially put it down to the demands of my job (lots of driving) but ended up seeing an osteo in June and then got referred to a neuro surgeon and ended up having an MRI which was non-conclusive but basically ruled out any serious disc issues.
Was chatting it through with a girlfriend recently when I suddenly thought about my coil - so went home and googled 'Mirena and back pain' and couldn't believe what I was reading. Found a site on Facebook called Ban Mirena and there are hundreds of women in the USA who have had varying degrees of issues with the Mirena.
Now I would like to consider myself a very logical person and I am sure that there are many women who have had the Mirena fitted and have been just fine, but for the rest of us who are suffering, I believe that where there is smoke there is fire. Too many women have had similar problems...with the side effects being awful for those experiencing them.
I spoke to my doctor a couple of weeks ago about my concerns and he defended the Mirena, but said that if I wanted to have it removed then he was happy to do so. I was referred to his colleague (a lady doctor) who unfortunately couldn't locate it (had an ultrasound last year as couldn't feel the threads and was told then that I may need to have it removed at the hospital); anyway I now have an ultra sound appt booked for next week at the hospital to locate it and I then have a gyne appt booked for just after Christmas to have it removed (hopefully). Can't wait to have this thing removed and hope to feel normal again, at the very least I will be able to rule the Mirena out as causing my pain.
I will post an update once I have one.
Ladies, you know your bodies, trust your instincts, don't suffer.

Snugglepiggy Wed 03-Dec-14 08:53:55

Thanks for the recent posts.Havent had time to read the whole thread ,but it's given me the determination to stick to my guns and say no yet again to having the MC fitted.In my mid 50s I've been fast tracked for a hysteroscopy due to heavy bleeding after sex and screening for cancer has been mentioned,presumably uterine as my last smear was normal and cervix looks healthy.I've had years of very heavy periods,some up to 20 days long with subsequent anaemia.I'm not so not worried about the procedure but once again the doctor,consultant this time handed me a leaflet and asked me to reconsider a MC.I said no.Just find out if it's anything sinister.If so treat it please,and if not surely to god these heavy bleeds will stop when I'm through the peri-menopause and fully menopausal.Am I just a stupid stubborn mule ? But having been sterilised after my 3rd DC over twenty years ago don't want a foreign body inserting, and hate the sound of some of the side effects..

Lvegas Tue 02-Dec-14 15:42:08

Have just arranged to have the mirena removed. Had it fitted in Oct 2011 and it made a huge difference to my life. I had been suffering with very heavy periods and on some days couldn't leave the house, the mirena stopped the bleeding (although I spotted for almost a year) and I felt great. However, in July of this year I became very bloated and started having lots of headaches. I suffer from migraines and by the September I was waking with migraine and going to bed with a migraine. The doctors tried lots of preventatives but none worked. I suggested the headaches could be because of the coil but each doctor adamantly refused. I have had dizziness, blurred eyesight, leg pains, palpitations, bloating, tiredness and insomnia!! After reading the comments in here I have booked to have the coil taken out. I thought I was going mad and that all of these symptoms were because of 'my age' (I'm 51). But I'm now convinced it's the Mirena causing them. Here's hoping to a headache free, slimmer (forgot to say I've put on 1 stone since July) happier time ahead. ��

SADlady1 Sun 30-Nov-14 20:48:57

I am due to have my MC removed soon, having read these post I am wondering if I should have had it removed a lot sooner. I am 52, the MC was fitted because of heavy blood loss with my periods. Whilst it has been great not having periods for the last 5 years, I now think I have paid a heavy price as I suffer in other ways. I am so very sad all the time, I dont enjoy life, i have no libido what so ever, I am constantly tired yet can not sleep, I have been on anti-depressants although I am not depressed just sad. I have gained a stone in weight and have no get up and go. I feel that I am just here not living. I think the only things missing from my list are spots and hair loss, really hope life is better after the removal.

Jaynestump Mon 24-Nov-14 11:25:00

I had a marena coil fitted a year ago due to very heavy periods and a low blood count. For 10 months it seemed okay. I had light periods for the first time in my life, although i noticed I could not lose weight despite drastically trying!
2 months ago, however, I suddenly had the heaviest prolonged bleeding I had ever experienced before in my life! My mood swings were horrendous (my husband and children barely escaped with their lives lol). My low blood count had returned too.
After an ultrasound the doctor found that the coil had slipped out of place and was no longer doing its job. It had also embedded itself into the uterine lining and needed to be removed with minor surgery. At the same time the doctor discovered I had a 7cm fibroid in my uterus and she said that is what had caused my prolonged bleeding the last 2 months (although after reading up on here about the side effects from the coil removal I now think that the constant bleeding was down to that, as my period has now retuned back to normal!
I refused to have another coil fitted as I feel so good now, less bloated and the weight is just falling off thank god!
The doc suggested I have an endometrial ablation where they microwave the inner lining of the womb to prevent future periods. I've since read horror stories on the Internet about this op and its side effects so I think I'm going to give that a miss and try to persevere with heavy menstruation and live on iron tablets until my menopause in 10 yrs time. It can't come quick enough, believe me!

nasher23 Thu 11-Sep-14 06:59:07

Just had mine removed after a year and a half and do not regret it in the slightest. The minute that beast was pulled out it was like giving birth all over again without the pain, 2 seconds and then the relief! I bled as a normal period for a week and am now getting back to normal. No bloating! Yay. I have a lot of weight to lose, 2 stone I gained with that coil. Doctors telling you the side effects are talking out their rear end. I'd never had trouble with weight before and I've had 2 kids and lost weight straight after having them. The mood swings, lack of libido, acne, fatigue, never had any of that before - the doctors are not gonna tell you that as they wouldn't sell any if they did. My mother in law thinks hers is amazing so it does work for her but these forums tell you otherwise for some people. I heard the doctors are on a bond system from the pharmaceutical companies to get rid of these things, so they aren't gonna warn you coz its not beneficial to their pockets. You know your body better than anyone and no amount of research is going to tell me any different. I have yet to lose any weight but there's already a difference with the bloat ing. I am starting a healthy eating plan asap. If it doesn't suit you, get rid!

SailorGirl4 Mon 25-Aug-14 22:50:26

I am having mine removed tomorrow after 6.5 years. Heavy periods stopped, but the weight gain, hair loss ( around 50%), tiredness, insomnia, foggy feeling, numbness of mind, angry outbursts, inability to enjoy life ( previously was the life and soul ) are just not worth it. I feel like I have lost 6 years if my life. Hate, hate, hate it. I do concur tho' that for some women it died indeed work - just not for me!

deee23 Sat 23-Aug-14 22:52:24

I had my coil removed 2 months ago as was getting stomach cramps and my partner had been given the all clear on his vasectomy, so no need to keep it in, I have noticed some weight loss, which is good and that I do feel better in myself. I bled for about a week after removal, which was pain free, then had a month with no bleeding but am now on the start
of the 3rd week of bleeding, which has at times been very heavy, with large clots which I had never had before so caused a panic! The bleeding isn't constant, it's heavy for couple of days then eases off and I think it's ok to not wear a tampon, then it comes back really heavy. Getting really fed up with it now and its making me feel quiet down about it but suppose I need to just see how the next few months go and hopefully it will just go back to a normal period, fingers crossed! x

livelovelife Tue 19-Aug-14 18:00:54

Hi I've been on this site at various different stages reading about the coil and it's side effects and I find it harrowing to read some of the experiences and the possible mood crash also after removal.
I have had the Mirena for just over 3 years now and it's served me well for preventing pregnancy, no periods and been very convenient as I was living and traveling abroad for 2 1\2 years and this would have been very tricky if I was on the pill. I'm happy that I've had it for these reasons but from time to time have worried about how it's affecting me. I've gotten used to it I think and have not had severe problems like some but all in all in the last 3 years I have seen that I've suffered with mood swings, ache, weight gain or constant bloating feeling.

I eat healthy though my appetite has increased and I'm even more addicted to sugary foods hence the weight gain, I look after my skin and have never had bad skin though some hormonal time if the month spots previously. My weight gain is only about 1\2 stone but enough for me especially as I do loads of exercise so it's quite frustrating.
Today I saw my nurse about it after returning home, she does not believe these side affects r fully Morena but then they could be as all women react differently, in the leaflet she gave me they say they are common side effects!!?? She told me to way up living with some spots small weight gain with having a good form of reliable contraception but also went through a dozen different pills etc to consider and also the new jaydess coil which is smaller and has less of the hormone in it compared to Mirena so likely to have a period but not regular and again it's a lottery is what she basically implied. She was understanding but cannot predict how it will affect me changing etc and really recommended me staying on it esp for pregnancy protection as I don't want a baby right now. I like the coil for the convenience and no period but not sure if actually it feel better in my own body if I didn't have it? I'm 34 don't need ache and don't need this extra few pounds or bloated feeling sad what other contraception have others considered who have had the coil removed and have experience similar to me?

Any thoughts much appreciated x

passion3flower Tue 29-Jul-14 00:38:26

There's a very informative site with lots of information on how to lose weight and get rid of the mirena iud side effects and find other natural birth control options. Check out: Her detox has also been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it

RadicalRunner Thu 24-Jul-14 12:19:33

Oh no - had mine removed yesterday and going on holiday on Saturday hope the crash doesn't hit me then. I echo everyone else, it was the single most destructive factor in my life! I have gone from happy, easy gong to low moods, depression, anxiety, bloating and many of the other issues described above. I shall be prepared for the crash!

CJW123 Thu 24-Jul-14 12:12:59

I have just registered as I feel so compelled to share my experience with the mirena coil after hearing all your stories.

I had it fitted 4 years ago to reduce my heavy periods. My periods were so heavy I was loosing too much blood it put me in A&E twice . After tried and tested every other contraception this was a last resort, the idea being that the hormones in the coil are locallised to the womb meaning that side effects compared to the pop are lower as there is less hormone in the blood stream. The procedure wasn’t too bad but I had the following day off with severe cramps (may have been ok in an office based job though).

After a few months my periods stopped all together. I was GREAT for 2 ½ years and didn’t miss the debilitating periods!

Then 18 months ago I started to feel bloated all the time. I changed all my clothes so they were baggy, stopped having sex as I didn’t feel sexy anymore. The IBS symptoms got worse and I had permacramps to the point where I couldn’t exercise anymore. I then got depressed, which is a severe mental health issue that should never be overlooked and I would not wish it on my worse enemy. I nearly lost my job and stopped eating for over 2 months.

I saw 9 doctors, none of which believed it was the coil. Yes there were other factors in my life that contributed to the depression and a year later I am finally recovered, however I have had colonoscopys, scans, blood tests and been on several diets to discover what has been causing the bloated. 4 more doctors later I begged for the coil to be removed. Instant success!

Its been 2 months out. My mood is constantly better and although the periods have returned with vengeance I feel great. I am taking herbals (agnes castus, anyone else tried?) to try and reduce heaviness but will never have the coil put back in.

The last doctor said that because the coil can stop ovulation that “yes of course the bloating is likely to have been caused by the coil”. But the bloatedness has come back again recently. I am hoping it because my periods have not regulated yet again, however I am BEGGING for any response from anyone with regards to timeframes post coil removal as to how long it takes to get back to “normal”.

Fellow coil users, I cannot thank you enough for your messages and feedback, this thread has really helped me (sorry for long msg).

Corrie3344 Wed 16-Jul-14 13:08:41

Just wondering how long it took you to get back to normal? I am also 23 and experiencing the horrible side effects.
I am a month post removal!

Trigeroo00 Wed 25-Jun-14 08:00:10

Hi, just had my mirena removed yesterday. No pain as yet so hope it stays like that. Had a coil for the last 14 years and never really thought it was causing problems but reading on here mood swings weight gain palpitations just thought I was getting old I'm 42. Me and partner would like a baby so had it removed will see how things go. Thanks got this thread

Magicmum1978 Mon 26-May-14 11:21:46

Well had my MC removed 4 days ago and have already lost 2lbs! I am not as bloated, and feel so much better, my moods have defo lifted and do not feel anywhere nearly as irritated as I did! It came out in seconds didn't hurt at all, only had a little bleeding on day 3 no pains! I feel free now it has gone!!

Magicmum1978 Wed 21-May-14 11:30:08

This thread has been a breath of fresh air! I thought I was slowly going mad, I had my MC fitted 21 months ago as I can not use the pill due to horrendous migraines, and I already have 5 children. I spoke to the doc on several occasions about my options and this coil seemed the best choice for me, I was advised it would take 6 months to settle well that was not the case it took about 14 months, my periods were a lot lighter but no pattern to them, they can last a day or 3, then stop and start again without warning, I also have period pains and pmt with no bleeding! I have been trying to loose weight for over a year, I swim 4 times a week and have cut our surgery foods and carb and a glass or 2 of wine and have lost nothing and some days put on weight!! Extremely frustrating!! After reading this thread and seeing other symptoms I have nearly all of them, weight gain, very moody (my poor kids!!) depressed, hair constantly falling out (which I blamed on my thyroid as I had a lump growing on it, I had the left lobe removed in jan 14 and hair still falling out!) acne, bleary eyes etc
I am having it removed tomorrow so fingers crossed I don't experience to many of the after effects, but do think I will be so much happier once it is out of me! I will not be putting any more hormones in to my body they really don't suit me!! My husband is very supportive of my decision, he likes me better when I am pill and coil free!!! It hasn't effected my sex drive, and unlike the pill I have not suffered from anxiety and paranoia or migraines/headaches.

bee4ilph Sat 17-May-14 20:40:06

Had my MC removed 3 days ago. Had it in for 7 months because of heavy periods. Did it work? Yes and No... Bleeding was much lighter but I was bleeding for 3 weeks out of 4. I gained weight, I was severely depressed and had no libido whatsoever,but worst of all: I have Addisons disease and I'm also hypo thyroid. Since having the MC my other conditions have become more and more difficult to manage. None of my drugs which I had been taking for the last 12 years seemed to work for me anymore. My blood pressure is all over the shop and I've had to give up work for the time being as I am totally unable to function. And then a couple of weeks ago I started having problems with my heart. An echo scan showed "diastolic dysfunction". I've been keeping a diary since the day I had that bloody coil fitted and there is no doubt in my mind that I have steadily deteriorated ever since.

Well, it's out. I've been bleeding a bit since then but I have felt a lot less anxious already. My boobs have been a little sore since yesterday and I have had a mild headache since I woke up this morning. Feels a bit like the period headaches I used to get. I'm guessing it's going to take a while for the synthetic progesterone to to disappear out of my system.

roddel84 Fri 16-May-14 07:20:52

Do you feel any better a week or 2 on?

roddel84 Fri 16-May-14 07:19:28

I get married in September this year and we was going to try for baby number 2 more or less straight away. I'm a bit worries now to have the coil removed as we go away the day after the wedding. It would have been great to get caught after on the "honey moon" but I'm dubious now as I don't want all this trouble for my wedding or holiday.
Also the wires that are meant to be felt haven't been there since day one although a scan shows the coil is still in place. I'm a bit worries how they are going to remve it? :-/ is it a local and a bit of surgery or down to bare basics and gonna be seriously uncomfortable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now