Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why don't the British like putting things up their bottoms?

(119 Posts)
DuffyFluckling Mon 27-Apr-09 17:34:19

I have paracetamol suppositories for my children. I think I prefer them to paracetamol suspension syrups. No sugar or sweetner or horrid pink colour. No stickiness. No throwing up and wondering whether to give another dose or wait 4 hours. No struggling children who don't like the taste and don't want to take it.

There seem to be many advantages, and suppositories are commonly used in many countries, but not in UK. Why is this?

MadamAnt Mon 27-Apr-09 17:36:00

I have to say that I would feel a little bit odd sticking a pill up my child's bottom. I don't know why. Guess it's just a familiarity thing?

McDreamy Mon 27-Apr-09 17:36:01

It is a British thing. I have worked with lots of European do doctors and they are generally amazed at how little we use them. FWIW though paracetamol supps for children are very very expensive! They are about £25 a box shock

pookamoo Mon 27-Apr-09 17:36:03

Don't you have struggling children who don't like having suppositories poked up their bottom?

I think we don't like it because it's a bit uncomfortable.

MmeLindt Mon 27-Apr-09 17:37:02

I was thinking about this the other day when MP posted about the price of paracetamol suppositories in UK. I was shocked to see that they are 10x the price of the exact same product in Germany.

I have to say that a paediatric nurse once advised using syrups instead of suppositories as the temperature drops is more gentle. This was in Germany where suppository use is very widespread.

MadamAnt Mon 27-Apr-09 17:37:16

And don't the kids object to suppositories? I'd be amazed if my kids took it lying down, so to speak.

AlistairSim Mon 27-Apr-09 17:38:02

Are there countries where people actively enjoy having things put up their bottoms?

MmeLindt Mon 27-Apr-09 17:38:11

They are only about eu2 a box in Germany.

ramonaquimby Mon 27-Apr-09 17:39:13

is fairly degrading to have something stuck up your bum I suppose. At any age. I can never imagine that I would have liked it as a child, nor can I imagine that I'd want to do it to my kids. But then I have the healthiest kids in the world (honest!)

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 27-Apr-09 17:39:38

surely if they had the trots you would still worry if it came out at all? im a bit dim though .......

MmeLindt Mon 27-Apr-09 17:40:32

I used suppositories when the DC were babies. Once they were old enough to understand that the medicine will help them feel better I switched to Calpol. They will not take the German paracetamol syrup as it tastes vile.

It was much easier to administer than syrup, you just hold their legs tight and pop it in. Not any worse than taking their temperature.

My DS1 had a supository after an operation to help with the pain, he was awake when they put it in and a year later we were in the samehospital with the same nurse and he recognised her he said 'mummy thats L she put mini (medicine) in my bum!) grin he always reminds her everytime were at the hospital.

DuffyFluckling Mon 27-Apr-09 17:42:07

They're not that bothered really. My children are both young still. It's just medicine - not especially enjoyable, but no worse than yucky tasting syrup. My 1 year old doesn't really notice I don't think.

DuffyFluckling Mon 27-Apr-09 17:45:29

"degrading to have something stuck up your bum I suppose" shock do you really think this??

I am shocked.

How can a mother looking after her sick child be degrading the child? Is it degrading to wipe your child's bottom? Or put cream on it?

Not offended, but amazed anyone could think this.

littlelamb Mon 27-Apr-09 17:49:26

I have to say I was pretty horrified by the idea of suppositories until I actually had to have one. I was in real difficulty with a bad tonsil infection and finding it difficult to breathe, swallowing tablets would have been impossible. When the nurse said I would need a suppository I actually starte dto cry (and god, was that painful shock) but actually, it doesn't hurt and my throat was in such a state that there was no other option. I think it is just not what we are used to. I almost wish they were more common tbh, ds has foul tasting antibiotics right now which he refuses to swallow. Might be a bit easier to shove them up hs bum wink

Littlefish Mon 27-Apr-09 17:50:19

I used them with my dd when she was little, and refused to take calpol inspite of raging ear infections. She looked a bit surprised when they went in, but didn't seem particularly worried by it [smnile].

Very common to use suppositories here in Italy, especially for children. But then we also have bidets wink

OrmIrian Mon 27-Apr-09 17:52:04

"No struggling children who don't like the taste and don't want to take it.
"

They don't struggle when you stuff things up their bum? hmm

littlelamb Mon 27-Apr-09 17:53:00

Orm, suppositories are tiny about the size of this wink wink in fact

OrmIrian Mon 27-Apr-09 17:53:56

Ohhh.. I see. I thought they'd be like tampons for some reason.

littlelamb Mon 27-Apr-09 17:54:23

I did too! That's why I cried wink

bronze Mon 27-Apr-09 17:55:16

To me the mouth is a natural place to put something that is entering the body, the bottom isnt <avoids bumsex threads>

I would hate it for me so I wouldnt do it for my children

ramonaquimby Mon 27-Apr-09 17:56:38

duffy - my kids are NEVER sick, none have had antibiotics, or seen the doctor, or had cough meds or paracetamol. nothing. Am very lucky, we are lucky. I suppose if they were sick and had to take meds to sort things out I might think differently - but it's our experiences that shape us, and these are mine. no problem with wiping or cream. but those days are pretty much behind me now.....

BalloonSlayer Mon 27-Apr-09 17:58:17

but don't you have to use your finger to shove them up a bit further?

or do they come with an applicator?

I do recall having suppositories to make me "go" before a minor op a good few years ago. The feeling of the nurses gloved finger helping them up where the sun don't shine has stayed with me, and not in a good way. [wince emoticon]

BlaDeBla Mon 27-Apr-09 17:58:37

I think suppositories are fantastic. I think we have some pretty strange ideas in this country not to use them. They are tiny and very easy to insert, and best of all, they work, without having a disgusting sticky child spitting it all out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now