Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena Coil - love it or hate it?

(81 Posts)
JiminyCricket Fri 27-Feb-09 22:41:32

I need to go for a coil fitting. Have had copper coil before and was happy with it (GP had problem fitting Mirena coil that time so went for other one). GP now recommending Mirena. I am kind of interested but wonder if I should stick with what i know I am Ok with, as have a low tolerance of side effects etc. And, on a more curious note, if coil has a good effectiveness anyway, why stick hormones in it as well? Any experiences? smile

mummy6 Thu 30-Apr-09 16:12:19

I HAD MERENA FITTED 11 WEEKS AGO THOUGHT IT WAS FINE THEN THE BLOATED STOMACH STARTED I NOW LOOK 5 MONTHS PREGNANT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING WEIGHT WATCHERS DIET AND HAVE LOST WEIGHT EVERYWHERE ELSE MY STOMACH CONTINUES TO BLOAT. WENT BACK TO DOCTORS SHE SAID THIS WAS A COMMON SIDE AFFECT DUE TO OESTROGEN HORMONE IN COIL AND BEING IN WOMB IT IS ALL CENTRED AROUND STOMACH AREA. SHE SAID IT MIGHT CALM DOWN AFTER A FEW MORE MONTHS. I AM QUITE DEPRESSED ABOUT THIS SHE SAID SHE WOULD TAKE IT OUT NEXT WEEK IF I WANTED HER TO. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HAS IT SETTLED DOWN EVENTUALLY.

rumor Thu 30-Apr-09 19:15:52

hi,im new 2 this so pls be patient with me lol,i had the mirena coil fitted 18months ago and after some bleeding my periods stopped ,,but last week i started spotting and again 2day is this normal?im also having tummy pains and hot flushes and my mood swings are vile lol hope someone can help

PlumHarrison Sun 03-May-09 09:03:01

Had the mirena coil fitted about 8 weeks for heavy periods and I am hating every minute of it. I haven't stopped bleeding, I feel bloated and am almost passing out with the pain if I try to do anything too energetic (I cleaned the car!). My GP keeps telling me it will 'settle' down but I am going to beg her to remove it next week as I can't cope with this anymore!!!! I want a hysterectomy!

FatGirlThin Sun 03-May-09 09:07:53

Love it. Had it fitted about three years ago. I don't get periods apart from maybe one day of bleeding every 3 months. I do still get the monthly mood swings but much less severely. I am much, much happier with it than the pill. Oh and I'm not pregnant grin

ElenorRigby Sun 03-May-09 12:27:02

Hmm my mirena has just came out, gave DP and I a real scare as we could not cope with another pregnancy.
Funny enough I lost weight after DD was born. Then after the Mirena was fitted I gained and need to loose a couple of stone now.
Maybe time for a rethink about what to use...

verylapsedrunner Mon 04-May-09 09:12:44

Love it

expatinscotland Mon 04-May-09 09:46:18

If you were pleased with your copper coil, and not experiencing problems, then why fix what isn't broken?

expatinscotland Mon 04-May-09 09:52:43

'THIS WAS A COMMON SIDE AFFECT DUE TO OESTROGEN HORMONE IN COIL AND BEING IN WOMB IT IS ALL CENTRED AROUND STOMACH AREA. '

There's no oestrogen in the Mirena.

lalalonglegs Mon 04-May-09 10:43:38

I think it is brilliant. Had mine fitted about three months ago - no weight gain/mood swings/bloating but then I didn't have any of these within my normal cycle. Perhaps if you suffer from these anyway, it will exacerbate them but, based on my experience, I would recommend it.

woodenchair Mon 04-May-09 10:49:36

loved it and hated it.

loved no periods

hated being a psychopath for 3 weeks a month

AbricotsSecs Mon 04-May-09 10:59:28

It seems to be a marmite-tastic lottery of love or hate with the Mirena! I considered it, then thought: why risk it.

I would stick with the devil you know copper coil. I love mine

bramblebooks Mon 04-May-09 11:40:02

love mine!

MiserableMotherFlunker Mon 04-May-09 19:14:48

Anyone else noticed period type bleeds after sex with a Mirena? I have them for about a day each time - it looks like old blood (sorry if TMI!!). blush

MiserableMotherFlunker Mon 04-May-09 19:16:16

Obviously I don;t have sex with the Mirena itself - just DH grin.

boowhoo Wed 05-Aug-09 14:38:19

i love it best thing i have ever done i had it fitted over a year ago now i use to have really heavy bleedin now i dont at all i was havin a period ever 2/3 weeks before havin it fitted but worried as of last oct i have not be able to feel it but cant get it cheacked till oct?

runnermama Mon 24-Aug-09 13:44:04

Absolutely hate it: low mood, spots, pain, bleeding 3 weeks out of every 4(fitted 6 months ago). Having hysteroscopy wed as doc unable to remove in clinic..can't wait to get back to my usual self!!grin Just hope all goes smoothly wed. Have 3 DDs and liked idea of not worrying about contraception but mirena has been major hassle from day one for me unfortunately.

expatinscotland Mon 24-Aug-09 13:46:12

HATED it. never stopped bleeding for 10 months, no libido, mood swings off the charts, spots from hell.

better the devil you know if the copper one is working for you.

Kathrina Mon 24-Aug-09 14:08:30

I loved it until of May this yr it came away. After nearly 3 yrs of having it in. My periods were light and it really suited me.

runnermama Mon 24-Aug-09 15:17:53

expat-did you feel human again soon after removal?

susall Mon 24-Aug-09 18:52:37

HATE IT!!! Mine is coming out wed and I cant wait. Im sensitive to hormones and have had loads of side effects. The inabillity to lose weight is the most annoying but it was the suicidal thoughts that made me go to the dr and ask for it to be removed.

expatinscotland Mon 24-Aug-09 18:54:04

I was back to my old self in about 3 weeks after removal.

runnermama Mon 24-Aug-09 20:21:48

Susall good luck for wed..we should both be free of it wed night. Hurray!!

susall Mon 24-Aug-09 22:12:43

Heres hoping!!! They had problems putting it in so I am sure that its gonna be hard to remove and I will be like you and have to go to clinic or hospital to get it removed. It always happens to me if I really want something to happen it all goes wrong - sods law and all that. Good luck for your removal and heres hoping we get back to feeling human again xxx

marina46 Wed 26-Aug-09 09:47:09

Hey, i have a copper coil and although periods are heavy they only last for about 4 days max.

Cant have a mirena due to family history so am on second copper coil in 10 years.

Its very liberating being happy with your contraception so if the copper coil feels ok then id stick with it and not risk having a hard time with the Mirena and going back to the copper. Good luck wink

weegiemum Wed 26-Aug-09 09:49:19

I loved it ....

Until I got pregnant with it!

(had been pulled into my cervix after a smear.....)

Then dh got snipped, so no need any more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now