Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lucky Iron Fish - alternative to tablets for anaemia?

(15 Posts)
Breadandwine Sun 17-Apr-16 01:05:04

I've been diagnosed with mild anaemia - so I'm on a course of iron tablets. I've always been on the low end of the scale - when I used to give blood, quite often I'd be turned away when my sample refused to sink! sad

Obviously I need to increase my iron intake when I finish the course - so I did a bit of searching online and came across this!

Seems to be the answer to my problem - and anyone else in a similar position.

I like the ethos behind the firm that produces these. There's a BOGOF offer - buy one give one away free. smile For every fish sold, they'll give another one to a family that needs one.

I sent away for one which is now sitting on my worktop waiting until I've finished the course before I can begin using it - obviously, if I were to start using it now, I'd be getting too much iron! confused

BertrandRussell Sun 17-Apr-16 14:37:24

Have you considered getting married? I hear that being called Mrs is extremely therapeutic!

BertrandRussell Sun 17-Apr-16 15:24:52

But seriously- that seems amazing. I wonder if you can taste the iron?

Breadandwine Sun 17-Apr-16 15:51:20

I've yet to find out, but it looks promising!

Hope you've cut and pasted your first post in the right thread! grin

BertrandRussell Sun 17-Apr-16 15:56:45

It is in the right thread- I was just being a smart arse.....

RandomMess Sun 17-Apr-16 16:10:31

That Iron Fish thing looks bizarre but great?

Can't see me converting DH though.

In the meantime spatone and floradix work more quickly & better than the tablets.

mangocoveredlamb Sun 17-Apr-16 19:09:51

I'm going to order one, I've got anemia and am pregnant and do not want to take anything else that will bung me up!!

WellThankYouAJPTaylor Sun 17-Apr-16 19:13:51

I remember reading an article about this and thought it sounded great, so thanks for this, I didn't know they could be bought. I'll surely get one just as soon as I can justify the cost.

Breadandwine Sun 17-Apr-16 19:42:33

It is in the right thread- I was just being a smart arse.....

Oh, I see! LOL! [thick]

grin

Breadandwine Mon 18-Apr-16 13:30:41

Bump for a fresh audience - perhaps! smile

Breadandwine Mon 12-Sep-16 16:09:56

Update:

I started using the Lucky Iron Fish middle of July - I couldn't start it until I finished my course of iron tablets, of course. When I've been using it for 3 months, I'll have another blood test - so, middle of October.

I drink about a litre of water a day - I just boil it with the fish and a squeeze of lemon juice for 10 minutes, then bottle it when cool. I start off with water in the morning, then I have some with my lunch. I used to have apple juice (for the Vit C) when I ate, to facilitate the iron uptake, but I don't need it with the iron water, so I'll recoup the cost eventually by not buying any juice.

I'm gradually finding new ways to use the iron water - I have a glass of ginger beer as a pre-dinner drink, but I find it too sweet, so I dilute it with the water (water shandy! wink).And I've just started using it to make my ice cubes.

I always simmer my veg stew/lentil stew or whatever I'm having, with the fish in there for 10 minutes or so.

Looking forward to my blood test - that'll be the moment of truth! smile

Breadandwine Mon 12-Sep-16 16:11:22

I wonder if you can taste the iron?

There's no taste of iron, I should have said.

Breadandwine Fri 18-Nov-16 23:18:27

My apologies, I'm late back to this thread.

I had a follow up blood test a couple of weeks ago - and got exactly the same result as the test following my course of iron tablets.

So, last July, iron level 138 - after 3+ months with the Lucky Iron Fish, 138.

Haven't been back to the docs, yet, but I will do next week to see what he says.

But I have to say I'm very happy. It's a bit of a faff and takes a bit of organisation, but it's worth it not to be on iron tablets! smile

WiMoChi Sat 19-Nov-16 19:20:00

Use an iron pan or pot. Will do the same thibg

Breadandwine Sun 20-Nov-16 18:41:50

It may well do - trouble is, most iron pots available are enamelled, and, for my drinking water, I'd have to clean the pot daily, when, as it is, I have my veg stew in a saucepan for days at a time, refreshing and titivating.

This is far more convenient.

Came across this:

thekitchenprofessor.com/blog/enameled-cast-iron-vs-cast-iron/

On balance, I think I'll stick to my Lucky Iron Fish! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now