Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fast heartbeat for nearly 6 hours...how can I slow it down? Should I be worried?

(33 Posts)

This happens sometimes, it usually goes within half an hour.

I have generally low blood pressure and a low resting heart rate of about 60. Today at the end of DDs swimming lesson I stood up and suddenly felt it speed up. It's been at around 100 since then. Feels a bit weird.

It was very hot in there, I had been rushing around and the kids were being a bit annoying, but I wouldn't say I was overly stressed. Certainly I have been at that stress level many times without this happening! I had eaten fairly recently so not low blood sugar. Haven't had enough sleep this week though (staying up late mainly, not insomnia).

I've been sitting on the sofa

Baffledandbewildered Thu 28-Feb-13 22:58:41

No beta blockers here as I have brittle asthma . But the ablation was a great help

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 28-Feb-13 23:12:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fakeblondie that's really interesting - just googled hyperthyroidism and quite a few of the symptoms fit. Googling is fatal though, isn't it?! Weird though as I absolutely cannot let my stomach get too empty as that gives me gastritis pain - I eat all the bloody time! Still very thin though, although I haven't lost any weight I don't think.

Need to stop second guessing this, don't I? Just feel like the GP's going to think I'm chucking yet another thing at him on top of all the stomach/gallstone stuff. He's very nice though. Sigh.

Also I have had my thyroid tested twice before and both times (with different doctors) they were convinced that's what it was and it wasn't. Aaaagh!

Charlie01234 Fri 01-Mar-13 08:02:09

Hi Bilbo - I have found beta blockers fine actually. Slight side effects such as pins and needles and numb fingers in cold, vivid dreams where I 'see' things in the night! A good side effect has been a dramatic decrease in migraines attacks too so worth it just for that. Blood pressure is now very low so have to get it checked regularly but worth it for the lack of thumps and bumps of my heart!!

Bilbobagginstummy Fri 01-Mar-13 08:17:12

Thanks, both Charlie and lisa - hmm... tricky.

digerd Fri 01-Mar-13 08:48:50

I lost weight, but didn't think anything of it as was always small. Then i decided to weigh myself and I had lost half a stone. After that other symptoms started including being ravenous and not stopping eating high calory foods, but continued to lose another stone. I became very nervy and my hands shook. My heart was racing and pounding and got skipped heart beats, fast ones , they were all over the place. I felt hot and sweated loads.

Not until my Thyroid swelled up and my eyes bulged did GP know that i had an Overactive Thyroid gland.GP said it developes over years and not overnight, but a traumatic event sent it off on one, as they say.

marceline Fri 01-Mar-13 10:49:25

Hi IHeart, not sure if this might be helpful. My husband experienced similar symptoms as yourself for several months. He was having gastric reflux and at times nausea, but also had several scary episodes of tachycardia - at one point we called the ambulance and he went to hospital in the middle of the night thinking he was having a heart attack. He had numerous tests, his heart was completely healthy. In the end the GP realised his symptoms were caused by an H pylori bacterial infection in his stomach. He was treated for this and all his symptoms vanished. Strangely sometimes the symptoms of this infection appear to be similar to heart problems.

Hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now