Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Possible allergy to acupuncture needles - any thoughts?

(4 Posts)
ILoveMyCats Thu 21-Feb-13 21:05:12

Has anyone else who's had acupuncture had redness around the needle sites the day after? They look like small insect bites - raised and hard to the touch, but not itchy. I think I may be allergic to the metal of the needle, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this.

debinaboat Fri 22-Feb-13 21:12:03

How strange you should post about this.
I have just been told this week that I can't have acupuncture because of my allergy to certain metals. Allergy to nickel/white metals is quite common.but I would have thought you would have had symptoms of a metal allergy before now since its quite hard to avoid contact with metal ,lots of things you come into contact with daily ie money ,jeans studs,bra fasteners etc could be a problem.
Maybe it's an infection or something .

awaywego1 Sat 23-Feb-13 00:25:55

I had it too-like little red welts. No known metal allergy. Annoying tho and did put me off going again.

tabbycat15 Sat 23-Feb-13 01:36:11

I had acupuncture on my knee by a physio, it was really painful & I had blood running down my leg when she took our the needles, For a few days after I had red dots where the needles went it. Think it's just trauma to the skin. She turned the needles & twanged' them whilst still in & that really hurt. It didn't help my knee at all & it was really painful. I never went back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now