Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I had flu 6 weeks ago, can I still have the virus in my system?

(8 Posts)
alabasterangel Sun 10-Feb-13 14:20:01

Between Xmas and new year I had what I believe to be flu (I know and understand the difference between flu and a cold, and this was worse than a cold. Bedridden for over 24 hours, temp, fever, sore throat, shivers, nausea, and it came on suddenly, not like a cold which for me normally seems to start with a sore throat for a day or so). It took me over a week to have any sort of energy back and for even longer than that I had horrible aches, most particularly my eyes.

Now 6 weeks later and for the past week I feel like some part of this flu thing is resurfacing. I've had headaches again, cold extremities (hands are permanently cold!), shivery prickly skin, occasional shooting pains in muscles, and today the aching eyes are back with a vengeance. This is nothing like the flu in that I don't feel 'ill' - but I do have these intermittent symptoms. Sometimes I wake up feeling all the symptoms but within an hour or two I feel okay, other days they start during the day, sometimes all the symptoms, sometimes just one or two. For the first couple of days I thought I was coming down with something and expected to start with a cold or whatever, but it's just stayed like this for a week now, no better, no worse, but coming and going.

I'll call the dr tomorrow (it's gone on long enough!) but will be unlikely to get an appt before Tuesday or weds. Just wondered if its possible for some part of the flu to still be rumbling around, or if anyone has experienced similar? I'm confused, and the aching eyes are really annoying!

Piffpaffpoff Sun 10-Feb-13 22:19:43

I don't have an answer but I'm marking my spot in case someone comes along who does. DH has been in a never-endingcycle of this since November, he's had three or four short bouts of what you describe and is not yet back to normal. I'm getting a bit worried about him tbh. He's off to the doctor again this week hopefully to be a bit more forceful about getting blood tests done.

shitmagnet Mon 11-Feb-13 01:15:28

It is probably a different strain, as your body would have antibodies to the old one by now. Your body is fighting many viruses all the time, and keeping them in check, hence you will not always have full-blown symptoms. Your mucus membranes are susceptible to infection for 6 weeks after an illness. Try to rest as much as you can, and drink lots of water to support your body ridding the germs (e.g. through mucus). Betadine throat gargle is unreal if you feel a nasty throat coming on. Try to avoid enclosed public places and wash your hands as soon as you come in. Hope you get on top of it soon!

shitmagnet Mon 11-Feb-13 01:16:37

If you have an illness that hangs around (e.g. weeks) you could have a secondary bacterial infection which may need ABs. In any case you should deffo see the GP.

mentallyscrewed Mon 11-Feb-13 03:28:03

I had the exact same, been ill since mid December with sore throat symptoms which came and went in waves but by mid jan it evolved into full blown flu (I even had the flu injection so probably had it "mild"!!) - was really poorly for about 2 weeks with all the symptoms you describe - raging fever, headache, cough, nausea, aches, shivers, tiredness, no strength and then no energy and exhausted for another week or so. Went to the doctors last week because I was still quite blocked up/snotty/chesty and was told I had a secondary infection of sinusitis and chest infection so given antib's.
still have a chesty cough and even a bit of an ear ache tonight but am finally feeling much better.

alabasterangel Mon 11-Feb-13 09:30:32

Thank you all.

I'm calling the dr shortly. Unfortunately my GP is a rather dissinterested individual (I really ought to change to another, but we see her that rarely I keep putting it off!) but I will go as I'm no better.

It 'feels' viral but that suggestion from shitmagnet about it being a secondary infection does make some sense. Surely viral symptoms would be reasonably consistent? This fluctuates so much which maybe an infection would do more? Yesterday for a large chunk of the day I felt reasonably normal, but today I feel rough again. Normally on a Monday (my day off work) I would come back from the school run, scoot through the chores, go out to softplay or whatever with little DS. Today I can't be arsed to do a thing other than sit. My eyes are aching again (feels like I want to keep them squinty shut), I feel achy and creaky, I feel deaf in one ear, my head aches if I cough or clear my throat (I don't have a cough though). I do feel like I have some rubbish running down the back of my throat, but I've had problems with my sinuses before and I don't have sinus facial pain, sound congested or a runny nose so I would find it weird if it was a sinus infection.

I just feel 'off' - really like (as my Mum would say) like i'm 'sickening for something' and certainly feel like my body is fighting something. I feel like if someone would bump into me it would hurt.

I will report back, thanks for your help.

alabasterangel Mon 18-Feb-13 20:21:13

Hi. Update.

Another week on and I'm still ill. I went to the gp, she ordered a full blood picture which would detect (amongst other stuff) an infection (white cells). All came back clear. I'm going to see her again tomorrow, because its silly....

- still shivery, goosebumps, aches, eyes aching, overwhelming tiredness, freezing cold extremities
- take painkillers (para or ibu) and it goes, but when I don't, I feel awful. I'm still shattered when I'm dosed up but at least the shivering and everything goes.
- no sore throat, cough, but heavy head and odd thumpy headaches
- no appetite whatsoever
- struggling to function as I'm dragging myself about, feel just like I am on the brink of the flu or a tremendous cold, but no sore throat and felt exactly the same for 2 weeks now
- cant sleep for feeling freezing, wake up sweating, heart racing, head stuffed up.
- on waking and getting out of bed for 10 mins I feel much better, but after an hour or so with no painkillers all the shivery shaky achy stuff starts again.

No symptoms of a sinus problem (am prone to them) no facial pain, tooth pain, but I do have a stuffed up head in the morning and when I blow its nasty green. Can't smell a thing.

No other problems I can possibly pinpoint it to, I have a jippy lower wisdom tooth that's due for removal soon, but no toothache or pain there.

No clue. Anyone got any bright ideas? Well be seeing gp tomorrow just wondered if anyone had any suggestions in the meantime.....

narmada Tue 19-Feb-13 19:24:55

Aching and swollen eyes with viral type symptoms can be associated with glandular fever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now