Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Laser surgery on bladder - good or bad?

(3 Posts)
odeaclan Thu 07-Feb-13 14:04:05

Hi folks, my history is that I have problems voiding, scarred urethra & lots of pelvic pain especially at night along with continence probs. Had scans, urodynamics, cytoscope & dilitation. When they tried to widen the bladder it started bleeding which they say is diagnostic of IC (interstitial cystitis). I have failed all meds so far given to me such as overactive bladder tabs, anti-imm, anti-depressants, painkillers & anti spasmodics. Either they don't work or I get side effects from the meds, so the latest suggestion is either laser surgery or 6 injections directly into the bladder.

I have concerns though as both methods seem to report only short term relief from what I can see online. I didn't fancy the injections in an already sore bladder & some folks say the botox used can create more problems voiding so opted for surgery. But now I'm reading there could be risks as the laser can cause more scarring & create problems of its own. Sooo, I figured the best way is to ask folks who have been through it whether a. they felt relief? b. how long did it last or did symptoms return shortly after? & c. were there any complications?

If anyone has been through it would be reassuring to hear from others smile

Thanks guys & all the best..

digerd Thu 07-Feb-13 20:17:44

I know only of my sister who was diagnosed with a too small bladder < born with it> and she had the op to stretch it and changed her life, at 65.

FrustratedNovelist Sun 10-Feb-13 10:39:19

Have PMd you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now