Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

heavy, prolonged periods

(14 Posts)

It is awful and I sympathise. If you are researching you should also look at an endometrial ablation. I had one done a year ago for heavy periods. Although I am one of the few it hasn't worked for it does seem to be a massive help for others with heavy periods.

Thanks for the evening primrose tip. I am having a hysterectomy next week but leaving my ovaries so going to try this.

meddie Wed 06-Feb-13 16:49:32

You can also buy over the counter tranexamic acid. which helps reduce bleeding.
Fibroids are the most common reason and depending on where they are can alter the treatment.
Lots of women have success with the mirena coil, but its not suitable if you have intramural fibroids (ones within the uterine wall that distort the internal cavity of the uterus) as placement is difficult, and you need someone who has experience with placing it in these circumstances.
You need your scan results and blood test results first before your doc can sort out further treatment.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 06-Feb-13 14:53:33

Agre that you need further investigation but it seems like you are having further test anyway.

I was very much like the but also had pjs in the mix too. I've had the mirena fitted, still have periods and some mood swings, but they are much more manageable. Only use panty liners and only for 3 or 4 days.

steppemum Wed 06-Feb-13 14:47:51

I have always had these sort of heavy periods and they are a nightmare.

before I had kids I went on the pill. That really helped (not POP though, I get constant breakthrough bleeding on that) But I find the pill makes me feel constantly a bit flat, and I put weight on.

After kids it was much worse, as bad as you describe and in the end I had the Mirena coil fitted. It has totally solved the problem and is a life saver.

I did have all the referrals and there wasn't anything, just my body, so they offered the pill.

SpanishFly

I would be insisting most strongly to the GP that you are referred to a gynaecologist asap.

Many GPs are not up to speed at all when it comes to such issues; I had one GP tell me that endometriosis is not common. I replied that it is the second most common gynae problem seen in women after fibroids. Such ignorance like this GP trotted out is damaging.

Both fibroids and endometriosis can cause heavy bleeding to arise. Giving you tablets is only treating the symptoms and does nothing to address the actual cause.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Wed 06-Feb-13 13:20:40

You need to go back and ask for an ultrasound. You need to find out why you're bleeding so much as it will give you a better idea on how it can be treated. Fibroids cause crazy bleeding. Ask for a gynae referral, you don't have to put up with this.

SpanishFly Wed 06-Feb-13 13:17:51

thanks for the lovely comments.

I had previously been taking an iron liquid supplement, as I have been anaemic regularly in the past, and can tell when i'm needing stocked up again. But I had stopped taking it a week or so ago, so that blood tests would be realistic, if taken - but it's another 12 days till I have blood tests, so i'm not sure whether to take it again or wait til after then.

I was told to return to the GP once my blood test results were back, and I had already decided to see a different doctor, just to see if they suggested anything different - as I too was slightly irked by her "meh" attitude. It's not that she wasnt interested or concerned, but very dismissive of the mood swings thing, as if it was just one of the things women should put up with. Fine, if it's irritability, but I told her that when I feel like this, I keep snapping at my kids, which I think is beyond what should be expected.

I remember previously having a 3-week period, and was told by a different GP that it was likely hormonal, and was put on norethisterone for three months, and it made all the difference, so i'm a bit confused as to why I can't try something similar again, rather than going onto a POP permanently (esp given that there are risks/side effects with doing that).

I'm going shopping after work, so i'll be buying evening primrose oil caps to give them a go, and i'll have a proper look at agnus castus online later - I'm sure i've read in the past that it can cause really bad headaches. But I guess it's worth trying - if I get headaches with it, i can stop taking it.

Releasethehounds, hopefully your next period is more manageable, and it's all been worthwhile. Like you, I'm hoping to try out various solutions before a hysterectomy. tbh, I'd LOVE to get rid of periods altogether, but it's such a major procedure for women sad

releasethehounds Tue 05-Feb-13 21:47:10

Sorry you're going through this - I've had the same problem over the last couple of years. It really starts to take over your life and you're scared to go out some days. I tried a number of things (none of which worked) - various pills to reduce blood flow and the depo injection which made my periods last much longer. Eventually I had an op at Christmas where they did a resection of a large fibroid which was protruding into my womb and may have been causing the problem.

I'm now waiting to start my first period since the op - I know I'm due because I'm getting the signs! I'm just hoping that it will now be much lighter than before, because if the op hasn't worked, the only solution for me will be a hysterectomy.

Am shocked at your GP's attitude - as I said, this is a problem which can take over your life. It can also make you severely anaemic - I have been taking iron tablets for months now and have just had another prescription for several boxes more.

You may find the scan will give you the answer, but be pushy with your GP and insist on a referral to a consultant - you can't live like this! Good luck.

Pocketmonster Tue 05-Feb-13 21:45:59

I have the same problem (not the 9 days but 2 really really heavy days, where I use a superplus tampon and a pad and have to change them every 45 mins). My doc suggested I took ibuprofen from the day you begin your period, take them every 4 hours (or whatever the directions are) and this will reduce the flow. If I remember to do this, it really does work. Obviously some people can't take ibuprofen (asthmatics for one) so check with your doc perhaps?

I also take agnus castus which is herbal supplement and that helps me with the general discomfort and moodiness.

MagicBaguette Tue 05-Feb-13 21:35:39

I just realised I wasn't very clear then - if you start taking it during the days while you are feeling bad then it won't work immediately. But it will have an effect by the next month!

MagicBaguette Tue 05-Feb-13 21:34:38

You take it every day, and I think it works pretty much immediately but the effect does build up over time iyswim.

You can buy it in supermarkets and Pharmacies.

It's been a lifesaver for me - I do hope it helps you!

SpanishFly Tue 05-Feb-13 20:47:00

Ah interesting, thanks. I've never tried it but I'll give that a go. How long did it take to have any effect?

MagicBaguette Tue 05-Feb-13 19:37:25

Do you take Evening Primrose Oil?

This has had a massive positive effect on my mood swings.

SpanishFly Tue 05-Feb-13 14:30:00

I visited the doctor after having a couple of years of hellish periods - the first 24-48 hrs I have to literally change pad and tampon every 30-40mins, and cannot leave the house, in case of "having an accident" and needing to change clothes.
In addition to this, my last period lasted 9 days (2 hellish, the rest very manageable, but still - 9 days).
I have also been having more severe moodswings/irrational snapping at people for the past 6 months - usually at/just before ovulation time, as opposed to PMT. I am therefore pretty sure the whole thing is linked to a hormone imbalance.
Anyway, the GP didnt seem overly helpful, sort of shrugging at the mood-swings part, saying most people have that at some time of the month.

She said I could take medication which reduces bloodflow, but that wouldnt address the hormones. She have me a prescription for a progesterone-only pill to try, but last time i tried a POP I ended up having a three-month-long period, so gave up on it!

Can anyone suggest anything to help with a hormone imbalance...? Please...?

(PS I have also been referred for a scan, to see if it's fibroids, and I am having blood tests in 2 weeks, to check for anaemia and thyroid function)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now