Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd seems to have brought on a fit or somethign by hyperventilating

(9 Posts)
youfhearted Tue 05-Feb-13 13:42:25

thanks, lougle, her sister is her witness, (aged 12) but her eyes apparently were not rolling. so yes it sounds like muscle twitching.will make an appt just to be safe, as i said it happened monday evening but i was not told until tuesday evening.

lougle Tue 05-Feb-13 13:38:34

It's probably muscle twitching rather than a fit, especially if it was her hands and feet. The overbreathing causes the carbon dioxide levels to drop, which in turn increases the pH of the blood, reducing the level of free calcium available, which leads to muscle twitches (carpopedal spasm) link

Having said that, safe not sorry. Take her to the doctor and get her checked over.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 05-Feb-13 13:23:47

If she has never fitted before then yes, you need to get it checked out.

Leverette Tue 05-Feb-13 13:22:35

confused

digerd Tue 05-Feb-13 09:58:18

I collapsed unconscious after too high a dose of Codeine tablets < prescribed by the hospital>. My head felt all shook up, so must have banged it on something.
Managed to crawl into bed and then strange shaking started in my arms and legs, which lasted for an hour. It was very scary. Then I zonked out and slept and 8 hours.
The next day, I felt the bruising on one side of my head, so I had banged my head. But felt fine, so didn't bother to go to A&E.
The shaking was my body repairing the damage to nerves that had been damaged in the back of my neck,
Mine was not forceful enough to be called jerking, and amazingly it worked, with 8 hours sleep.
But I know a lady who died from falling and banging her head, a few hours later.

doctorhamster Tue 05-Feb-13 09:09:16

If she fell and banged her head and then had a fit yes she needs to see a doctor asap.

youfhearted Mon 04-Feb-13 18:51:47

i am not sure if it was hyperventilating or breath holding, if they are not the same.

youfhearted Mon 04-Feb-13 18:43:02

so does this need a visit to GP,
it happened last night,
she is a teen btw.

youfhearted Mon 04-Feb-13 18:42:25

well she fell after hyperventilating, the hyperventilting was intentional shock
banged her head and i am now told, that she went jerking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now