Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

chest infection - feeling dizzy and lightheaded

(6 Posts)
bluemintygel Sat 02-Feb-13 23:41:33

I'm on the mend from a chest infection and on antibiotics.

I'm still feeling completely exhausted, I'm also light-headed and dizzy when I try to do anything, and feel very slightly breathless.

Is this to be expected and how long until I feel better? I've never had a chest infection before so no idea.The house is falling apart, DH and DD are feeling neglected and I was hoping to go back to work on Monday confused

digerd Sun 03-Feb-13 08:59:01

Have you stopped coughing?

magso Sun 03-Feb-13 10:23:25

Well I would say you probably need to rest and are not well enough to go back to work.

digerd Sun 03-Feb-13 11:08:28

You must finish the course of Antibiotics first, and if still unwell, Gp should send you for a chest X-ray.
Hope you recover soon, but work tomorrow? Not if you are still feeling dizzy.

bluemintygel Sun 03-Feb-13 12:03:07

No I'm still coughing and still sound crackly but don't have temperature any more. I actually feel loads better than I did earlier in the week but still so tired and light-headed.
The GP gave me a form to go for a chest x-ray when my antibiotics have finished.
How long does it normally take to recover? I pretty fed up now as you can probably tell!

digerd Sun 03-Feb-13 12:25:36

I only know in my case, but as you had a high temperature that is very debilitating, and while you had it you should have taken to your bed and done nothing. If you are a busy mum and carried on as usual, you may take longer to recover.
The dizziness and light headedness is due to being really run-down, and you must pamper yourself and take it easy, if possible.
With a high temperature, normally the appetite goes - I once slept for 3 days, having a cup of tea every 4 hours, but none at night - just zonked out.
Of course, you will feel weak if this happened to you, and you have eaten very little.
Now your temperature is back to normal, you should improve in all aspects.

How long it will take depends on your individual ability to recover.
It would appear you have had a nasty flu bug.
A chesty cough in a fit adult often takes a month to get rid of.

It is the light headedness that is more concerning and you should not go to work next week..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now