Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dental insurance - which one?

(6 Posts)
RockinD Fri 01-Feb-13 18:42:45

I had Denplan through a private dentist, but had all sorts of problems with treatment. I completed a course of treatment and then tried to change dentists, but even though I had just completed a course of treatment, Denplan insisted that I go back to the dentist to get 'signed off as dentally fit'.

I wasn't prepared to do that because of how he had treated me and I finished up just leaving Denplan.

I now have another dentist and pay as I go.

Oreocrumbs Thu 31-Jan-13 22:35:38

We have denplan too. Have had no problems, and it has worked very well in my favour so far.

Not sure if ours is an insurance though - more of a plan, it is £50 pm for 3 adults, and that includes 6 monthy check ups and hygenist visits at a private dentist and any treatment needed.

In the last couple of years I have had 5 fillings! Numerous x rays and it is all included.

timidviper Thu 31-Jan-13 22:32:09

I'm on Denplan. The main problem with it is that it is not a traditional insurance, it is the dentist who, in effect, insures you. He/she sets the charge and gets money each month on the understanding that work will be done when needed. There is, apparently, a problem with some dentists not providing expensive work when needed as that reduces their profit.

I had an ongoing episode of horrid pain and my, then, dentist kept fobbing me off and finally claimed a tooth had to be extracted. When I went to a consultant he felt a lot of options had been used for their cost implications rather than best practice dentistry, an extraction is much cheaper than a root canal and crowning. After this I changed dentist and have had excellent service since.

PoppyWearer Thu 31-Jan-13 22:28:50

We did Denplan through DH's work and the refunds were very quick and the form easy to complete.

Southeastdweller Thu 31-Jan-13 22:20:12

I'm on Denplan and you can go anywhere. I've had a lot of treatment done and the insurance has been invaluable, plus they're quick paying.

ratflavouredjelly Thu 31-Jan-13 22:15:41

Does anyone use Denplan, Bupa, etc?
Or is it better to pay £X a month into a high interest savings account and use this as your dentist plan?

With denplan are you limited to one dentist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now