Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

3g amoxicillin a day??!

(10 Posts)
Abigail9580 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:42:51

The dose is within the range. Due to it being bronchial prob that's why it's a slightly higher end of the dose range. I had mastitis badly and got prescribed 1g 4 times a day. Made me feel rubbish, but not as rubbish as mastitis!!

digerd Tue 29-Jan-13 21:11:06

My cardiologist 2 years ago, told me that the need to have an AB before and after dental treatment does not apply anymore < they have changed their mind about the heart valve leakage risk>

topsi Tue 29-Jan-13 18:53:53

eeek that should bring on a lovely dose of thrush for you! Hope you feel better

Annie456 Tue 29-Jan-13 14:20:37

Great, thanks! Good to know about pregnancy if it does turn out to be the case. Will proceed with the rest of the course as normal.

delusionsofadequacy Mon 28-Jan-13 20:31:17

*pregnant even

delusionsofadequacy Mon 28-Jan-13 20:31:03

Amoxicillin is fine in pregnancy - it is one of the first choice antibiotics for pregant ladies.
1g three times a day is a big dose but not off the scale huge. You can give 2g three times a day intravenously in severe severe infections so apart from the annoying quantity of capsules you shouldn't worry.

1gglePiggle Sun 27-Jan-13 21:47:20

Usual max dose is 500mg three times a day for severe infections.
Dentists prescribe 3g to be taken before dental procedures to prevent endocarditis but that's just a one off dose.

BeaWheesht Sun 27-Jan-13 21:29:08

Ps I thought it was 250mg x 3/4 day or sometimes a higher dose if necessary but 4x seems large

BeaWheesht Sun 27-Jan-13 21:23:45

It does seem quite a high dose - could you call a doc / pharmacist to check?

Not sure re effects during pregnancy.

Annie456 Sun 27-Jan-13 21:14:08

Hi folks, I'm an expat living overseas and my dr just prescribed an 8 day course of 3x 1000mg amoxicillin for "big bronchitis"...I didn't think anything of it but MIL thinks its really excessive...any thoughts?

Also TTC atm so worried about possible effects of having that much antibiotic in my system if I am pg! again, thoughts?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now