Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Claiming expenses for travel to and from hospital

(12 Posts)
DomesticCEO Sun 27-Jan-13 21:32:31

Thank you Iwish x

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 27-Jan-13 21:10:08

Age Uk have a volunteer scheme that can help with this type of thing. It varies from area to area and depending on the availability of volunteers at any one time.

Hope you can get something sorted.

DomesticCEO Sat 26-Jan-13 20:27:23

Thanks all - that's really helpful. I will phone PALS on Monday and ask.

My parents have run up hundreds of pounds worth of taxi bills in the past few years but have been way too proud to ask for help sad - the frequency of trips is making it very difficult to manage financially now so hopefully they will be able to access something.

Thanks again to all of you x

bigbluebus Sat 26-Jan-13 16:46:38

GP practice should know if there is a volunteer driver scheme in their area. If not, the ring the hospital and ask for transport to be arranged to the appointment, on the basis that he is not able to use public transport.

My dad had to go into hospital 17 miles from home for an operation. My mum doesn't drive and my dad was not going to be able to drive home after the op. I asked him how he was going to get there (we live 75 miles away, but I would have tried to get over there to help out if needed) He said he was going to go on the bus as he could use his bus pass! Anyway, someone at the hospital obviously asked the question and arranged patient transport for him both ways. One word of warning though, they often use mini buses or non emergency ambulances and do multiple pick ups in the area, so if your dad is not up to a long journey, check that out first.

bruffin Sat 26-Jan-13 13:55:28

There are volunteers that will drive people to and from hospital. My mil doesn't get pension credits but sometimes uses these drivers.

dopamax Sat 26-Jan-13 13:52:12

if you get pension credit you can. But def you have to be on a benefit!

dopamax Sat 26-Jan-13 13:49:33

I have just in the last couple of weeks found out that should have got help with travel costs for the last 3 yrs since dx for cancer!
Google in help for hospital travel, call them, also shows on the site if you are entiled.
I am cos of my benefit, not too sure bout taxis though. Based on cheapest route for patient, sure it is means tested,had to send proof and if claiming back at the hospital have to take my proof with me.
Web is Help with travel costs to hospital....sorry it wont let me post link, will look and see if means tested and post back.

belleat40 Fri 25-Jan-13 22:16:32

I don't think it's means tested, but I'm not sure. I think it's based on ability to travel, ie; if they can get the bus and walk a short distance, they're not eligible, but if they can't, they get it. But talk to the PALS team and see what they say.

DomesticCEO Thu 24-Jan-13 21:51:27

They're in Brighton. I hadn't think of speaking to PALS.

My parents are very proud and so wouldn't ask for themselves but I could try and phone on their behalf and hope they won't kill me when I tell them blush.

Do you know if it's means tested? My parents live on fairly small pensions but are not destitute IYSWIM?

belleat40 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:44:25

He may qualify for hospital transport, particularly if he cannot manage public transport. Have you spoken to the PALS team at the hospital?
At our Trust there are volunteers who drive people to and from appts, the PALS team identify people and request a driver. Where are you?

DomesticCEO Thu 24-Jan-13 21:39:50

Sorry, that wasn't very clear - taxi bills travelling to and from hospital for tests, not just travelling around! blush

DomesticCEO Thu 24-Jan-13 21:39:05

Hi, wondering if anyone can help.

My dad is ill and very frail - docs have been struggling to work out what is wrong with him. In the meantime him and my mum are running up huge taxi bills. They don't drive and there's no way my dad is up to walking/buses right now.

Does anyone know if there's any help for pensioners with travel costs? I know it's probably a long shot but thought I would ask.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now