Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

can i please have some adult experiences with roaccutane please??

(53 Posts)
purplerainbow Tue 15-Jan-13 20:31:51

I had acne on my back as a teen had various meds etc and didnt really help. Anyway, It cleared up in my early teens. After i had ds1 (6.7) it flared back up . I was put on every kind of anti biotic going from gp and nothing helped at all. Was sent to 2 different dermatologists. The first one tried a different anti biotic, again did nothing. The second one said the only thing that would get rid of it was roaccutane. At that point i had only heard bad things about it. I spoke to my gp about it but she strongly recommended i didnt try it because of my mental health history. She thought it wasnt worth the risk for me.

I then got pregnant with ds2 (4.2) and it cleared up. After i had ds2 it came back with full force particularly bad on my face. Always worse on my jaw and chin. Again was tried on various meds and still nothing changed. I had quite a few life adjustments and it calmed down a little. Im at a point now though where iv really had enough. If spent money seeing various alternative therapys and nothing has helped. Drink plenty of water. Eat ok, take vitamins. Nothing i do helps. Im currently on sertraline for anxiety. Im wondering if im already on an 'anti depressant' would i still be at risk of the mental health side of things?

Does anyone have any experience as an adult on this?

purplerainbow Sat 26-Jan-13 17:12:24

She didn't say I can't see a dermatologist she said due to 'changes' on the nhs now, I have to see a doctor with an 'interest' in dermatology in a different practise before I can see a dermatologist. My skin does contribute to the anxiety/depression yes. I'm not depressed now, I went on sertraline about 6 months ago due to anxiety. I guess I'll have to see what this guy says.

tacal Sat 26-Jan-13 22:54:03

It was a gp with an interest in dermatology who referred me to a dermatologist and that is how I got roaccutane. Good luck.

BookFairy Sat 26-Jan-13 23:14:54

Oh that happened to me. A private company run part of the dermatology services in my area, so I had to see a (disinterested) GP with special interest before I got to see a proper dermatologist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now