Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would a dental infection show up on a X-ray? Unbelievably sensitive teeth.

(7 Posts)
FairPhyllis Mon 14-Jan-13 15:43:33

Teeth problems here, utterly miserable. Would appreciate any thoughts.

The teeth on one side of my mouth have always been a bit sensitive to temperatures, but just over a week ago they suddenly became INSANELY sensitive to the point where I was in agony for 20-30 mins after just stepping outside for a few minutes (and this was when the weather was still mild). The maximum dose of paracetamol doesn't even touch the pain. Initially I thought this might be something to do with some dodgy fillings I had a few years ago, and I got an emergency appointment last Thursday because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Dentist x-rayed the problematic side and said there is no evidence of any problems with the fillings so he is not willing to replace them yet, told me about some special toothpaste for sensitive teeth and is seeing me again the same time this week.

Bought the toothpaste and the softest soft toothbrush ever and have been very careful with teeth, but I think it's actually getting worse - now I have pain and tooth throbbing without any external stimulus like drinking something or brushing teeth (haven't tried going out of the house yet as am too scared I will just end up in agony again).

So does anyone know if it's possible that I could have something like a low-level infection, or an abscess? Would that produce symptoms like this - or would the dentist have picked up on any infection from the X-ray? Worth trying antibiotics?

(drip-feed: I do have night-time bruxism (teeth-clenching) which I know can cause problems in itself, like cracking, but I've had it for about 9 months and the pain is only on one side of my mouth so I don't see why this problem would start all of a sudden. I have a mouth guard but I don't think it actually makes any difference because my teeth are still clenched around the mouthguard so the pressure on them is still the same iyswim).

somewheresomehow Mon 14-Jan-13 16:00:25

Hi
before christmas i had two abscesses within 3 weeks one at the back and one under a front bottom one, the pain was incredible went the chemist and had the strongest ibuprofen i could get and antibiotics. took a few days but they did clear up.
have you tried putting the toothpaste on your finger and gently rubbing it directly onto your teeth and gums.
as it is throbbing now as well that sounds like mine was i should try and see the dentist sooner if you can it sounds like an abscess has formed

FairPhyllis Mon 14-Jan-13 16:11:25

Yes, it is the kind of toothpaste that you are supposed to rub in, so I have been doing that. Has made naff all difference though!

fayeso Mon 14-Jan-13 22:37:39

You said like you are in the same state as me........I have had severe toothache and over sensitised teeth for a week now. I saw the dentist . last week who x- rayed them but said she could see nothing wrong. I then in a desperate state saw the nurse at the doctors surgery to be told all she could do was check my ears for an infection but then couldn' t see as they were so full of wax......an appointment has been made for me to have them syringed this Thursday so I am putting olive oil in them daily.
Anyway I have just spent the weekend in bed feeling really ill and it ended up with me at the out of hours doctors and being told I may have a blocked salivary gland and given me antibiotics. I know this is not what is wrong with me but am taking them anyway. I am still in agony and am going back to the dentist tommorrow. I am likely to be in tears when explaining all this to her and will be even more hysterical if she says there is nothing wrong.
I haven' t slept properly for a week and am struggling to eat and drink.
Like you though it seems to be all my teeth on the top of one side, but I think one hurts more than all the others.
Will let you know how I get on xxx

FairPhyllis Tue 15-Jan-13 15:53:58

And the verdict is ... dead nerve in tooth > root canal. Arg! I am scared.

fayeso Tue 15-Jan-13 18:27:10

Hi- same here .....after I managed to pull myself together and stop crying to the dentist I sat in the chair and she removed the filling in the tooth to look for a crack-there was one in the root of the tooth so she has released the pressure and put in a temporary filling. Her initial thought was going to have to be an extraction but she is going to try and save it with root canal treatment- she has warned me that the tooth may snap while she is doing it and in that case she will have to pull it- not great as I have already had a molar removed on the same side but at bottom.

Don't worry about root canal-once you are numb you just have to sit there

I will let you know how it goes- I am going back this Thursday-to be honest I am just relieved I now know what he pain is as I have been so ill with it- I am now physically drained by the pain I have been in and am holding a good nights sleep is not far off!!!

fayeso Tue 15-Jan-13 18:28:59

Hoping not holding!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now