Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm having seizures in my sleep - what should I do?

(18 Posts)
LadyMargolotta Tue 15-Jan-13 17:19:04

When you go to the neurologist, you MUST make your DP come with you so he can describe exactly what he has seen.

awaywego1 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:16:28

It's crap when you feel like that-I always feel I have to wait until I'm dying as I feel they think I am a hypochondriac but well done for going and please go back or get help ASAP if it keeps happening.

Footle Tue 15-Jan-13 16:10:52

You had good reasons for not wanting to see GP then ! Great that you have a quick referral now.

hellymelly Tue 15-Jan-13 11:33:17

Storm how scary for you. Hope you get seen quickly and that all is ok.

stormforce10 Tue 15-Jan-13 11:25:06

As you predicted gp has made an urgent referrel to a neurologist so I will await the appointment and see what happens next

stormforce10 Tue 15-Jan-13 09:56:46

Thank you again.

I've got a GPs apppointment in about an hours time.

Soirry for drip feeding but Im nervous about going because about 15 years ago I had a number of blackouts which terrified me and they diagnosed nothing after lots of tests including MRIs and EEGs. They stopped after about 6-8 months and never came back but were never explained. In fact they even told my mum I had munchausans because they couldn't find anything sad She chose to believe them and was awful about it and since then I've been too scared even to go to the GP with something very obvious let alone something like this. I'm certainly not telling the rest of my family until I've got a proper diagnosis if ever.

I wish I thought it was safe to ignore this because if I could I would. I don /t want to go through all that again sad

gerbilsarefun Mon 14-Jan-13 10:39:29

This has happened to me twice out of the blue. The first time, 2 years ago, I was coming down with flu, I went to bed with a fever, and came round 3 days later in hospital. That night my husband woke up with me fitting, and called an ambulance. I had all sorts of tests (CAT, MRI and weeks later, an EEG) and the doctor said it probably wasn't epilepsy, it was just caused by the 'febrile stage' of Flu (I was diagnosed with Flu B) although they couldn't say for definite. I got over it all, stopped taking the epilepsy medicine, eventually I got my driving licence back, and then 2 years later it happened again. This time, it was found out that my overactive thyroid had returned, so whether this caused another fit who knows. I have an appointment with the neurologist next month, but they don't seem to know why it should have suddenly happened at the age of 45. Although the neurologist did ask my husband if I had ever had a knock to my head, he didn't know but I fell over at 5yo and banged the back of my head at a swimming pool.

OP, hope the doctor has some answers for you, and at the very least sends you for some tests. The tests themselves are nothing to worry about, I'm not really claustrophobic but am not keen on small spaces, but I didn't mind the MRI. The EEG was at another hospital, the staff were really friendly and chatty and the worse thing about it was my blobs of glue on my head. I felt like I'd been on a coffee morning with friends!!

ArkadyRose Sun 13-Jan-13 20:51:48

Go see your GP and request a referral to a neurologist so they can arrange for an EEG. You should stop driving; you will not be allowed to drive until you have been seizure-free for at least 1 year.

It's not necessary to cause an ambulance for every seizure, particularly if your DP has seen you have one before - however he should call an ambulance if a full-body convulsive fit like that lasts for more than 2 minutes longer than normal, or if you have repeated seizures one after the other.

The good news is that there are a lot of treatments available for epilepsy and if you get the right meds, then it can be completely controlled - I was diagnosed as epileptic a year ago, and I haven't had a fit in over 6 months since I was put on the right dose of medication.

Epilepsy.com is a good resource, as is the Epilepsy Society.

CabbageLeaves Sun 13-Jan-13 20:43:55

Don't be scared. The GP is the start to getting it sorted out thanks

stormforce10 Sun 13-Jan-13 20:42:08

DP says it ony went on a few minutes and then I seemed to be alright so he didn't think an ambulance was necessary.

I still feel awful so will try to get a gp appointment tomorrow. Luckily I don't drive anyway.

Bit scared now sad

And stop driving until a dr says you can.

Footle Sun 13-Jan-13 18:15:06

It seems almost unbelievable that he didn't call an ambulance. What would count as an emergency ? I hope you've seen a doctor by now. Good luck.

HiggsBoson Sun 13-Jan-13 18:03:35

I started having seizures in my sleep many years ago. It quickly progressed to daytime seizures every 2-3 days.

GO TO YOUR GP!

poodletip Sun 13-Jan-13 17:52:58

Why didn't he get you medical help straight away? I find that shocking! You must see a Dr!

2old2beamum Sun 13-Jan-13 17:28:50

See you GP and take your DP with you to explain what he saw especially as he is not always with you all the time--- ASAP
Please do not ignore it!!

buildingmycorestrength Sun 13-Jan-13 17:26:19

You must immediately see a GP. Seizures should never be taken lightly.

awaywego1 Sun 13-Jan-13 16:42:27

If you don't normally have seizures then yes-go to the GP ASAP. Did your DP try to bring you round-he should be calling an ambulance if this isn't something that has happened before. Are you taking medication or been unwell or anything that could have triggered this?
Don't just ignore it.

stormforce10 Sun 13-Jan-13 16:04:18

A few times over the last 2-3 months I've woken up with painful lumps on either side of my tounge as if I've bitten it and feeling as if I've been generally beaten up.

This morning I woke up like this and before I mentioned it to dp he said he woke in the night and I was convulsing all over, he couldn't wake me but my eyes were open and rolled back. this is the second time in the couple of months he's seen me do this. DP is not always here as he works away so this may have happened before with same symptoms in the morning but not been observed IYSWIM.

What do I do? Is it worth seeing GP or should I just ignore it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now