Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

gifts for friend in hospital for a month with chemo

(16 Posts)
MrsDeVere Sat 12-Jan-13 21:51:14

He might not be in for a whole month.
They usually err on the side of caution just so you are prepared.
Depending on the treatment he could be home a bit quicker.

Fingers crossed.

bluepapermonkey Sat 12-Jan-13 21:37:02

some great and really thoughtful ideas, thank you.

he is single so no partner and no kids - but he is a lovely bloke so does have lots of friends to care about him.

he is a bit of an artist so thinking about getting him a journal and some watercolour crayons so he can mess about a bit if the mood takes him and some books for inspiration or just pictures when he's feeling shite.

he's got 5 months of coming so it's going to be a slog.

MrsDeVere Sat 12-Jan-13 21:15:36

he won't have a lot of space for stuff in his locker so small things are best.

Lip balm (a manly one) because hospitals are so hot and lips get very dry.

We used a lot of cd books but I suppose they would be downloads now? Audio books on ipad/ipod <dim>

GeordieCherry Sat 12-Jan-13 21:13:24

Audio books in case he's bored but not up to reading
A friend who's spent a lot of time in hospital said it made her skin really dry & unpleasant. Don't know what kind of guy your friend is, but maybe some nice toiletries?
Jelly sweets for dry mouth & treats
Far Side or Modern Toss easy to read cartoons..?
HTH, you're doing a lovely thing

Gigondas Sat 12-Jan-13 21:11:01

I would be cautious about craft stuff- a lot of people find their concentration goes when on chemo .

dikkertjedap Sat 12-Jan-13 21:07:05

If your friend was a woman I would say a crafting type thing. For a man, maybe a model aeroplane/boat whatever to put together, paint etc. (Revell is one of the main brands, they do scale models and you can get them online and in craft shops). Would he enjoy a jigsaw puzzle, a pack of cards with some suggested card games, a computer chess game or other computer games? Maybe an old fashioned game if there is somebody else to play with, eg Monopoly, Risk etc.

Does he have kids? Otherwise maybe a thing he can make for his kids?

hermioneweasley Sat 12-Jan-13 21:03:12

A vote here for masses of entertainment stuff!

I made my friend a box full of stuff when she went in for a mastectomy it had:
Tissues, raisins, small tins of tonic water (quinine is supposed to help with nausea) cd Walkman with two CDs of cool songs (IMO!), crunchy bars, batteries for the Walkman, post it notes, books, mints, wipes, mini deodorants and face creams etc.

HTH x

Gigondas Sat 12-Jan-13 20:58:31

Food gifts will be welcome but wait til he starts as like pregnancy, your tastebuds can go crazy.

bluepapermonkey Sat 12-Jan-13 20:54:50

yes, we'll stay in touch and go and see him too. some great ideas here for things i can send him, thanks so much.

Gigondas Sat 12-Jan-13 20:36:38

Text him (and ring him if he is up to it) as human contact keeps him going . Cup and mug so can have something special whilst he is in there (not hospital rubbish) as makes drinking more tolerable. Pillow spray to make things smell homely.

But amazon or iTunes vouchers best as I watched or read when in hospital.

feellikearubbishmummy Sat 12-Jan-13 20:34:20

If he has access to internet on tablet etc then Lovefilm credits>> if they exist?

You may be able to get nice dry mouth spray.

Try and find out whether he has to pay for the hospital TV and phone and get a voucher for that?

bluepapermonkey Sat 12-Jan-13 20:28:04

thanks. yes, that's a nice idea. he is very visual so maybe a photo book or some stuff from a gallery. yes, got me thinking now! fantastic thought - thank you.

tonythepony Sat 12-Jan-13 20:23:46

ah thats a really nice idea, maybe also photos or pictures because seeing the same four plain walls can get very boring i imagine...
i hope he recovers well smile

bluepapermonkey Sat 12-Jan-13 20:11:50

A good friend is going to hospital for a month for chemo.

We'd like to send him regular, small gifts through the post (he's at the other end of the country) but not sure how much personal space he'll have or how chemo will hit him.

Am thinking gum for dry mouth, pjs, some ginger sweets for nausea, amazon vouchers for audio books (and links to ideas so he has to do minimum).... but what else?!

Any ideas gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now