Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dp has a lump (nodule) on thyroid, I'm so worried it could be malignant

(179 Posts)
Twosugarsplease Fri 11-Jan-13 10:12:16

Dp has seen GP said it could be a nodule, ultra sound confirmed this on Monday.
Went back to hospital yesterday, expecting the biopsy to be done, and hoping for a bit of relief from worry, I was sat in waiting room with our little ds, then my dp comes out and said consultant basically asked him to have ultra sound and biopsy and date will follow, dp has had an ultra sound already,so yesterday was so frustrating, only thing positive was he asked if bloods had been done, which they have, and consultant said 'good' when my dp said they were fine.

Nodule is 33 millimetres in size, with a smaller one at the bottom, I'm so terrified that it could be malignant sad

Dp is fine, not really stressing at all, and telling me not to, we've googled, and he has read there is a 5 % chance nodules can be malignant.
I have constantly got this knot in my stomach and can barely think of anything else, I'm just so worried.

Is anyone a GP or in the know of thyroid nodules ? Thankyou.

Ilovefluffysheep Fri 18-Jan-13 22:54:33

Sorry to hear our news penis.

MrsShrek3 Fri 18-Jan-13 23:18:55

hugs PC. If it is malignant or in anyway best to get rid of the fucker. Being fit and well beforehand is obv in your favour and you are more likely to make a speedy recovery. good luck, will be thinking of you x

digerd Sat 19-Jan-13 07:09:16

Mine wasn't cancer, but the Hyerthyroidism made me very ill, and was almost skelitonised - wasted away- and damaged my cardiovascular system. I was so ill they couldn't do the op for 6 months, so was medicated and then 3 weeks in hospital bedrest with 3xdaily iodine in milk to rest the Thyroid, before the op. Still here though, many years later< grin face>

Twosugarsplease Sat 19-Jan-13 17:39:44

Hi digerd yes my dh is fine, something like this really does make you realise what's important.
I have purposely tried not to think of what the actual day will be, until nearer the time, just enjoying not thinking if it as intensely.
It's all very snowy here so looks like dh won't be working tomorrow, so drinkers tonight too grin

peniscolada rooting for you on Thursday <hugs>

Twosugarsplease Sat 19-Jan-13 17:40:58

Drinkies * blush

MrsShrek3 Sat 19-Jan-13 20:23:26

wine wine
sounds like you've already had a bit wink

Twosugarsplease Sat 19-Jan-13 21:42:39

Holding your hand thursday penis (your hand I say ! )
Please get back to us <hugs>

MrsShrek3 Sat 19-Jan-13 22:05:23

Twosugars, that sounds so, well, wrong grin

Twosugarsplease Sun 20-Jan-13 16:21:25

Yes it does mrsshrek I apologise PM
How are you all today ?

digerd Mon 21-Jan-13 10:02:33

OP
My DD had her first Mammogram screening and got a letter today calling her back. She just phoned me and the appt is tomorrow - so soon! Shocked and worried.

Twosugarsplease Mon 21-Jan-13 15:25:18

Oh digerd when was the mammogram ?
Passing hugs and support to you this time >>>>>
I remember many years ago my mum had a mammogram, then biopsy and I remember it was Xmas eve we went along with her for the results, she was ok.
That is my experience of the worry of breast cancer, and a tiny bit of support.
Will be rooting for you and your daughter.

digerd Mon 21-Jan-13 18:44:27

OP
Thanks.
Her mammogram was a week ago last Monday, and she got the letter Saturday, with the recall appt for Tuesday. She can't feel any lumps, so we are both shocked. They mentioned she may have ultra sound and/or biopsy.
Her appt is at 2pm.
Your DH still waiting for his appt?

Twosugarsplease Mon 21-Jan-13 19:32:05

Dh's app is 30 th jan, he is fine as always, the knot will return in my stomachany day now sad
It sounds like possibly an ultra sound, perhaps as there were no lumps and bumps to feel,just could be making sure, let's hope so.
Was the mammogram just routine digerd ?
Wishing you a good nights rest and sending hugs fir you both tomorrow.

digerd Mon 21-Jan-13 20:08:27

OP
Yes. They have now reduced the lowest age for screening, and DD is in it. It was her first ever screening. My brain has turned fuddled and tummy full of butterflies/hornets. But at least tomorrow we might have some good news , if she doesn't need a biopsy. Just so shocked at the "urgent" appt.

Twosugarsplease Mon 21-Jan-13 20:40:07

Your bound to be dig ! But maybe that's procedure to ultra sound after, I know with my mum they were actually investigating a lump, so was quite a time.
I so hope all is ok, but this waiting can be unbearable.
You have been a tower if strength sending your knowledge and support my way and here you are in the same situation !
I'm sure you will no
More tomorrow, and fingers crossed get some relief, did they not say why they were calling your daughter back?
They certainly know how to scare the crap out of us! Or even just to say this is ''just routine'' would be a comfort.

digerd Mon 21-Jan-13 21:28:01

OP
No, that's the first thing I asked DD, didn't they say why? She said no. But it's obvious something on the mammo needs further investigation.
Just taken my little dog out in the snow - only had her 2 weeks. She's 2 years old, very small and sweet. The fresh air and her enjoyment did me good.
Signing off now and having an early night, I'll be awake early tomorrow.

Ilovefluffysheep Mon 21-Jan-13 22:06:15

Sorry to hear this digerd. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. X

digerd Tue 22-Jan-13 09:10:10

Sugars
I slept really well last night, but at 6.30 when I got up I was shocked to see the overnight temperature outside had been -7 s o everything well and truly iced up.
DD had to go into work this morning< unkind boss wouldn't let her off> and the hospital is quite near her work, but she wants me to go with her, so is driving back to pick me up, but my cul-de-sac is too dangerous, so I have to walk to the side road to meet her. The end of my road pavement is uncleared so hope I don't slip and fall before I get to her car .
Feeling calmer about the appt, as she can't feel a lump anywhere.

Twosugarsplease Tue 22-Jan-13 15:22:07

Hi dig just popping in on the off chance your around. Hope all went well today, and that you got to hospital safely in this weather. We have snow everywhere here in north east has snowed for days, I have dh at home though as roads too dangerous for his pupils smile Hope to catch you soon.

digerd Tue 22-Jan-13 19:01:22

Not been back long. DD had yet another mammogram, and we were shown the bit that was worrying them and is a cluster of calcified cells. The DR felt her breast for any lumps, but there are none and she could not feel the calcified cluster of cells either, but know they are there.
DD had a terrible ordeal with a 15 minute 5 biopsies in that specific area, all under the mammo again to be sure the biopsies were taken from the correct area as could not be felt.
She could hardly breath in the position she was in and almost passed out/fainted during the last one.

The chances of them being malignant are only 20 %, and even then they would be just taken out - not the whole breast taken off. So not an aggressive malignancy. But 80 % chance it is a benign cluster.
She will be given the results next week by phone on Wednesday.
Never heard of that kind of breast cancer that has no lump in the early stages.

Twosugarsplease Tue 22-Jan-13 19:26:13

Hi dig here you go..brew...this is a bit of relief, and seemed explained to you very well.
I know you still don't know for sure, but it's something positive to hold onto. I have heard of clusters that seem to be 'all it was' when I have heard people talking of this, it seems to be that it is a relief to them.
Sounds like an ordeal though, the biopsies today, crikey !
Well I hope you can rest a little easier tonight, and of corse your daughter too, a nice walk with the dig will do you good, I can't walk ours he is too big, loves the snow though !
What age do they send for routine mammo's ?
I'm 40 this year, and I do not want another thing to worry about anytime soon.

Twosugarsplease Tue 22-Jan-13 19:33:24

Correction to spelling course and *dog hmm

digerd Tue 22-Jan-13 19:51:33

Sugar
They have recently changed it to 47, before that it was 50. They may reduce it even lower if the cases of younger woman with breast cancer increases.
DD's boss had a lump but could not be biopsied because they couldn't get at it and left it. Pity in this day and age, they can't invent a mammogram that can determine if malignant or not.
DD did have a <painful> local injection first to freeze/numb the tissue. It's rather like a wasp sting I remember < after DDs birth and needed a few stitches>
The joys of being a woman.
DD does not want to ever have those biopsies again - poor thing. On the way home her breast became painful from the procedure.

digerd Tue 22-Jan-13 20:01:10

My DH bought his dad a St Bernard puppy when he retired. He got to be enormous but gorgeous and loved the snow in Germany. I never walked him DH did. Remembering the romantic, care-free times in my younger life,<sigh>.

Twosugarsplease Wed 23-Jan-13 19:56:47

ilove how are you ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now