Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast lump..

(61 Posts)
Jellykat Mon 07-Jan-13 14:43:53

I know i may be getting worked up over nothing here, but reassurance would be gratefully appreciated.

I've been having odd problems with swollen lymph glands (negative test for glandular fever) and right boob for @ 8 months, went back and forth to GP, and finally had an appt with a breast consultant last Thursday.

Have had right nipple being sore and itchy, areola periodically looking inflammed, and shooting pains up into armpit.
I convinced myself it's hormonal as am peri meno, but during scan the consultant found a lump previously undetected, immediately above my nipple. He thinks its nothing horrendous and said i should have a mammogram to be sure.

This morning i've received a mammogram appointment for Wednesday, so now i'm flipping out because it kind of looks a bit urgent..

Please tell me i'm being daft as i've no RL support here sad

Jelly just seen this thread and wanted to send you positive vibes for a good clear result smile

I went through similar last year and was a complete nervous wreck waiting for the results - but it was fine and results were completely benign (as the consultant had said they would probably be, but, like you, I kept thinking 'what if he's wrong...'.

Was lucky as my mammo didn't hurt at all - I was dreading it as my mum always says they're hideously painful. She says I must have 'asbestos tits' grin

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 14:11:45

I didn't care about what the female radiographers though of my old breasts. But when I was man-handled by a YOUNG MALE dr at the hospital, I was sooo embarassed.

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 14:12:53

OP
How did it go today?

SoleSource Thu 10-Jan-13 14:22:10

Jelly is at work today smile

Is it possible to request no males be present during tbe mammogram?

After writing that I feel that is silly..

I think you can

SoleSource Thu 10-Jan-13 14:31:26

I just feel awful because my boobs are a mess.

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 15:04:08

The man was not at the Mammo, but at the breast clinic in hospital out-patients. He told me they were just fibrous lumps < so not only saggy, but consisted of just lumps> Humiliation - and he was so young, which to me made it worse than if he'd been a much older man. Silly me I suppose.

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 15:12:00

Jelly said she had her Mammo Wednesday - yesterday?

SoleSource Thu 10-Jan-13 17:57:30

Yesterday, yup.

Jellykat Thu 10-Jan-13 20:17:09

shock at 'fibrous lumps' Digard, my god i bet his girlfriend bloody loves that! NOT.

badtasteflump Thank you for the positive vibes smile
I did snigger at 'Asbestos tits', must be handy at times.. grin

BackForGood I meant to say yesterday no worries re. the deo question, i was wondering why too smile

I have had male surgeon and his registrars examining me and a male in the radiotherapy dept, in fact 2 come to think of it...sort of got used to it,though am terribly shy and embarrassed about anyone seeing me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now