Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

I think I just threw up faeces?!!

(43 Posts)
FaeWinter Sun 30-Dec-12 14:58:02

Felt unwell since early hours of the morning, sore throat, achey body, swollen glands, felt a bit sick. not really eaten much.

Last night I ate take away indian with friends and had chicken jalrezi, rice, bombay aloo, sag paneer, rice. Lovely, washed down with 3-4 glasses of red wine through the evening.

Had a big bowel movement this afternoon, thought that would sort out the sickness feeling. About 10 minutes later I threw up, what I can only describe as looking like poo. I had vague reminiscent curry smell/burn to it, did not smell like poo, but the consistency of it, the way it was formed was exactly like it. A lot of it too, it was difficult to get out as it was quite solid formed (like loose stools, not runny). I was surprised that I threw up anything as I have eaten little, so it was completely undigested, or it was faeces.

Now, it could be that it just looks like poo but is in fact undigested food? However, the reason I am concerned is that I have, over the years, been sick a LOT, with HG in both pregnancies, so have seen a lot of different types of sick from different food, and including curry. It has NEVER looked like poo before.

But then, I think it can't be, as I had just used my bowels, so not due to constipation, although I have had constipation and today was the first bowel movement for a few days (not uncommon due to pain meds side effect).

What do you think? I have, BTW namechanged in order to not embarrass myself due to this delicate subject matter.

CuddlyBlanket Sun 30-Dec-12 15:49:47

let us know how you get on.

FaeWinter Sun 30-Dec-12 15:51:27

write I will call OOH doc, they will put me through to a real emergency on-call doctor in my local area. I have used them before and they are great, my experiences of NHS direct have never been fabulous tbh, although their website is good.

FaeWinter Sun 30-Dec-12 15:51:40

thanks cuddly will do.

VestaCurry Sun 30-Dec-12 15:55:01

Surely you'd taste the utter foulness of poo if that's what was vomited? Although if projectile-like vomiting it doesn't have time to hit tastebuds I suppose.

FaeWinter Sun 30-Dec-12 15:55:46

no, there was no poo taste. thank god.

FaeWinter Sun 30-Dec-12 15:56:05

but, it also didn't taste acidy like vomit usually does.

cocolepew Sun 30-Dec-12 16:16:09

Did it smell like poo? Any time I have seen it happen it smells awful.

Have you called them yet? Do you have cash for a taxi? Chances are the OOH will want to see you asap.

Elibean Sun 30-Dec-12 16:30:44

If it was poo (ie blockage from high up in intestine) it would smell like poo. Trust me.

It sounds like undigested curry, and I hope you feel better now its out grin

Elibean Sun 30-Dec-12 16:32:05

And personally, as you are not constipated and are not feeling awful (if a bit viral), I would not panic either.

OddBoots Sun 30-Dec-12 16:34:09

I have no idea but it sounds horrid, I hope you can get an answer soon.

FaeWinter Sun 30-Dec-12 16:36:18

called and waiting for doc to call back, within 2 hours. if he suggests popping to A&E, DH will probably be home by the time that happens.

But, I am suspecting that it was undigested curry now, although it looked nothing like it did when it went in, the fact it did not smell like poo at all makes me think I am now being overly dramatic about it.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 30-Dec-12 16:37:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FaeWinter Sun 30-Dec-12 16:54:30

GP just called. lovely man. Didn't make me feel silly at all. He said that vomiting faeces is pretty rare, and most likely if a) there has been intestinal surgery and risk of twisted intenstines (or something like that) and b) perforated ulcer. b) is vaguely possible because I am taking diclofenac and have been for a while, but still unlikely (to be monitored).

He thinks it is most likely that it is the food from last night. He said the colour and consistency will be vastly altered from when consumed, by acid and the digestion process, but in effect stayed there because I was constipated and it had nowhere to go, which was the 'blockage'. So, when I went to the toilet this afternoon, I cleared the blockage but probably my stomach decided it was quicker to expel the rest of it by mouth as it had been sat there for a while.

He told me to monitor colour of bowel movements, and any further vomiting, stop taking the diclofenac for a few days, and not to take ibruprofen as a substitute, and continue with the omeprazole as there is a chance, that despite taking the omeprazole there has been bleeding from stomach lining irritation caused by diclofenac.

That is just absolutely marvelous. I can't function without the diclofenac, it keeps me moving and upright! but, at least it is not serious/an indication of a life-threatening condition.

Thanks everyone. I feel calm now.

Mrsrudolphduvall Sun 30-Dec-12 16:56:38

Glad you're ok.
Most eye catching thread title of the day.

ike1 Sun 30-Dec-12 16:57:46

red wine will colour vomit a very dark brown

FaeWinter Sun 30-Dec-12 17:10:43

ike if it was very dark brown I would probably have not been worried, would have said it was the wine/curry. It was a mid brown. Or if I had coffee and it is very dark I would presume it was the coffee but didn't have that today either.

mrsrudolph I hope it doesn't get too much more traffic and make it to the discussions of the Day grin shock

it's time to discuss some form of laxative more frequently with doc to counteract pain meds.I need to have similar conversation and also keep avoiding it. shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now