Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eye infection from contacts?

(6 Posts)
strumpetpumpkin Sun 30-Dec-12 17:29:55

i have had 2 eye ulcers from contact lenses and you really really don't want to let it get that bad. worse than childbirth and Im lucky i still have my sight

XBenedict Sun 30-Dec-12 13:58:59

Can you get in touch with the OOH doctor or go to a & e. Eye infections need to be treated promptly.

KindleMum Sun 30-Dec-12 13:52:53

Ah, forgot it's Sunday! Sorry.

alisunshine29 Sun 30-Dec-12 13:50:28

Thanks for your reply, but no open opticians here today. Will try tomorrow though.

KindleMum Sun 30-Dec-12 13:45:55

I've had contacts 25 yrs with no probs. However, my top tip would be to walk in to your optician as your first option - IME they are far better at diagnosing minor eye ailments than GPs and if you need to see the GP they will tell you, otherwise they'll tell you what to do to fix it. If you've only had them recently it's also possible you're not infected but reacting to/unsuitable for them - which again your optician will be better placed to advise on than a GP.

I know you say you're 2 miles away but I would honestly see an optician today rather than a GP in 3 days - and if the optician says it's urgent then at least you know that you have to go to a walk-in or A&E etc. Everyone in my family has lenses or glasses and I always find that if you pop in to the optician they will always fit you in - especially if they've fitted you for contact as they are concerned about aftercare. And obviously, no contact wearing until you've checked this out. I would never leave it - I have really rubbish eyesight and would hate to damage it further.

alisunshine29 Sun 30-Dec-12 13:35:13

Have recently started wearing contact lenses and may not have cleaned one properly yesterday thanks to trying to do so with small baby under arm! My eye felt dry after a few hours, I removed lenses and eye looked a bit smaller and a bit red. Within a couple of hours it was discharging green sleep-like stuff and felt bruised. When I woke this morning it was stuck together, now it's prised open but very red and sore and have got a 7cm or so in diameter red circle around the affected eye - attractive huh?? I'm 2 miles from nearest open shop with small poorly baby so can't go get credit to call NHS direct (stupid PAYG phone!) but have googled and some sites say infections from lenses can be very dangerous and to seek medical advice immediately. It's getting worse but doesn't really hurt. Does anyone have any experience of having this? Can it wait for a doctors appointment in next few days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now