Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZIg zags and strange vision

(11 Posts)
DIddled Sat 29-Dec-12 13:21:59

I have just had an episode of extreme zig zag visual disturbance. When I looked at myself I didn't feel like I was looking at myself ( that sounds weird I know). IT has settled a bit now. I am 42 fit and healthy, no history of migraine and only ocular issue was suspected optic neuritis 23 years ago. I have been reading up on migraine auras which is supposed to be a migraine with no headache? WWYD- is a trip to A and E being a bit dramatic? THanks in advance.

VeryTattyTinselMum Sat 29-Dec-12 13:28:22

Almost certainly migraine aura. Worth taking painkillers if you can tolerate them and see if they stabilise your vision over the next half hour. If you're worried after then go to A&E that's what it's there for. I get this about once a month in what used to be my cycle (I'm 10 years older than you) started about 6 years ago and I only sometimes get migraine pain if I ignore the early signs

ouryve Sat 29-Dec-12 13:33:41

Sounds very much like a migraine aura. I had my first at 40 and I've had a couple since - all on the first day of a period or when I'm ovulating AND I'm over tired after a few nights of insomnia.

ouryve Sat 29-Dec-12 13:35:27

Oh - and found the best thing for getting over them was a big drink of water and a couple of ibuprofen, though they all left me a little woolly headed afterwards.

FunnysInLaJardin Sat 29-Dec-12 13:38:49

sounds just like an aura. I get them from time to time particularly when I'm stressed and get a dull headache after together with feeling washed out for an hour or two. I think it's your body's way of saying 'slow down'!

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Sat 29-Dec-12 13:39:17

I get migraines, with the ones that have visual disturbances, like you've described, the aura is the first sign of the migrane, the headache pain that starts can be anywhere between 1 and 6 hours later if I haven't taken pain relief. (I've usually got time to get home from work, but I've been getting them for years, so the pattern is more predictable than when they first started)

If you have had migraines before I'd be inclined to suggest phoning GP/OOHs, but I wouldn't drive.

FrustratedSycamoreSnowflake Sat 29-Dec-12 13:40:22

*havent had them before.

LovesBeingAtHomeForChristmas Sat 29-Dec-12 13:43:05

I get similar and can be scary. Some rest and no stimulation should help. Mine can go as quick as they come

Startail Sat 29-Dec-12 14:06:37

Have you had a very busy/stressful Xmas.

I used to get evil migraines when I finally had time to relax.

DIddled Sat 29-Dec-12 14:36:34

Oooh thanks you lot. It has settled now I have just dropped DS and dh off at the football. Got a bit of headache but bit too bad. I was worried though I was having a stroke and I am always conscious of the optic neuritis being a precursor to MS, even though I have had no reoccurrence since that one episode when I was 19.

I think they call people like me the 'worried well' smile

Again thanks for your replies and sorry for being so dramatic!!! I don't suppose the change in routine late nights and slight (ahem) increase in alcohol intake has helped either.

DIddled Sat 29-Dec-12 14:37:00

I mean not too bad not bit too bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now