Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need help to make a Crohns friendly treat basket!

(9 Posts)
Santa058 Wed 12-Dec-12 21:52:24

I have ulcerative colitis so not as bad as Crohns but same family of disease. Caffeine and choc and fruit (acidic) are the most likely things to cause a flare up or make one worse. Not sure if this is particularly helpful!

FestiveWench Wed 12-Dec-12 21:44:43

Can I have some too smile

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Wed 12-Dec-12 20:21:55

He's not on medication for it so I guess he can't be that ill. His mum tells me I need to avoid anything spicy or rich, so I'll make some gluten free cookies & some not too rich fudge.

Thanks for your help! I know Crohns is very individual now, so I'll know to check with him before I do anything else!

FestiveWench Mon 10-Dec-12 14:28:56

sorry. I meant "to be given food".
I guess that I'll I'm trying to say is that Crohns is so individual/variable that we can't really advise. When I'm well and my medication is working then I can eat absolutely anything smile

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 10-Dec-12 13:12:49

I was going to make it, am very much on a budget!

FestiveWench Mon 10-Dec-12 11:52:28

How ill is he?

I would find it odd to be bought food TBH. Unless I was on a particularly restrictive diet, which most Chrohns people that I know are not.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 10-Dec-12 11:47:18

That's what I wanted to avoid because it was supposed to be a surprise! Maybe I can talk to his mum?!

FestiveWench Mon 10-Dec-12 11:38:33

IME the 'rules' for people with Chrohns are so individual that you have no chance of getting this right. Even I'm not sure what it is that I should be eating smile

TBH I would keep away from food for a present for someone with Chrohns unless you are prepared to talk to them in detail about their diet.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 10-Dec-12 11:36:16

Hiya! Blimey it's been ages since I was on here! smile

I have a good friend with Crohn's disease & I was thinking of making him a treat basket for Xmas. I don't know enough about Crohns (despite judicious googling!) to go ahead & make stuff so was hoping someone on here could help!

Is there anything I need to particularly avoid or will anything gluten free do? I'm guessing I need to not make anything too rich, but I wanted to put some fudge in. Is there a way to make fudge that's not too rich? My usual recipe uses a tin of condensed milk & about a kilo of butter, & anyone eating it falls into a diabetic coma almost instantly. Ok, I may have exaggerated that but you get my point.

Anyway, I'd be really grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now