Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Food sensitivity testing - have I been ripped off?

(11 Posts)
Mylittlepuds Thu 06-Dec-12 21:08:51

It cost £40. The man was lovely but his machine (including a metal rod I had to hold) looked ancient. He reckons I'm sensitive to cheese, potatoes, lemons, tangerines, pork, soy, chocolate, to name a few things.

My only problem is generalised anxiety disorder which I'm desperately trying to get to the bottom of.

MissCellania Thu 06-Dec-12 21:11:53

It's utter bullshit I'm afraid. "sensitive" means what exactly? Nothing. If you have any intolerances they can be diagnosed properly by medical professionals, not by a fella with a metal rod.

Sorry.

Mylittlepuds Thu 06-Dec-12 21:15:10

sad

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 06-Dec-12 21:25:32

Did you have blood tests? Cultures grown? Anything at all scientific?

Otherwise, it's all rubbish. There is just no way to tell without the blood.

You should try to get your money back. Then see your doctor if you are really suspecting a food intolerance, but I suspect any symptoms would be much more physical.

I did get testing on the nhs for food intolerance, due to anxiety, but it didn't find anything. I am gluten intolerant now, and feel a bit stupid that I thought I might have been intolerant before without any of the obvious physical symptoms.

It's worth making an appointment.

Mylittlepuds Thu 06-Dec-12 21:37:09

No nothing like that - just a rod, a probe that went into some gel on my finger and a rather ancient looking box of things. I've been we'll and truly scammed haven't I?! I'm annoyed at myself but will just about do anything to rid myself of feeling like this.

Kundry Fri 07-Dec-12 00:36:06

Sorry but that was £40 you've spent learning not to be gullible.

Really, how is holding a metal rod going to tell you about food allergies? Plus if you cut out all those foods you could easily make yourself malnourished.

shitmagnet Fri 07-Dec-12 10:07:50

Even blood tests are dodgy when it comes to intolerance (more reliable in assessing allergy). The only way to truly diagnose intolerance is through an elimination diet, which can take up to 6mo if you are testing artificial additives as well as natural foods.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 07-Dec-12 19:07:07

don't feel bad you just want to be well, he should feel bad sad

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Sat 08-Dec-12 10:17:43

I've had this done. To be fair, what he picked up was a 'delicate system' with a sensitivity to wheat and too much sugar which isn't too far off the mark. I've since been diagnosed with IBS. It's £40 - chalk it up to experience.

I would lean towards seeking more support from GP - are you having counselling? CBT? Rather than persuing these 'alternatives' again really. You could try a proper elimination diet, it helped me. I bought a book to guide me through the process, a bit like this one

Mylittlepuds Sat 08-Dec-12 11:12:56

Thanks got the replies smile

I do think although very cute this man and his machine have been useless. I will put it down to experience. However a healthier diet is a path I want to go down.

Yes I'm all signed up for CBT. Desperate for it to be honest! Anyone had it?

ZandraDee Sat 08-Dec-12 19:44:55

Someone linked to this on a similar thread ages ago and it was very interesting www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south/series2/food_sensitivity_allergy_vega_tests.shtml
Basically, its hogswash!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now