Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Moviprep - Any tips?

(21 Posts)
OldBagWantsNewBag Sat 26-Jan-13 11:03:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Milliways Sat 26-Jan-13 10:51:05

Thank you smile

Well - it does what it says on the tin! grin

I have a headache but feeling ok, and will be leaving in about an hour.

Thanks again.

OldBagWantsNewBag Sat 26-Jan-13 10:48:27

Milliways Fri 25-Jan-13 19:09:25

I tried it neat but adding Orange & Mango squash helps. It can't drink it quickly though - literally one sip followed by water is my max. almost at the end of the first litre now. Sprite is good for taking taste away but I am already gassy so having to limit that. My stomach feels bloated from all this liquid - bit I don't feel hungry any more.

ChablisLover Fri 25-Jan-13 18:57:50

Tis terrible stuff

Dh tried it and thought it wasn't bad but he didn't have to drink 2 litres of it!

Stay close to the loo is the only advice I can give and hold your nose while drinking it.

Had heard lemon cordial makes it a tad more palatable

Milliways Fri 25-Jan-13 18:21:48

Bleurgh! It's not good sad

Milliways Mon 17-Dec-12 16:05:38

Thanks Old Bag! Yes- I work in a surgery so they all take great delight in that. Also - having an endosocopy with gas blown in that end too - I shall be a person to avoid grin

OldBagWantsNewBag Mon 17-Dec-12 14:04:33

It's not the nicest thing I've ever drunk , but nowhere near as bad as I thought .
A bit lemony with a fake sweet taste , and a bit salty .
I didn't add cordial , just took sips / mouthfuls at a time . 2 sips was too much at a time for me .

I had a coffee and 2 digestives in the recovery area before I went home , made for me by one of the nurses .

Milliways Sun 16-Dec-12 16:43:12

Thanks for that, so it was manageable to drink then? I agree with starting earlier but my appt is to arrive by 12 for a 12.20 start so I will be starving by the time I get home later afternoon. Also have to be totally nil by mouth from 6 hours before so not even a cup of tea!
So glad you had a clear result though smile

quick update
Had my colonoscopy this morning , so Moviprep was yesterday .

It's not bad at all . My instructions said to take the first litre at 5pm , and 2nd at 8-9pm . I started earlier , as I didn't want to still be on the loo at midnight !

I started the prep at 2pm , took about an hour to drink the first litre , and needed the loo at 4ish

Top tips ... Wear saggy knickers and tracksuit type bottoms , I would not have had time to undo buttons and unzip trousers .
I spent about an hour in my bedroom , with the door to the ensuite open , and loo ready!

Managed to sit in the sitting room watching TV in the evening , leaving the light on in the loo , couldn't really hang on for long
I went to bed at about 10 ( hungry and felt drained ) didn't need to get up in the night , though I did wake a couple of times .

My appointment was 10 am , was seen promptly ( local NHS hospital ) had a pain killer , no sedation , and it was quite uncomfortable , but bearable .

No polyps found ! Great news .

I was home , wolfing down scrambled eggs on toast before 12 noon

-Milliways thanks ! That's so funny !
I remember last time they wanted me to watch on the screen .
I SO did NOT want to see my bottom like that
< still feels a bit queasy and it's been 3 years >

Milliways Fri 07-Dec-12 20:08:41

Hello Doilooklikeatourist.

I was lookig at old threads and found this link which is hilarious. grin

Thanks OldBagWantsNewBag
I'm sure it will be fine .
My biggest issue would have been missing the final of Strictly Come Dancing , due to my evening on the loo , but luckily it's the following week !
I will check if apple juice has fibre , just thought the flavour was a bit stronger than lemonade , and might be good at disguising the nastiness .
Will just hold my nose and go for it !

OldBagWantsNewBag Fri 07-Dec-12 18:11:09

So glad I found this , as I am having a colonoscopy on the 16th December ( a Sunday ! ) and I've got moviprep .

I'm sure it's going to be disgusting , I've had Kleen prep and Fleet phosphates before , they were both nasty .

I'm thinking of having clear apple juice with it ? What do you think ? Or lemonade ?

I didn't have sedation last time , and it was OK , I still had pain relief and recovered much quicker .

OldBagWantsNewBag Fri 07-Dec-12 17:41:29

Milliways Fri 07-Dec-12 17:04:47

It works that quick? I got the imopression that the first litre took a while.

Thanks both. smile

mildlyinsulting Fri 07-Dec-12 00:33:18

I had a colonoscopy a year ago with no sedation (breastfeeding at the time) and I hate to say it but the moviprep was so much worse. I added cordial, used a straw etc but the only way I could drink it after the first half a litre was whilst on the loo to take my mind off the incessant shitting.
Good luck x

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 06-Dec-12 22:58:29

Milliways Thu 06-Dec-12 17:02:10

I am booked for a gastroscopy & colonoscopy (deep joy) and whilst this will not be until the end Jan, they have given me the wonders of a box of Moviprep to stew about until then.

I have been searching all the threads, which are reassuring re the procedures (I WILL be sedated grin) but apart from "use a straw" have not found any tips on how to stomach that stuff.

The thought of it makes me heave. I hate medicine or anything that smells/tastes/looks rank. (but who doesn't!?)

Instructions say you can add cordial but not blackcurrant - has anyone tried this? Does it help? (One blog said add Vodka - it's a clear fluid.....).

I know I will just have to do it - but 2 litres!

Any tips gratefully received.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now