Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have 9 mouth ulcers.....

(32 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 06-Dec-12 16:37:53

...I can't eat, I'm drooling & in a lot of pain

Pain killers are not touching it - is it completely stupid to go to see the GP?

Does your toothpaste contain sodium lauryl sulfate? I had very bad mouth ulcers as a teenager which we eventually traced to this. I seem to have grown out of it now and can use any toothpaste. You can generally track down one without SLS.

KatyMac Mon 31-Dec-12 08:55:06

I think if it were an allergy to SLS I would be having problems continually - as it is only occasional it's not likely to be my toothpaste (I guess - never really sure with allergies)

magimedi88 Mon 31-Dec-12 13:16:25

My DS (aged 31) used to get horrendous mouth ulcers. He started using sodium lauryl sulfate free toothpaste & also stopped using ibuprofen, which he'd been using for a bad back. His doctor said there is a definite link between ulcers & ibuprofen.

KatyMac Tue 01-Jan-13 21:43:55

I don't take ibuprofen either - it upsets my tummy......

I really think it was an allergy to something I ate or a virus

Varya Tue 01-Jan-13 21:48:09

Poor Katymac, mouth ulcers are so painful. I dab mine with bicarb of soda after cleaning teeth and whenever I can throughout the day. It works well and costs very little.

Cinnamon gives me mouth ulcers (particularly cinnamon jelly bellies).

fusspot66 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:13:45

My DH has reduced the intensity and frequency of his terrible mouth ulcers by eating a egg a day, more when he's bad. He tried the usual washes and bonjelas to no avail. Easy to break an egg into a ramekin or espresso cup with a few drops of oil/ knob of butter, cover with cling film, microwave for about 1 min on full power, or 1min 40 on low power. Every microwave is different. Don't forget to pierce the yolk! Takes seconds, works wonders!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now